Sanity check please - Chinese BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for something cheap to replace my Cressi Travelight which met an untimely end courtesy of an... ignorant person. Got a liveaboard trip to Myanmar coming in a month - I could just rent a jacket, but perhaps it's time to transition to a BP/W setup. However, money is somewhat tight, as I'm about to replace my camera rig as well, so I'd rather not go the XDEEP/Halcyon/whatever route. I also have an inexplicable urge to get it bright canary yellow.

For what it's worth, I dive purely in the tropics, 3mm full wetsuit, always carrying a camera (but the camera rig is very close to neutral), about 10 pounds of lead.

Looking at Aliexpress, I've come up with this:

Backplate - 53.52€ 22% OFF|Aluminium Legierung Technik Tauchen Backplate Flügel BCD Ultraleicht backplane Für Scuba Tauchen Harness System Hardware Backmount|Pool und Zubehör| - AliExpress
Wing - Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com
Harness - 54.84€ 32% OFF|HALTEN TAUCHEN Scuba Tauchen Backplate Harness Set BCD Ultraleicht Backplane Zubehör Gabelung Strap Gewicht Gürtel Dive Zubehör|Pool und Zubehör| - AliExpress
Single tank adapter - 56.76€ 30% OFF|Aluminium Legierung Tauchen Einzigen Tank Adapter Set Für BCD Backplate Halter STA Scuba Tauchen Tank Halterung Ultraleicht Getriebe Ausrüstung|Pool und Zubehör| - AliExpress
Regulator holder - 5.62€ 30% OFF|Halten Sie Tauch schlauch halter Regler Messgerät Oktopus Halter & Clip für Unterwasser Tauchen Taucher bcd Zubehör| | - AliExpress

Am I missing anything for a full working system here? The harness system appears to be complete, the STA comes with bolts and tank bands, the wing doesn't have webbing slots, but with the STA I shouldn't need those, correct?

Is there a good way to add pockets to this? I typically carry a spare mask, DSMB, torch, hat (for sun protection on the surface) and a wet lens or two in my pockets, using both BCD pockets and tech shorts. Moving to this setup would leave me with just the thigh pockets.

Also, I'm pretty partial to using right shoulder dump to vent air from the BCD, and this wing appears to only have it only on the back left. How difficult, if at all possible, would it be to retrofit it with an additional dump valve?

get the dgx 30lb wing. it has an integrated anti-roll pad so you won't need the STA.
super compact and sleek.
not sure about the right shoulder dump. doesn't that get in the way of your regulator hoses?
the regulator hose holder seems a little superfluous. And this coming from a guy who used to use magnets everywhere to hold stuff on.

all in all, though, i'm sure that setup will serve you well.

You don;t need a STA and if you do, they can be had for $10, not $60.

I always buy an STA. Sometimes use it, sometimes don't.

I have a DGX pocket that sides onto my waist strap.

The DGX wing hose is perfectly clear of reg parts. One of the nicest wing setups for sure. No need for another dump. You can roll your left side up to get more air out, but I've never needed to with that wing. Center dump wings suck IMO, on single tank rigs.

Spool and working bolt snap go on my right waist d ring. DSMB gets attached to 2 bungie loops on my back plate. Those holes along it's side, it rests nicely on my right back side. My flashlight gets clipped to my right chest d ring, hangs down and is stuck in a rubber loop on the chest strap.

Might want to rethink yum yum yellow. Sea lions always nibble on my right side. That's where my DSMB is. Sea life loves orange and yellow.

you can add pocket/s to the harness. i assume it's a 2 inch webbing so there are tons of options for pockets. OMS, Dive rite, etc etc sell diff size pockets. The wing on Ali link in the OP definitely needs an STA. STA is always a good thing to have especially for cold water diving although that's not the case for you. less wear and tear on the wing if you use STA. The added weight for travel aluminum STA is insignificant.

as they are trying to save on the manufacturing, i'd be careful of the edges. not sure how smooth they are or sharp. If sharp - you may want to have it sand blasted otherwise sharp edges are not too friendly on your webbing.

on a separate note, i always wonder why travelers prefer aluminum backplates rather than SS. SS is better in the water for weight distribution. Yes it's heavier 5-7 lbs VS a few lbs from the travel perspective. I prefer SS for any diving.

I like how the tank straps are threaded backwards on the sta photo.
Between that and the very flimsy looking STA, I'd look elsewhere.

Other comments.

Backplate seems fine. Get the color you want.

You don't want or need neoprene sleeves on your harness. They just add bulk and a bit of buoyancy. See if you can save a few euro by finding an option without them.

Find a wing with slots and ditch the STA idea. You will only have one rig, so your lose the major advantage of a lightweight/warm water STA of being able to switch wings or plates without having to rethread tank straps, yet still have the disadvantages of extra bulk/weight/parts and having the tank farther from your center of mass. These are admittedly minor issues, but there's just no reason to take them on.

Reg holder is silly. Use a spare silicone snorkel keeper/piece of bungee cord/surgical tubing for your octo. More ideas here: I need recommendation on a good Octo holder.

Learn to use the waist dump. It's so easy to tilt a little and pull that when horizontal.

Pockets are an issue. You can buy ones that slide onto the waist belt, but I'd try to figure out a way to clip off everything that doesn't go into your tech shorts. I clip off torches to the shoulder d-rings. DSMB and spool are pre-attached and clip to the butt d-ring or backplate. They make pouches that bolt to the plate just for DSMBs if you are worried about developing a tail. Here's an example: DGX All-Mesh Lift Bag Sleeve

Not sure what to do about the hat though. I sometimes dive in a sun shirt with hood. I tuck the hood in before the dive and pull it out if I have to wait on the surface.

Keep It Super Simple.
Plate: slot for cam band is a must.
STA: Absolutely not necessary if you can thread the cam band through the slots on the wing and the plate.
Harness + crotch strap: DIY or usually included in the full package.
Hardware: D rings, SS buckle, slides
Wing: the bladder and the fabric are important.

DGX has a nice set up.

I use weight belt instead of pocket.

I like how the tank straps are threaded backwards on the sta photo.
How is it backwards? Please explain. The adapter seems to be oriented the same way I see in photos on brand-name websites. Is it the buckles?

Might want to rethink yum yum yellow. Sea lions always nibble on my right side. That's where my DSMB is. Sea life loves orange and yellow.
Hmm, I've never dived with sea lions, nor do I expect to encounter them, but if sea life is attracted to yellow, that's bonus points in my book :D

on a separate note, i always wonder why travelers prefer aluminum backplates rather than SS. SS is better in the water for weight distribution. Yes it's heavier 5-7 lbs VS a few lbs from the travel perspective. I prefer SS for any diving.
I'm already carrying 40-50 pounds of camera gear... you can see where this is going. I'm actually considering a carbon fiber backplate (example).

You don't want or need neoprene sleeves on your harness. They just add bulk and a bit of buoyancy. See if you can save a few euro by finding an option without them.
All the ready-made kits I see on Aliexpress seem to include them. I suppose I could just buy bulk webbing and other necessary parts, but with zero experience, I don't trust myself to properly put it together with just Internet instructions.

Find a wing with slots and ditch the STA idea. You will only have one rig, so your lose the major advantage of a lightweight/warm water STA of being able to switch wings or plates without having to rethread tank straps, yet still have the disadvantages of extra bulk/weight/parts and having the tank farther from your center of mass. These are admittedly minor issues, but there's just no reason to take them on.
But... but... yellow! :D All the the wings with slots that I see there (example) come in colors I don't want...

Reg holder is silly. Use a spare silicone snorkel keeper/piece of bungee cord/surgical tubing for your octo. More ideas here: I need recommendation on a good Octo holder.
Roger that.

Learn to use the waist dump. It's so easy to tilt a little and pull that when horizontal.
Oh, I know how to use it, I just prefer the shoulder one. I guess it's just a matter of breaking the habit.

Pockets are an issue. You can buy ones that slide onto the waist belt, but I'd try to figure out a way to clip off everything that doesn't go into your tech shorts. I clip off torches to the shoulder d-rings. DSMB and spool are pre-attached and clip to the butt d-ring or backplate. They make pouches that bolt to the plate just for DSMBs if you are worried about developing a tail. Here's an example: DGX All-Mesh Lift Bag Sleeve
What do you think about these? They're technically weight pockets, but there's no reason I couldn't use them for something else.

DGX has a nice set up.
DGX looks nice (albeit in boring black) and is priced well, but unfortunately it's in Florida, and I'm currently based in Thailand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom