Cebu Pacific Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am just on my way to Sipadan having spent a successful couple of days whale shark spotting in Donsol.

This morning we flew on a domestic flight from Legaspi to Manila and paid an excess baggage fee of 1560 peso (13 kg @ 120 peso per kg) (between two people). In other words not a disaster.

We have just checked onto an international flight from Manila to Kota Kinabulu and paid 3200 peso (11 kg @ 300 peso per kg) (again between two people). In this case a little more serious.

So just to warn others that it is CONSIDERABLY MORE EXPENSIVE to travel with Cebu Pacific on an international flight with excess baggage. The reasons for this are as yet unclear, since none of the staff present could clarify the difference. Same weight, same day, same company, same aircraft. The mind boggles! Perhaps we're now running on super high octane aviation fuel.

I am just on my way to Sipadan having spent a successful couple of days whale shark spotting in Donsol.

This morning we flew on a domestic flight from Legaspi to Manila and paid an excess baggage fee of 1560 peso (13 kg @ 120 peso per kg) (between two people). In other words not a disaster.

We have just checked onto an international flight from Manila to Kota Kinabulu and paid 3200 peso (11 kg @ 300 peso per kg) (again between two people). In this case a little more serious.

So just to warn others that it is CONSIDERABLY MORE EXPENSIVE to travel with Cebu Pacific on an international flight with excess baggage. The reasons for this are as yet unclear, since none of the staff present could clarify the difference. Same weight, same day, same company, same aircraft. The mind boggles! Perhaps we're now running on super high octane aviation fuel.

We had about $100 USD extra in excess baggage fees per person on the Kota Kinabulu to Manila flight (and this was with the 3 camera lenses stuffed in my pocket and camera around my neck :) ). Its a pain in the butt, but as far as we found, Cebu is the only company making this flight direct. So its the difference between a 2:30 flight, or a 7-8 hour trip that takes you back through KL or Singapore.

Slightly off topic.. but on same flight we have just had a bomb hoax which delayed us for three hours. We have now missed our connecting flight to Tawau, and hence a day diving around Mabul / Sipadan. Whilst appreciating that these things have to be taken seriously, the performance of the airport security staff and those of Cebu Pacific was comical.

The aircraft stopped well away from the terminal and we were not allowed off. We were told that there was a major security problem at the airport (but not that it involved us). After ten minutes we were told that a bus was coming to collect us and bring us to the terminal itself. We were then disembarked onto the runway. There was no bus. A small number of passengers got on a pickup and away to the terminal building. By now those passengers with connecting flights were getting anxious, but nothing was done to help. Several planes landed and took off. We were left standing on the tarmac right next to our aircraft with the supposed bomb on board!!

A while later a couple more pickups arrived and we managed to get on one. We sat in the back of this for another twenty minutes, before eventually getting to the terminal building. Inside the baggage collection room, we were again told that there was a major security problem. Our hand baggage was searched thoroughly. We were searched thoroughly. More police arrived. After another wait we were put in lines of ten passengers, and our hand luggage searched for a second time. Our passports were checked, and a passenger list made. They then used this list as a register, calling our names out individually to check who was present. Our main bags were then brought manually into the room. We had to identify our bags, and they were checked off against our baggage labels/tickets.

This all happened in a quite comically haphazard manner, with various officials trying to speak in pidgeon English to a disoraganised crowd of passengers. They also forgot who they had searched the first time, so some passengers just said that they had already been done, and went unsearched. Those that had been searched were le3ft standing next to those that hadn't, and were therefore a potential bomb threat, for over two and a half hours!!

As a final insult, we were told we had to wait for another flight to clear customs before we could leave!! We eventually left. No explanation or apology was given. We are now spending an unplanned night in KK, and have to try to book and pay for another flight to Tawau tomorrow, if there is any availabiliy. Thanks Cebu Pacific, you really haven't impressed today!!! And you never really showed that passenger safety was paramount at anytime!!!!!

Hi All

Looks like Im one step closer to diving Philippines!!! Anyone had any experience with Cebu Air care to share please? Checked bags are 15 KG, do they hit you if your over?

Also how do they run - on time or delays?

I will be flying via KL to Cebu with Manila transit.

Thanks!

I occasionally fly them. They are as reliable as any Philippine Airline, mostly on time. One time they cancelled a Cebu-Manila flight in the early AM and I almost missed my Manila departure, but there were flights every hour so I sprinted and made the connection. I had left enough time for such mishaps. They canceled due to not enough passengers on the 5AM flight.

I always end up paying them for excess baggage. They weigh your checkin and hand carried luggage religiously and are picky about it. I paid almost as much for excess baggage as for my fare, no bargain. I finally decided to fly direct to Cebu mostly, to avoid the delay and hassle of Cebu Pacific.

Most of their cheap fares are non-refundable. They state it right up front. I have had to throw away tickets because a connecting flight was canceled, they are not helpful.

I use now Cathay Pacific now, direct to Cebu. Philippine Airlines is too expensive, but they do have non-stops. China Air never seems to be able to confirm a reservation for me, even though they are low cost, I can't buy their ticket.

I'm flying Cebu P in a few days and didn't know about the Sports allowance at the time of booking - totally my fault. Does anyone know if you can still get it prior to traveling or just the discounted price for excess weight.

Thanks so much!

I'm flying Cebu P in a few days and didn't know about the Sports allowance at the time of booking - totally my fault. Does anyone know if you can still get it prior to traveling or just the discounted price for excess weight.

Thanks so much!
I think you can.
Go to the home page and click on manage booking. Lock in your fligth confirmation number together with your e-mail address, destination etc etc. Your itinerary receipt will show up. Click on "add on purchase".
Make sure you pack your equipment in SEPARATE bag ie TWO check-in bags, if purchase Sport Equipment allowance.

Some of the 5J ground crews are the most unfriendly/unhelpful/undertrained......etc etc Pinoys I ever met. The cabin crews are so much better and maganda.

Also worth noting that for some routes with Cebu Pacific landing in Manila and flying on with a Cebu Pacific domestic (eg to Caticlan), it's not always possible to prepay for the sports gear - which you won't discover until you've paid for your flights - and if contacting customer services via their 'contact us' function online to try and prepay, they are generally too ignorant to respond to you - as they know they can sting you for more expensive 'excess baggage' charges when checking in.

Cheers

Dear community,

I read the thread very accurately and it looks like I’m still in “terra incognita” in terms of CPA rules, regulations and “bargains”. I will try to describe my plans and hopefully will be able to get some advises.

I’m planning my holiday end December 2013 – beginning January 2014 at Southern Leyte. I can fly from HK (HK is fixed) to either Cebu and take ferry to Leyte or to Tacloban (one more variable for Tacloban: either via Manila or Cebu). The trip will be for group of two with 1 diver and 1 non-diver. It looks like the cheapest flights are the CPA.

In terms of luggage we will have:
1. one case with “general” stuff (about 20kg),
2. one case with diving stuff (about 20kg as well),
3. small carry-on case with “general” stuff (about 7-8kg),
4. small carry-on case with all photo-video stuff (about 18-20kg);

The 1st question is about “sport equipment” rule:
- if I will take 30kg allowance for both of us for return flights it will cost HKD632,
- if I will take 15kg + sport equipment allowances it will cost HKD960 (2xHKD130 + 2xHKD350). Obviously 960>632 for the same weight. Where is the bargain? Sport equipment declaration will imply a lot of additional restrictions at higher cost. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

The 2nd question is about case for photo-video equipment. It exceeds the limit for carry-on luggage. Are the any exceptions for photo-video-computer equipment and if not, how strict are the CPA for hand luggage?

Thanks for any help in advance.

In terms of luggage we will have:
1. one case with “general” stuff (about 20kg),
2. one case with diving stuff (about 20kg as well),
3. small carry-on case with “general” stuff (about 7-8kg),
4. small carry-on case with all photo-video stuff (about 18-20kg);
My suggestion:
1. Fly HKG/CEB direct.
2. Forget about the sport equipment. It doesn't make sense at all.
3. Buy 2 x 30kg allowance.
4. Split your audio equip between U2 as carry-on(7kg each). CPA can be painfully straight on excess luggage. So pack your excess in another small bag or two and do not present them for check-in.

My suggestion:
1. Fly HKG/CEB direct.
2. Forget about the sport equipment. It doesn't make sense at all.
3. Buy 2 x 30kg allowance.
4. Split your audio equip between U2 as carry-on(7kg each). CPA can be painfully straight on excess luggage. So pack your excess in another small bag or two and do not present them for check-in.
Thanks a lot - I'm moving to the same direction

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom