Newly minted OW Diver - Florida Panhandle Trip Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty sure that was where I did my first ever cave dive in the latter part of the seventies. We had to drive down a long dirt trail thru the woods that was barely wide enough for us but had to pull off so an ambulance could pass us going the other way. The water was clear and cold, typical Florida spring water. The cave/tunnel had an area where a boulder had dropped out of the ceiling so you had to climb over it. On top was an air pocket in the old boulder hole.

It had assorted side rooms but only one main tunnel. At the end, was a traffic Stop sign to stop people from going on into the Florida Aquifer. (No return ever!!) The current in front of the opening was like being inside a garden hose running full pressure. There were a bunch of little blind eels all over the place. Does all of that sound like Vortex Springs?

The ambulance that was leaving, was carrying the bodies of three dead divers. The guy running the place was putting his own dive gear away when we arrived and asked to bring out the rest of their gear. (We were the only ones there besides him) One of the three divers died from being stabbed to death, the second one drowned with a half tank of air and the third strangled on the ski rope that they were using as guide line. (As if you could get lost there!) They did an article in Skin Diver Magazine about them a few months later. We brought out the rest of their gear.

Back
Top Bottom