White Balance Settings while shooting RAW in OMD EM5 (with and without strobes)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Benny - just my 2 cents - I suggest always shooting in RAW, with white balance set to AUTO. For ambient light shots, you should adjust white balance, contrast and levels in Lightroom when you get home from your dives. Good luck! - Scott

Benny - just my 2 cents - I suggest always shooting in RAW, with white balance set to AUTO. For ambient light shots, you should adjust white balance, contrast and levels in Lightroom when you get home from your dives. Good luck! - Scott

Hello,

I always shoot in RAW. Are you saying that RAW pics are effected by the camera setting for WB? I am confused here since I am getting what appears to be conflicting ideas here.

RAW files are not affected by manual nor Auto WB settings. RAW files aren't even 'pictures' yet- they're just 10Mb of 'data'.

By writing the 'data' to jpeg- one creates a picture and the ink is dried. There is a limited amount of post-editing that one can do.

Personally I manually WB (even though I don't have to) while shooting RAW without a strobe. It helps me 'see' the picture that it might become through post-editing. I hate to say it... but YMMV.

Hello,

I always shoot in RAW. Are you saying that RAW pics are effected by the camera setting for WB? I am confused here since I am getting what appears to be conflicting ideas here.

No it is not affected. RAW is just the record of what the sensor saw. No WB, no sharpness, no art filter....

Only jpg is affected by these things. Once they are in the jpg, they can't be removed. Just say no. No jpg, no cry. :)

So with RAW, one still needs to set WB to Auto when using strobes and to manual when not using strobes and does corrections later in LR? In other words WB manipulation in the camera still effects the pic in RAW?
Pretty much... I don't have a problem reviewing the shot when using auto WB, I have a problem seeing it! The 2.00 diopters in my mask do help.

Having said that, I do have Inon Z240-3 strobes that do an exceptional job regulating light.

Back
Top Bottom