Shooting Something White For White Balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jafo19D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just bought a pair flippers and chose the Seawing SuperNovas which come in black and white (Ok I'm just kidding about calling them flippers). When choosing the color of the fins, I recalled reading somewhere that it helps with white balance if you choose something white or even gray so I got the white fins.

So now that I have white fins what white balance setting should I use on my GP10 if I'm going to be shooting a quick frame of my fins every clip? Do I have to do this for every clip or just when I change my depth?

Thanks!

A white wrist slate might be easier than trying to get your fins in the frame....

A white wrist slate might be easier than trying to get your fins in the frame....
Ok got it, but what settings do I use and do I have to do that before every clip?

find that really pale person on the boat covered in zinc oxide. you know the one.

Ok got it, but what settings do I use and do I have to do that before every clip?
I don't believe you need to as long as you don't turn the camera off. I think once the camera is on and you shoot a white balance shot, you're good to go. For what it's worth, if you're diving in a place with white/light bottom sand, etc., you can simply shoot the sand. Fins and a slate obviously work.

I shoot with a GoPro and a pretty decent light package (dual 3000 lumen Sea Life Sea Dragons) and never shoot a white balance shot. Settings I use are: 1080p, 60fps or 120fps (120fps better for slo-mo), Wide, Protune On, Stabilization on. The videos turn out just fine for what I'm using them for...sharing with friends, social media, etc. Have fun and good luck!

I shoot ambient light in JPEG with a Canon G7X that has a one button white balance shortcut button. I shoot a small gray card that is on a retractor from my left chest D-ring whenever I make a significant change in depth, around 10 feet, or there is a significant change in lighting or visibility. Works quite well, I do no processing. There are photos in all my trip reports,

Actually white balance is preferably done over %18 grey. Its called neutral grey.
And yes. I am afraid you need to shoot it whenever light conditions change. It changes with depth of course.

Actually white balance is preferably done over %18 grey. Its called neutral grey.
And yes. I am afraid you need to shoot it whenever light conditions change. It changes with depth of course.
Do I set white balance to auto?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom