Looking for Divemaster for St Andrews Jetties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtmurph7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

My husband and I along with another couple will be staying in Destin from Sept 1st-7th We have a boat dive set up for Sept 5th. We would also like to dive the Jetties at St Andrews. We are all new divers with less than 10 dives so we would like to find a more experienced diver that would be interested in diving with us. If you are interested or know anyone who is or know where I can find someone please contact me. Our dates are pretty much open except for Sept 5th.

Thanks,

Tides 1 Sep.jpgMy wife and I dive St Andrews State Park Jetties pretty regularly and would be in the area during that time period (we live about an hour away). Our schedule is pretty open that week, and would be available to assist if needed. The park opens at 8 am and diving close to the time of the mean high tide is preferred for the best visibility and current (flow of water into or out of the bay).

A dive flag is required at the state park, and no spearfishing is allowed.

Tide Prediction courtesy of www.saltwatertides.com:
Tides for St. Andrew Bay Channel entrance starting with September 1, 2013.

I should be available the 3rd, 4th, and possibly 5th for the AM high tide. If I am available, chances are I will be there regardless, and would be more than happy to accompany your group.

Scubamiller...Looking at the tide chart which day the 3rd or 4th would be the best to dive and what time? We are open either day and would like to dive with you and your wife. I don't have a flag but I am sure that we can get one at a dive shop in Destin. We will go ahead and rent our tanks the day before at a shop in Destin so we will already have them.

Pocky21 We are open for the 3rd or the 4th which everday and time would be best to dive.. This will be my friends first time diving some place other than a Tennessee Quarry. It is going to be a new experience for them.

Thanks

For the 3rd, the best time would be to be there right at 8am; get in two good dives before the water gets flowing back out to the gulf from the rivers.

I have a flag, and would be bringing it regardless, so there is no real need to worry about that (the post above was more for if you decided to go it alone).

The jetties is a great place to do your "first" saltwater dives because there is a shallow protected area before crossing the rocks where you can do buoyancy checks, etc...for that matter, you could do your entire dive in the "kiddie pool" and see lots of marine life, and have plenty of fun. There is plenty of things to see either way you decide to dive it.

I will PM my cell number so we can link up when you get to Destin to make final coordination.
-Michael

Fyi...they yanked a 7' hammerhead out of the kiddie pool yesterday. It was on YouTube and the local news. Then the national news too. Our water has been very murky and tinted from the rains, our viz has been really bad. All the pines making the water a dark tea color. Yesterday even the beach infront of schooners was brown not emerald.

Yes, the ocean is the natural habitat of all sorts of sharks--they are always there, whether you see them or not. The idiot(s) that yanked the hammerhead out of the water by the tail is being sought after by both the Florida FWC and the State Park Rangers for their illegal behavior. The bystanders that allowed it to happen and even cheered it on are just as guilty in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom