New: GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The last years Hero 3 have been discounted to 329.00 in most places. It might be a good time for folks who've been thinking about getting a GoPro to "dive in." It's a great way to do all kinds of action video, and it does a great job for Scuba!
Correct! Check Hot Deals right here on Scubaboard! The Hero 3 silver is even less.

If you are interested in the Silver model, now is the time to grab it. New silver version doesn't offer Protune.

Do you think these updates challenge the realm of a Panasonic LX7 or Sony RX100? Exception being the minimum aperture.

Do you think these updates challenge the realm of a Panasonic LX7 or Sony RX100? Exception being the minimum aperture.
Absolutely not... unless you add an LCD back pack to your kit, you're about to the same price point and still have an inferior product.

I've never been impressed with any stills shot by a GoPro, however, video stills have had some success.

absolutely do not take pictures, grab frames from your video, esp at higher frame rates
Not enough here for me to give up my hero 3 black. The new firmware made all the issues with the camera a non issue in my mind. Great little camera. and at the new price point, time to add a second one to my collection

Whoops, I forgot to say that I was thinking about video, rather than stills... minor detail, I know.

Yeah, too be honest the only thing that interests me is the stabilisation - if it works on the A9.

4k@30 ? I don't have a 4k telly nor the hard drive space to store the stuff!!!

I have a GoPro2 still - I think I will jump on the Hero3+ now.

There's talk about stabilization with the A9? I like that!

I would not get all exciting about this one boys and girls. Let's be honest... if this your first gopro purchase... it would be cheaper to get a $329 version of gopro hero 3 black + wasabi batteries for $19.99 than to spend $400 on a new + model. + model offers improvements, yes... but those are virtually undetectable. If anything newer model is not that friendly for diving.

You know that overheating issue? They "fixed it" by giving you a smaller housing... so heat went from having nowhere to go to having absolutely nowhere to go. Also say good bye to anti fog strips because from glancing at the photo you can barely fit a hair between the camera and housing, let alone a anti-fog strip.

Yes yes camera offers a wider angle and some tweaks here and there but it is like buying iphone 5 in August and have iphone 5s come out 4 weeks later. Should you upgrade? Meh.

If you really really want a gopro... get yourself a hero3 black at discounted price and next year... when they actually upgrade the camera.. it would make sense to upgrade. To me upgrades are superficial and all of the fixes and offers are not much worth it.

Take the clamp mount. You can make one for about $3.99 by taking a clamp and a tripod mount you probably already have and voila... saved yourself $50
Junior chesty mount? I have a superskinny tiny baby sister and she was wearing mine while doing front flips and backflips with no adjustment to adult size chest mount. Save your money on that one.
Head clip... put a mug on your ball cap visor and walk around... see how fast your neck gets tired.
Tripod mount... now this one I actually see being of value with quick release mechanism.

Best value for your money right now:

Discounted Hero 3 lineup + wasabi batteries.

Interesting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom