DGX SoftPack vs BP&W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeerNye

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I am looking to get back to diving more this year, and I’d like to upgrade my BCD setup. I am looking at getting either a DGX SoftPack, or their backplate and wing.

Mostly this would be for Great Lakes diving, along with some quarries and such up here. Would also use it for travel, but maybe once a year. I’d also like to get my rescue certification this year, if that matters. Mayyyyyybe some tec stuff in a few years.

Anyone have experience with the DGX SoftPack? It looks comfortable, and looks similar to the DiveRite Transpac. My friend has one of those and loves it. Or should I just go for their BP&W setup?

Any and all feedback would be welcome. And apologies if this has been discussed and I missed it.

Thanks!
Beernye

What problem do you see the Softpack solving and what advantage would it provide over a standard BP/W?

Go for a BPW

I used the DiveRite TravelPac many years ago for travel, but you end up wearing lead. I have been traveling with a BPW since 2015 and it's a lot easier when I'm diving.

What problem do you see the Softpack solving and what advantage would it provide over a standard BP/W?
It solves the problem of my current BCD being non-functional lol

In all seriousness, I don’t know that it does have any advantage over their BP&W, but I wanted to get some input from people that have used it. It looks like it’s got more padding (which I know, means more lead I’d need) and still a lot of modularity (if I wanted to change my setup later.)

I’d guess both would be fine for single tank dives with a 7mm farmer John or some tropical vacation dives.

Go for a BPW

I used the DiveRite TravelPac many years ago for travel, but you end up wearing lead. I have been traveling with a BPW since 2015 and it's a lot easier when I'm diving.
Another vote for a BP&W, thanks!

I’d guess both would be fine for single tank dives with a 7mm farmer John
SS plate for that, and perhaps some additional weight if not using a steel tank

SS plate for that, and perhaps some additional weight if not using a steel tank
That was going to be another question I had later on. Thanks! Seems like it makes the most sense to go BP&W for the diving I’d be doing.

I own both a BPW and SoftPack. I bought the BPW first and got the SoftPack right before I started DM training so that I would have something that looked similar to the shop's rental equipment. In the water, they feel exactly the same.

If you do get into tech diving you'll need a backplate - the SoftPack is not suitable for doubles.

If you get into teaching, you may want to look at the SoftPack or TransPac or similar (but that's another can of worms). One advantage of the SoftPack is that the shoulder strap buckles make it much easier to demonstrate rescues.

I was worried about the SoftPack's durability before I bought it, but that hasn't been a problem. It's definitely not as bullet proof as a BPW with a single piece harness, but stands up to normal diving just fine.

I own both a BPW and SoftPack. I bought the BPW first and got the SoftPack right before I started DM training so that I would have something that looked similar to the shop's rental equipment. In the water, they feel exactly the same.

If you do get into tech diving you'll need a backplate - the SoftPack is not suitable for doubles.

If you get into teaching, you may want to look at the SoftPack or TransPac or similar (but that's another can of worms). One advantage of the SoftPack is that the shoulder strap buckles make it much easier to demonstrate rescues.

I was worried about the SoftPack's durability before I bought it, but that hasn't been a problem. It's definitely not as bullet proof as a BPW, but stands up to normal diving just fine.
Thanks man! I appreciate you taking some time to answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom