Bright Weights for BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, while an 18-23 lb wing seems like a good idea in theory, it does limit you if you decide to dive cooler/cold water and doesn't give you much reserve if you need to assist another diver. Most 30-35lb wings are still pretty compact, and the difference between the HOG bungee wings in 23 and 32lb sizes is minimal.
This seems important since my local diving is colder San Diego waters. They do have a Hollis ST35 as well. I'll have to look into comparing the two for travel.

Couple of thoughts: Most people don't travel (fly) with their weights. And I recommend a simple, inexpensive weight belt (I prefer a rubber weight belt for recreational diving wet) that releases easily (by you or your rescuer) and drops away readily.
I have only ever rented whole dive gear setups when I fly somewhere or even dive here at home. How convenient is it to just fly with my own belt and rent weights? Or am I better off just renting the belts there as well since I won't have my own weights?

This seems important since my local diving is colder San Diego waters. They do have a Hollis ST35 as well. I'll have to look into comparing the two for travel.

I have only ever rented whole dive gear setups when I fly somewhere or even dive here at home. How convenient is it to just fly with my own belt and rent weights? Or am I better off just renting the belts there as well since I won't have my own weights?
Tanks and weights (weight belt) are often (almost always?) included if you're flying somewhere to dive with a dive concession. No reason why you can't put their solid weights on your personal weight belt (I did this very thing with my rubber belt in Grand Cayman), but one should ask beforehand, probably. Figure out how you'll keep track of your personal weight belt. I'm almost certain the dive op won't want you taking your weight belt with their weights on it up to your room, for example!

rx7diver

Since you're discussing travel to warmer waters I wouldn't even bother with a weight belt. You won't need all that much lead with light exposure protection. Two pockets on the harness and two more on the upper cam band will handle more than enough and allow you to distribute it to help get you flat in the water.

How do you feel about the buckle on the MAKO belts? Looks like a standard belt buckle, and thus there's definitely a potential issue trying to quick release it in an emergency.
From the Mako website: "With our rubber freedive belt, the pin DOES release automatically by pulling on the hanging strap (one hand operation)."

1000015246.jpg

For local dives without much weight, I use the Mako trim weights on the belt of my BP/W, that attach and detach individually with their own bungee.

Otherwise I use a rubber belt. I had a Mako belt for a while until the rubber started to deteriorate, and now I have one with a friction catch instead of the pin. Either style works fine.

Im wondering how having all that weight up high will do your posture in the water. I see head down /feet up. Not good.

Also, whats the point of making the weight bright?

As mentioned, a simple weight belt, and some trim weights on the tank strap (if needed) is easier and better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom