yet another 'which bp/w setup' advise...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeremyl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking to switch from my Zeagle Scout (used for ~10yrs) to a backplate/wing setup. I dive exclusively on travel trips, in warm climates an I'm a minimalist. Nothing wrong with the Zeagle, but just wanting something new and I tried a BP last year and really enjoyed the way it felt and the minimalist nature.

I can't remember what I tested out but I think it was Dive Right. The guides there all used (and highly recommended) Techline. One nice feature of the Techline - which Im sure some others have - was a very supple harness, whereas the harness material on the other was very stiff.

I plan to get either a light aluminum or a carbon plate as this will be exclusive for travel. I take very good care of my gear so not really worried about snapping a carbon plate. Also not toooooo concerned about price - I have no reason to spend money for an "H" or pretty colors, but fine to spend an extra buck on quality or function. Also exclusively for single-tank diving. Im a rec diver and go on ~one trip a year - tho that trip might be 6wks with ~75 dives. 90% in SE Asia so weight is important with baggage restrictions on those fantastic flights on Lion Air (honestly the best airline in the entire world, and if you believe that I have a lovely bridge to sell you).

I'm small-ish (5'7", 135lbs) and usually use maybe 4-8lbs with a 3mm or 3/5mm full suite, and maybe a hood and vest sometimes. Sometimes with camera gear, and very likely with a full 'lobster rig' in the future... so I expect 30lb lift max in the wing and maybe a bit less depending on brand.

I'm perfectly happy to mix brands, and seek used. As I'm already on a trip (without gear except mask and computer) I expect it will be a while before I get a kit (unless I find a deal along my travels (Australia, Philippines, Indo)... but as I am traveling a lot on this trip I decided to rent v/s lug.

So mainly looking for a very comfy harness (don't want to have to add pads, and not limited with mobility- i'm pretty fit)... and maybe a brand of BP that has a slightly shorter option for my size, but def only need it to be single-tank and prefer not to need any adapters for that. I may add some small weight pockets - I'm not a big fan of belts but usually just put them on the tank. With camera probably don't need much, but it will be a while before Im taking a camera again. Decided to enjoy a few years without one.

Much Thanks!

Thanks - seems like the small is a bit shorter.
I am curious about experience with the Tecline "H" plates - the AL H is about the same weight as the Carbon from Halcyon (Tecline carbon is ~65g less). Seems like a modern slimed-down plate to remove the excess.
Also curious about the Tecline Peanut wings. Not sure if they still make the 13, which seems ideal size and only 850g (hard to find specs on the wing-only weight of other brands. They of course have their 13 donut still, but seems some thought was put into the peanut as a single-tank wing. Their mini is of course smaller still, but that seems to be for <160cm and Im at 170cm... right at the low end of a 'standard' wing.

I have no particular bias to Tecline - but seems they have made a step (perhaps a good one) to slimming down and modernizing a kit for travel with a single tank.

Helium Ti
Halcyon

It's just a backplate. Any decent plate will do. Its a flat inanimate plate. The plate needs to be short enough so that there's room for a weight belt. Plates harness goes on my waist. Weight belt lower by my hips. If both belts fit, you might not need a shorter plate.

My local use, single tank rig, uses a heavy ss plate, and ss STA. It's a long plate, since I use no weight belt with it.

Wing is the key component. Modern skinny 30# doughnuts with shoulder inflator are where it's at. (Use the DGX wing shape for reference) Mares, and Oxychek have similar wings.

As for Techline, avoid the cinch adjustable clip comfort harness. Use the standard doubles harness if you can.

My wet suit is my padding.

I plan to get either a light aluminum or a carbon plate as this will be exclusive for travel.

I'm small-ish (5'7", 135lbs) and usually use maybe 4-8lbs with a 3mm or 3/5mm full suite, and maybe a hood and vest sometimes. Sometimes with camera gear, and very likely with a full 'lobster rig' in the future... so I expect 30lb lift max in the wing and maybe a bit less depending on brand

So mainly looking for a very comfy harness and maybe a brand of BP that has a slightly shorter option for my size, but def only need it to be single-tank and prefer not to need any adapters for that. I may add some small weight pockets

Much Thanks!
I would look at the Sub gavity BP/W system, cheaper than the H and they have a 3mm aluminum short plate. You have choice of 5 backplates, 4 wing sizes (5 colours) and 2 harness options. Their wings do not require a single tank adapater.They have backplate trim weight pockets and 3 weight pocket options.
I have their 3mm aluminum plate, 26 lb wing and adjustable harness. I love their adjustable harness, it's clean, simple and no plastic parts.

For the 'modern donut' from DGX I assume this is their S1 product?

Seems the weight adv for carbon is very minimal vs price ~$100ish for an AL plate vs $400+ for carbon, saving ~150g. And other than the Tecline "H" harness there is no practical diff b/n the various 3mm AL harnesses, tho a few (even Tecline) have slightly shorter ones that I will likely go for.

The "H" still has me intrigued... but it "seems" it is geared exclusively towards the "Peanut" wing (which itself is ~2X the price of the other batch of recommended 'single tank' wings, and doesn't really save more than perhaps 50g again. Tho some places do sell the Tecline package for a decent/competitive price vs the other brands (I will be passing thru KL and SIN where prices seem more competitive for Tecline).

So I'll be picking up "whoever's" 3mm AL 'short/mid' plate, and prob DGX wing... and I'll see if I can pick at the harnesses for feel/flexibility but again this is min in weight and cost so if it ends up being swapped so be it. DGX claims to be a balance of soft vs/ function.

So mainly looking for a very comfy harness (don't want to have to add pads, and not limited with mobility- i'm pretty fit)...

If you don't want add pads, just go with a normal harness, clean and simple.
You wet suit is the padding, I assume you are diving single tank,

Doubles with bare shoulders is the webbing is uncomfortable, but very few people are doing that.

Most people run too tight shoulder straps at first when new to back plates...

I see no reason NOT to use the softer straps from Tecline. It's all the same except a softer material to feel a little less stiff. Yes I'll be diving single tank with a wetsuit (tho on rare occasion w/o a suit if it's really warm.

The stiff single-piece webbing, for me, is kind of a pain to adjust or thread. But I think the accessories I add (weight pouches, weights, knife, lights, etc) may ride better than they would with softer material. Not sure, but it’s something to consider.
Edit: when a say “ride”, I’m suggesting the stiffer webbing may be a more solid mounting point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom