Glovers Atoll Belize - too good to be true? Help Please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

airmonkey

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, myself and my friend are seriusly looking at going to Belize in the not too distant future and are looking to go to Glovers Atoll but to be honest it all seems a bit cheap, which in some ways is no bad thing as we're not the wealthiest people in the entire world but it does make me wonder somehow.. if maybe it is too good to be true?

Has anyone been to this part of the world or have any information at all especially regarding Glovers Atoll.

Anything at all would be greatly appreciated!

This is the website that we've been looking at..

http://www.glovers.com.bz

Thanks

I haven't been on this caye, wish I had, but I have been on others in Belize. It's not too good to be true, what they show is what you will get. Once again read/check carefully, this is not a grand deluxe resort, for what you pay you don't get that much (peace is priceless but...), it will be on the rough side. An example, when I went, on Tobacco caye, for the shower they were mixing the shower fresh water(rain) with salt water when it didn't rain enough.

For the diving, you are on the right board (sorry that I can't confirm anything about the equipment ro dive sites). But for the lodging you could try: lonelyplanet.com board , if you want info on this island, because a lot of backpackers are going there. When I went, the shop had brand new equipment, the only problem was the fact that the owner/operator was a real as****le (don't forget, it was not on the same caye).

Other then this I don't think that you should regret this place. Except when you are in the hurricane season, I don't think that there could be cooler place.

An advice, bring things to read (books, lots of books), if not you will see that there is not much to do on such a small Caye in the middle of nowhere. This is the example of what I was doing on mine: wake up, breakfast, digesting/nap, reading, 1-2 hours of snorkel, lunch, digesting/nap, reading, snorkeling, nap/reading, diner,..., already 8 pm, have to go to the bed, it's way to late, so tired, such a busy day! ....

thanks! I'll check out the lonely planet board. The current plan for the holiday (we're hoping to go for about a month) is just simply dive, dive, dive and then talk about the dives!

While Glovers is still a nice dive, it doesn't compare to what it was 20 years ago. The reef system has lost so much of its color. The once blue and red structures have mostly turned into browns. Still, you will find some great critters. The last time I was there was several years ago and stayed at Hamanasi resort. It was a bit of a drive to get to Glovers, and you paid a bit extra for it, it was well worth it. I really loved Hamanasi. Just be aware, if you night dive on their dock, your lights will attract LOTS of sea wasps (box jellies). They chased me out of the water. Too bad, as the dock had plenty of critters to shoot.

The last time at Glovers I found a tiny crab, that I think is one of the neck crabs. The DM said he had never seen one like it before. He was pretty nice.

Hamanasi Eco Resort
2286974510_42b8b87702_o.jpg

2286983146_41cc05b9ff_o.jpg

2286974522_b0a7a73206_o.jpg

We did a 3 tank charter to Glover's Reef on our last trip to Belize, with Hamanasi Divers, from the resort pictured in Allison's post above. Glover's was absolutely stellar. The island was like a crown of white sand, cross-trekked by Conch, spilling off into the abyss through coral and lava swim-throughs... and full of life.

Some of my friends arrived in Hopkins today, I wish I were there. Already planning our next trip.

I don't know anything about the resort pictured by the OP, but I'd love to try it, perhaps in combo with a mainland stay, to keep my teenagers sane.

I dived it yesterday, on a boat from Avadon Divers in Placencia. I agree with the comment that the bright colours have mostly turned to browns, as in fact they have everywhere in this part of the world, but they were still very pretty dives. The loss of colour is due either to sea warming or sea pollution, don't know which, but seems to be something we just have to accept these days.

The trip with Avadon incidentally was superb. Their Newton rode pretty rough seas with aplomb, their crew managed to combine being very pleasant with being efficiant, and other than interesting exits from the water the day was a relaxing swim with friends in very pleasant if not stupendous scenery. Although much better than a Pro-48, one of the worst dive boats I know for ride quality, the Newton still bucks a bit when stationary, and getting to and up the ladder for most people (including myself) requires assistance from the crew in-water as well as on the boat. The Avadon folks did this most important of tasks very effectively.

I haven't dived the Red Sea since 2000. Can anyone who dives it regularly say whether the bright colours have dimmed there as well?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom