Felt like I cheated on my LDS...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I have found an element of drama in most shops unlike any other industry I patronize. I have been surprised to hear some amazing gossip come back to me and sometimes they seem worse than a bunch of old bitties sitting around the mahjong board.

To me, it isn't just dive shops. I think it might be niche hobby shops. The yarn stores I used to go to when I was an avid knitter were the worst. So much so I just stopped going altogether and ONLY bought online. I missed the community, but didn't want to deal with the drama. The fabric stores (I quilt) are quite bad too. I think it is just competition is tough, and it is really hard for small businesses, and some business owners just don't know how to handle the atmosphere.

I agree with folks that the LDS handled this very well, I was just surprised at my own feelings on the matter. I get they're a business and as a consumer I have the right to take my business wherever I'd like, but I feel like they've earned my business so I think that's why I felt bad. On the other hand, I'm really excited for the new reg so that guilty feeling is going away :)

Don't feel guilty there mat4ov. Not every shop is everything to every diver. It sounds like your local business is an understanding kind of owner. And that's good. And you know they will be there for you if they can. And that's enough to know. Which HOG did you go with? B.

I ordered a cold water D1 with the classic second stage

Just out of curiosity Mat, did you make sure the shop couldn't bring it in for you? The only reason I ask, is because last time I was wanting something specific that my shop didn't carry, the owner said she could order it for me.

Just out of curiosity Mat, did you make sure the shop couldn't bring it in for you? The only reason I ask, is because last time I was wanting something specific that my shop didn't carry, the owner said she could order it for me.

Yeah I made sure they weren't able to bring it in first. I checked on that when they were showing me the Hollis regs.

Yeah I made sure they weren't able to bring it in first. I checked on that when they were showing me the Hollis regs.

Not that I don't love Hog.... But why not Hollis? They are similar and fine regs also.

Not that I don't love Hog.... But why not Hollis? They are similar and fine regs also.

Two reasons, first is the rave reviews I've seen here. Second, I'm diving on a bit of a budget and the Hog was on sale for quite a bit less than the Hollis. I'm not comfortable enough to buy used and the Hog was $199 where the Hollis was over $400. I know $400 isn't much as far as gear is concerned, but I just paid for a wedding so I need a little time to rebuild my savings before I spend much more on gear.

Fair enough. I don't judge "value" minded consumers as I am one of them.

The next step would be to ask the LDS if they service all brands of regulators. Some do and some don't.

My LDS doesn't carry everything, but I have yet to want to purchase any brand of any item that they could not order for me. I guess direct purchase from some suppliers is also an option. One really can't "cheat" on an a dive shop. It is tacky to buy what they sell from a local competitor, though.
DivemasterDennis

I do think it's great to have a relationship with a business. If I've done a lot of business with a small store (and I'm thinking tack shops as well as dive shops here) they might go out of their way to do something for me. What I don't get is the guilt-tripping, or the sense of obligation we feel as divers that we HAVE to patronize our local shop, no matter what it is that we want.

I have gone to local shops with online prices and asked them what they could do for me. Sometimes they've come close, and I've bought from them. Sometimes they can't, and I buy somewhere else. Sometimes they're pleasant about it, and sometimes they most definitely are NOT. The shops that aren't don't get asked again. I'm the customer -- I'm the one with money to spend, and I think I ought to be treated pleasantly as long as I am being pleasant myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom