Trip Report Post Trip Review Tulum Playa Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whih rental company u recommend?
I used Mex. We got a small, manual transmission hatchback for pretty cheap. It wasn’t the nicest but it was inexpensive and did everything we needed it to do.

I’ve never used any of the other companies there so I can’t really say one is better than the other but we were happy with Mex.

A little tip for anyone renting a car in the Cancun-Tulum area: carry about $40 cash in your wallet and hide the rest of your cash somewhere else.

I rented a car in Cancun when I was cave diving in Tulum. When I was driving back to the Cancun airport to fly home, a policeman passed me in the fast lane on the 4-lane highway. As he passed me, I glanced over at him and I saw that he was looking at me. I was on cruise control at 5 km/h below the speed limit.

"GRINGO!" he must have thought to himself.

Immediately the cop slowed down, pulled behind me, and turned on his lights. I pulled over.

The cop said that I was speeding, and he said that I had to pay him a $150 cash fine. I had $40 in cash in my wallet and a few hundred dollars stuffed into my sock. I told that cop that I didn't have $100. He got very angry, pushed me up against his car, went through all my pockets, took my wallet, and removed all the cash.

"IS THIS ALL YOU HAVE??" he angrily screamed.

"Yes, I am heading back to the airport to fly home. I spent all my money."

He took the $40 and told me to "Get the hell out of here."

According to a U.S. State Department travel warning about Mexico -- "where police corruption is legendary, and true." The police are just as corrupt in the USA, just in different ways.

I love Mexico, going back to Scuba Club soon for the 15th time. I would have retired in Tulum, but I got married and those plans went to heck.

I used Mex. We got a small, manual transmission hatchback for pretty cheap. It wasn’t the nicest but it was inexpensive and did everything we needed it to do.

I’ve never used any of the other companies there so I can’t really say one is better than the other but we were happy with Mex.
i try it....but for credit card: The Credit Card must be personalized and have 1 year of using it, a credit card that was issued not more than 1 year ago will not be useful for a rental.

mine is not issued one year :wink:

We have rented vehicle many times and only once did we get pulled over for speeding. We were driving the same speed as other traffic. Would guess we looked like tourists. Two officers, didn’t get out of our rental, gave him my drives Licence, he wrote my name in his little book and told be the fine was 200 US dollars. Told him to give me a ticket and I would go to the police station and pay it. Also said “I thought you couldn’t give speeding tickets to tourists in Quintana Roo. He went and talked with his buddy and then tried one more time. Then he gave me back my Licence. . All respectful discussions. No threatening attitude.

I print off the few copies of the Driving In Quintana Roo document just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom