Fiji or Tahiti? Moorea or Bora Bora?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're planning a big anniversary trip and those are a few of our options. We've done many of the Caribbean islands but have always wanted the South Pacific. I'm looking for great diving, my wife snorkels only (so we're not looking at liveaboards). Top sides we like good restaurants, reasonably nice accommodations (no hostels, thank you, but we don't need the Four Seasons either), and maybe a town or locality big enough to keep us busy one or two afternoons wandering around (nightlife isn't much concern, since we're usually in bed by 9 anyway). Can anyone comment on the above choices, or even add a new one? Thanks for sharing your experience.

If you are looking for really great diving, go to Rangiroa or Fakarava.

I did a two week trip on a cruise ship whose itinerary included Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Rarotonga, and Rangiroa, along with several other islands whose names at the moment escape me. I was really disappointed with the quality of the diving through most of the trip. Shark feeding dives are the staple -- we saw a LOT of dead coral, a lot of algae-covered reef, and not many fish.

On the other hand, Rangiroa was utterly magical. The outer reef was the healthiest, most colorful and vibrant reef I have dived ANYWHERE (including Indonesia). The pelagics were amazing -- enormous schools of predator fish and many sharks. We saw mantas and dove with dolphins. The only thing about Rangiroa that wasn't utterly perfect was that we drifted Tiputa Pass and saw no sharks at all -- but the drift itself was great fun.

Be prepared for very, very expensive lodging in French Polynesia. And Rangiroa itself is a tiny place, with no "town" to speak of, and only a couple of hotels. The only place that really had a city was Tahiti, and Papeete did not strike me as a place I would want to spend a great deal of time. I do have to admit the scenery in the entire region is stunning, though.

My $.02, I'd skip anything French out there, although Bora Bora might still be ok. If you go to Fiji, you'll be at a resort and pretty much nothing else. Right now, I'd shoot for Vanuatu while the President Coolidge is still in reasonable condition or Lord Howe Island.
I don't do cruise ships so I can't comment on going on one of them unless it was an option to multiple un-anesthetized root canals.

Bora Bora diving - along with Moorea diving - is really very average. Rangiroa is where its at if you want to really experience something different diving. Tahiti has a couple of pretty good spots and Fakarava gets rave reviews. Rangi you can get accomodation at one of the pensions - Tiena and Marie is my favourite - for $60pp/pn including breakfast and dinner. You will pay a small fortune for accomodation, meals, taxis and everything else on Bora Bora so I guess its are you looking for the best diving, or all round holiday spot. It is an absolutely stunning island as is Tahiti if you do a tour around the island. Unlike TSandM I had shark overload every time i dived tiputa. However Rangi other than diving and snorkeling does not have a lot to offer topside.
I have heard nothing but good things about Fiji so maybe thats worth a look as it will certainly be a lot cheaper than FP

Fiji is fantastic diving and a great value if you know where and how to go. However, to get the best diving you won't be anyplace where you can frequent multiple restaurants or easily "go into town".

Most of the best diving is on one of the smaller islands at an AI resort. Some have excellent snorkeling as well and there are things to do other than dive, like hiking, kayaking, visiting a Fijian village, and such.

I represent Naigani Island resort and it fits this description and is a great value. The Snorkeling is fantastic, as is the diving. Many really great dive sites within 15 minutes of the resort. Some signature dives about an hour from the resort but worth the ride with hammerheads and rays and turtles. A house reef for shore diving that for a while now has had some black tip sharks and eagle rays hanging around. You will seldom if ever see another boat or other divers at the dives sites we frequent right at the head of the Bligh Waters.

We have excursions once a week to Lavuka, the old capital of Fiji. There you can do a tour (walk around free tour) shopping, choose from several small restuarants and there is a very small but interesting museum as well.

There is a small village that welcomes us once a week to tour their village and have a kava ceremony and dancing for entertainment.

Once a week there is an excursion to Dolphin bay as well, where there are two resident pods of dolphins and a dolphin sighting or two is nearly guaranteed.

The bures are spacious and clean, but not five star....more along the lines of 3 star and the food is very very good and plentiful. There is also a pool with a swim up bar and snacks as well as a once a week BBQ that normally features several fish dishes, chicken, and Lobster among other entrees. Other than the BBQ and the breakfast, the meals are made to order and not buffet style. In the evenings it is nice to hang out at the Riley's the restaurant bar and listen to some of the boys play music and sing (Kava available as well).

Naigani was originally a Copra plantation and so all of the pathways are line with coconut trees. Rileys was originally the owners house.

Oh, there is also a small three hole golf course LOL.

My wife doesnt dive OR snorkel, but she is never bored and we stay several weeks at a time when we go to Fiji.

If I can be of any further help just shoot me a PM here or you can contact me at naiganiusa@gmai.com

If you are interested in diving forget Bora Bora and Moorea. Fakarava and Rangiroa have world class diving but other than spectacular scenery nothing topside. Fiji can be both fantastic diving and some very disapointing diving as well. The Fijians are experiencing a BFF relationship with the Chinese, where the Chinese are allowed to bring in their fish factories in exchange for building mega hotels and golf courses. Consequently there are a lot of fishless bommies and dead reefs. For diving Fiji doesn't compare to Fakarava or Rangiroa.

For an anniversary trip, consider the Paul Gauguin small cruise ship. A romantic way to travel and will give you variety of destinations that are not accessible to larger ships. Perhaps a nice balance of spending an amazing anniversary together and doing some diving at the best spots. They have many different itineraries including Rangiroa and Fakarava or the Society Islands (like Moorea and Bora Bora) and the Cook Islands, or Australia and Fiji. It is a small cruise ship which is all-inclusive, except for excursions. Some of the diving is done directly with their own watersports staff (there is an on board marina). Right now they have a promo of free airfare from LAX. Luxury Small Ship Cruises to Tahiti, the South Pacific & Southeast Asia | Paul Gauguin Cruises

We stayed in Tahiti, Bora Bora and Rangiroa. There is diving available at all 3 but as said Ranigroa is a 10 and the others are 3-5s at best. Tahiti is very developed and we didn't spend anymore time there than we had too. Bora Bora is well... it's Bora Bora, it's simply spectacular every moment you are there. We stayed at the Intercontinental Thalaso in over water bungalow and what can you say? If you want a dream anniversary that would be it. In Rangiroa we stayed at the Kia Ora again in an overwater bungalow for half the stay and one of their private walled villas with a private plunge pool, for the other half, can't complain about a single thing, it's French Polynesia!

You said you want great diving - that's at Rangiroa and Fakarava.

If you want knock your socks off, jaw dropping beauty and romantic location it's Bora Bora.

Back
Top Bottom