High pressure vs low pressure tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The BIG question is, will anybody be able to fill them to that level.

Unless it's an old shop with an OLD compressor, there is no reason for a dive shop to not fill tanks to their rated pressure. I dive with HP100s and just checked my last 10 dives with the following data:

Avg 3349 psi
Median 3366
Min 3206
Max 3452

These are all initial descent values, after blowing out valve, assembly (in one case disassembly, replacing leaking o-ring, and reassembly), prebreathing both regs, inflating BC for surface swim, etc.

If your LDS won't (or can't, but mostly won't) fill your tank to at least its rated pressure, it's time to find a new LDS.

For the OP, as others have said, your SAC will get better over time

Last edited:
If your LDS won't (or can't, but mostly won't) fill your tank to at least its rated pressure, it's time to find a new LDS.

I do not dispute that most shops have the ability to fill HP tanks. What most lack is the ability to consistently deliver cooled tanks at rated pressure or higher. You can determine from your armchair that it is time to find a new LDS however some of us are limited in options there. With the diving I typically do a slightly short fill is rarely an issue.but if I have a charter booked or am planning deeper dives then I will check at the shop AND wait there for them to top it off so I have a decent fill.

But, a "short" fill on a HP tank is not entirely uncommon in most areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.......figure it out

Is that full (of gas) weight or empty?

Empty. Filled to the rated capacity the HP100 would gain about 25% more air weight as it holds about 25% more. Filled to the same pressure they would be about the same.

And that is of course assuming the data I was working with from this site, ( Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan ), is correct.

---------- Post added July 4th, 2013 at 04:34 PM ----------

I know one shop that will give me AL80's with 3300 every single time. Hand them an LP95(+) and it comes back as 2400. Come back and ask for a top off to 2640 and it's like pulling teeth. Don't even think about getting a full HP fill. It's getting better but it's tough...

All my LP tanks are vintage. The newest might be 1975 and I've got one or two from the 50's. If I want overfills I have to top them off myself from an HP tank. The shops around here won't do it.

4000 psi fills in my HP tanks on the other hand aren't too hard to get.

Get a big tank & enjoy yourself. Your SAC will likely come down with experience, but that's going to take time, who wants their dives cut short in the meantime, and if you later 'don't really need it,' gee, you'll have a lot of extra gas on your dives in case you or a dive buddy needs it (e.g.: in an emergency).

On the issue of 'gear solution to a skills problem,' I see that come up on a number of these threads on the forum. And the common scenario is this:

1.) Diver is a MAN.
2.) Diver is often fairly large. Maybe not always, but commonly.
3.) Diver may be fairly new, or even moderately experienced.
4.) Diver is often discouraged from getting a big tank (e.g.: like my HP 130).

Now, here's the funny thing. I've yet to see a petite female fresh out of OW with the same level of competence, but blessed with a naturally low SAC, told she shouldn't be diving an 80 cf tank because that's a gear solution to a skills problem, and she should dive a 63 cf tank & work on getting her SAC down a good deal further because otherwise her dive times are too short.

What is the difference?

The only difference I see is that for vacation diving, 80 cf tanks are the most commonly offered, and it's good to have familiarity with them if that's all that's offered where you're going to go.

For local diving, I dive an HP 130 steel. In Cozumel, I went with Living Underwater, which provided 120 cf steel tanks. In Bonaire, St. Thomas & other Caribbean locations I've dove, I made do with the 80 cf aluminum tanks that were on hand.

Richard.

Its not just the amount of air. Its how the tank fits you. I bought AL80s. Then I went through a phase where I rented a wide variety of tanks to get more air. I settled on HP 100s. In NC I never have trouble with a full fill. I rent when I travel.

I am 5'7" tall. The AL80s tended to bump the rear a bit. The much shorter HP 100s fit me great. I have dove longer and larger HPs and ALs but it gets to be back to being a bit long and I am hitting NDL before I need air with the HP 100s already.

Try several tanks and don't just look at air. Look at how the tank feels when you dive it.

Get a big tank & enjoy yourself. Your SAC will likely come down with experience, but that's going to take time, who wants their dives cut short in the meantime, and if you later 'don't really need it,' gee, you'll have a lot of extra gas on your dives in case you or a dive buddy needs it (e.g.: in an emergency).

On the issue of 'gear solution to a skills problem,' I see that come up on a number of these threads on the forum. And the common scenario is this:

1.) Diver is a MAN.
2.) Diver is often fairly large. Maybe not always, but commonly.
3.) Diver may be fairly new, or even moderately experienced.
4.) Diver is often discouraged from getting a big tank (e.g.: like my HP 130).

Now, here's the funny thing. I've yet to see a petite female fresh out of OW with the same level of competence, but blessed with a naturally low SAC, told she shouldn't be diving an 80 cf tank because that's a gear solution to a skills problem, and she should dive a 63 cf tank & work on getting her SAC down a good deal further because otherwise her dive times are too short.

What is the difference?

The only difference I see is that for vacation diving, 80 cf tanks are the most commonly offered, and it's good to have familiarity with them if that's all that's offered where you're going to go.

For local diving, I dive an HP 130 steel. In Cozumel, I went with Living Underwater, which provided 120 cf steel tanks. In Bonaire, St. Thomas & other Caribbean locations I've dove, I made do with the 80 cf aluminum tanks that were on hand.

Richard.

I agree the whole 'gear solution to skills problem' is bunk at times. Every situation should be viewed as different given not all people are the same height. For a bit my diver partner was my ex who was about 5'4, and to say I should just dive more to get my SAC in tune with hers misses the point that as my SAC improves, so doesn't hers so back to the first problem me hitting turn pressure well before mine. I am in the 6'4 range and a AL80 feels awkward on my back and every experienced diver I know says to try out the longer tanks to help trim me out better.

Last edited:
Unless it's an old shop with an OLD compressor, there is no reason for a dive shop to not fill tanks to their rated pressure. I dive with HP100s and just checked my last 10 dives with the following data:

Avg 3349 psi
Median 3366
Min 3206
Max 3452

These are all initial descent values, after blowing out valve, assembly (in one case disassembly, replacing leaking o-ring, and reassembly), prebreathing both regs, inflating BC for surface swim, etc.

For the OP, as others have said, your SAC will get better over time

We have one dive shop that does a good fill around here (Eugene Skin Divers Supply) and it is 1 hour away - and it is not towards the ocean which is where I dive. The South Beach Marina does a good fill, if you have a 3000psi tank. Mine are HP 3442s 100s. There was a place 1 hour down the Coast (Florence, Oregon) that the girl would give you a perfect fill every time - but again, they are 1 hour away and I don't believe they are still open. But when I ask one of the local shops to top it off, it got so unpleasant with either blaming the customer or the owner and workers (or now x-wife) blaming each other. Was it worth it for the air? Well, my buddy (and others) have considered or have got their own air compressors. It's easy to say, go to another shop, but sometimes that isn't an easy option. I've decided to just buy enough tanks, use the best dive shop, and avoid the drama (Can you believe that you have to be anxious to ask a shop to deliver what they promised?). Well, I got more anxious about asking and they got tired of me and we parted ways. The motive of most divers is just to be able to dive and have a dive shop that will be pleasant and help you, not hassle you.

Anyways, I prefer Steel HP 3442 100s. 119 are too big and heavy for me climbing or the jetties, and I'm certain that no one would give me an LP overfill, as hard as it has become to get a decent fill to the rated 3442!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom