Fiji Shark dive near Denarau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, there is a ferry that goes from Denaru clear up to the top of the Yasawas. We took it up to Blue Lagoon Beach Resort and although that trip took about 4 hours it was actually a very nice experience. Beautiful scenery and periodic stops for the resorts along the way to bring people out and pick people up from the ferry. For a few extra bucks you can be in the air conditioned area up top and they will serve you some snacks and drinks along the way

The Mamanucca Islands just to the North of you has some decent dives. There is a particular shark dive they do at a site they call Supermarket. With the amount of experience you have, it will be a pretty good dive for you. It's not going to be Galapagos quality but you'll see some good stuff and some sharks. You might not be able to get there directly from your current location but it's an easy place to get to from Denaru. If you are going for an anniversary, it would be worth staying a day or two up in those islands at a place like Musket Cove or Mana Island. I believe there is a ferry to get over there but not certain. Search for those resorts and see what info there is.

The supermarket is a great dive, although the operator I dived with wouldn't take beginners there as it's a drift dive in deepish water plus it was remote from the resort i stayed at (Tokoriki) so they also didn't want to go there without a reasonable number of divers due to the fuel cost (I find in most of the non-diving resorts in Fiji there's usually only a couple of divers wanting to dive each day) although the owner decided he'd like to do it so ended up taking only 2 of us. Tokoriki also has an interesting giant clam regeneration program going on, they're pretty impressive!

And +1 (actually +100) for Taveuni, superb diving esp the white wall. Not for the inexperienced though, the current was phenomenal!

I believe we dove Supermarket from Mana Island. On my recent Nai'a trip, the village they work with is also doing a giant clam regeneration program as well. Huge clams. They give clams to different areas to plant in the reefs. I found some here and there throughout out the weeks diving though they weren't giant yet. Really great that they are doing this as they are exceptional things to see in person.

---------- Post added July 31st, 2013 at 01:19 PM ----------

Just a further note to say there are multiple beautiful places up there and the Yasawas have the "desert island" locations you see in pictures. They filmed Blue Lagoon up there. There are multiple backpacker places up there with some having a decent experience for very cheap. That would also make for an interesting anniversary of just living the good life on the cheap.

Thank you for all the comments and suggestion. It is a bit too far to go to other island if we not going to stay in that island. The flight and accomodation have been booked and paid. We are not able to change the accomodation, as I am flight next Monday. I have contact quite a few dive ops, I quite like the scubabula, but they have fully booked for early next week. I am thinking about the Whitetip Marine Adventure, have anyone heard this before? Depart from Denarau, supermarket dive site can be a choice, but depend on the weather and experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom