Looking for some recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaBob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A group of us (9 in total) are flying into Phuket at the end of October until about the 19th of November. Some of us are OW divers interested in taking an advanced course; some are non-divers interested in taking an OW course. A few of us are not divers and are just interested in a nice vacation. We're also looking for recommendations for places to stay. We're not particularly interested in the resort experience, but may consider it for part of the time. Would it make sense to stay at a resort that offers the training that we're looking for? Are there any deals to be had if accommodations and diving are booked together?

So far, the only thing that has been booked are flights in/out of Phuket. We're looking for recommendations on where to go for good diving/training and a relaxing vacation. Not really interested in wild night life or raucous partying, although some decent restaurants would be nice.

It looks like there are plenty of areas with mixed reviews. We have considered staying around Phuket, or going over to Phi Phi. Now that I've been browsing the Thailand forum, it looks like there are plenty of other places to consider. The possibilities seem endless.

Anyone with experience in the area, please help?

Where are your MUST SEE sites?
Where are your MUST AVOID areas?

Also, we're looking for recommendations for a decent dive operator/training centre.

Given that we will be there for almost three weeks, we should have the luxury of moving around a bit if if makes sense.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Phuket has lots of choice in accommodation, plenty of things to do for the non-divers, and the advanced students and open water students have sites at their disposal that suit their needs.

While in Southern Thailand I would try and have a look at other places as well. So yes, get certified and/or do the advanced course, and after that have a look at different areas, you could go further north and have a look at the Similans and divesites in that area like Richelieu Rock, can be done on daytrips, or go further south, check out Phi Phi, Ao Nang, Lanta or the Trang area islands. From all these sites the divers can enjoy themselves in the water while the non-divers pursue other interests.

Have you considered Khao Lak? It's a great area north of Phuket and good for non-divers too with wonderful beaches and the beautiful Khao Sok National Park nearby. I've stayed on Bang Niang Beach in Khao Lak and went on diving day trips out to the Similan Islands - doesn't really matter where you stay (dive resort or not) as the dive company will most probably pick you up for free. Very good restaurants and bars there too but not 'wild night life'. You also have the option of taking a Liveaboard to the Similans for a few nights as they depart from nearby Tap Lamu.

Whatever you decide I hope you and your friends have a great holiday.

Phuket is central to most of Thailands best dive sites. Once everybody is certified, like Steven, I also highly recommend going on a Liveaboard cruise to The Similan and Surin islands.

The Kata area might suit you as there are local dive sites within minutes from the beach and it is closley located to Chalong where the daytrip boats depart. Also this area brags of some of the best restaurants on Phuket and there are plenty of inexpensive guesthouses and bungalow style establishments. Kata is also located about 15 minutes drive from the more hectic area of Patong.

Moving around a bit would definitely make sense if you have 3 weeks. I would agree with the above - Kata would be a good choice to stay for your group, meeting your demands there would be fairly straight forward. Phi Phi, the diving is cheap and convenient but there is more of a younger backpacker crowd in the main village. There are some overnight liveaboards that take in a lot of the good diving in the Phuket area and give you a night on Phi Phi, a nice little trip after everybody has their courses out of the way. Then go up to Khao Lak, it's a laid back resort area with access to the Similan and Surin islands. It sounds like Patong is the place to avoid for your party.

Contact Quero, she is here on SB, you can PM her. She is a good instructor I have used, lives in Phuket, can also give you tips about places to stay, etc.

Thanks 1thumper, for the kind words.

Here's what came to my mind when reading the opening post: "These people are perfect candidates for a villa rental." You can avoid the resort experience that way, your villas (you may need more than one depending on the number of bedrooms we can get) come with a cook, so you get to choose your own menus and even entertain if you wish. You can rent a car or hire a car/driver combo (usually this is easily arranged through the villa owner), you can make your own schedule for diving, training, etc. I don't know much about villa rentals on Phi Phi or neighbouring islands, but if this is of some interest to you, I do have a few contacts I can check with in regard to availability here on Phuket.

It turns out we will have 10 people altogether. 6 are OWD interested in an advanced course, three of the others are interested in taking an OW course. We 4 couples, and two singles. We're OK with three people in a couple of rooms, so ideally, we could get away with 4 rooms, as long as at least two of them can accommodate three people.

I'm still looking for advice from any and everyone, so I thought I'd post here one more time.

------- Directly for Quero -----
Hi Quero,

From snooping around in the Thailand forum, you seem to be one of the better informed members, so regardless of whether you replied to this post, I was going to hit you up anyway. :) I think it probably makes sense for us to take our conversation off-line -- do you prefer email, or PM here -- I'm good with either..

Last edited:
Hey Bob. I'd be more than happy to give you specifics privately, but I also think it's good for you to gather as many perspectives as you can so that you get a better idea of what might suit you and your group. Also other people may have the same sorts of questions you do, and the information you receive here publicly can help them in their own decisions.

With three weeks to play with, you can do quite a lot. I'd start right out with the training, if I were you, and get those three needing the OW course sorted out so that you can then do a bit of diving at the other places you go. With brand-new divers, there are plenty of nice, easy dive sites in the Similans, near Phuket, and at Koh Haa near Koh Lanta, so you could conceivably hop around to those three places and have enough time to do a combination of water sports and some land touring, and some lazing around on beaches.

You could also charter a catamaran for your group and do island hopping to all sorts of different places, doing a bit of diving, a bit of kayaking, a bit of rock climbing, whatever. With a group of ten, you've really got a lot of options that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom