Dry Suit P-Valve Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v101

Contributor
Reaction score
I picked up a DUI drysuit and got a chance to finally dive it, and must say it was great. Stayed warm and dry for the first 2 dives.. Then after the 3rd dive. we got out of the water, and I noticed my legs were a bit wet, not pour the water out of the legs wet, but just wet enough to notice. the DUI I own has Halcyon P-Valve installed, and all the dives I dove w/ out it being "hooked-up", it's supposed to be the kind that wont allow water into the valve, however it can be twisted close to make sure no water gets past.

After the dive, I noticed that the valve wasn't entirely closed, could this be the reason that I got wet, and it leaked water into via the hose? I checked the suit out and it's good, no small tears, or rips. And when I tested it out by adding air to it with it on, no air was escaping out.

If anyone else can comment about the valve and proper methods for when not using your p-valve I would appreciate it.

I've never used a P-valve before, but wish I had one sometimes. Were you wearing an undergarment? Was the undergarment wet also? Was it more wet in the area of the p-valve?

I ask these, because I have come out of my dry suit before, and my legs have been wet, but it was sweat, not water leaking in. It could just be sweat you're feeling. If it was the p-valve, I think it would be more concentrated in the p-valve area, as if you had an accident. Next dive, you could tape a diaper to the inside of the suit over the p-valve area, and then when you come out, you can tell if your legs are wet from sweat, or if the diaper is heavy from leakage.

Should i be overly sarcastic and tell you that your suit leaked because its a DUI?

seriously though it was probably just condensation.

It shouldn't leak being opened or closed. Is the valve tight? There is a special wrench that comes with the valve. Remove the ste screw from the outside part of the valve. Unscrew the outside part. It should come completely off. There is a little slot just below the threads on the male part sticking out of the suit. I would take it completely apart at this point and make sure it is clean the reassymble the unit. Don't worry you will get use to the wet leg. Just wait till you go to use the valve and all of a sudden your leg gets warm from the catheter leaking.:D

Depends on how wet. Is the p-valve balanced or unbalanced. If it's balanced, it's not a question of if it will leak, but rather when it will leak. I promise, it will leak sooner or later. The other comment about it being a DUI is valid. Those things are notorius for leaking.

I'm not familiar with the halcyon pvalve, but I'd guess it was the culprit. If it was just condensation, it'd probably not be confined to just your legs.

I have a Halycon P-valve on my DUI suit and leave it fully open regardless of whether I am "plugged in" or not. I have never had an issue of the P-valve leaking water into my drysuit during a dive.

On warmer days when I remain in my drysuit during surface intervals I will have dampness from condensation and sweat on my undergarments.

---------- Post added October 29th, 2013 at 10:30 AM ----------

I forgot to mention on my earlier post that have a balanced P-valve and have no experience with an unbalanced P-valve. This is my third year diving with my Halycon P-valve without any water leaking into my suit from the P-valve.

The balanced Halcyon P-valve should not leak - open or closed. There are a few things that can make that happen though:

- the duckbill valve that "balances" the valve can deform over time - especially if it is left to soak. I.e. if you close the valve with fluid still in it. That deformation can make the duckbill lips of the valve separate.

- from vague recollection: the duckbill valve is installed behind a screw-in plug. If you tighten that plug down too much, that too can cause deformation of the valve with leaking to follow.

I picked up a DUI drysuit and got a chance to finally dive it, and must say it was great. Stayed warm and dry for the first 2 dives.. Then after the 3rd dive. we got out of the water, and I noticed my legs were a bit wet, not pour the water out of the legs wet, but just wet enough to notice. the DUI I own has Halcyon P-Valve installed, and all the dives I dove w/ out it being "hooked-up", it's supposed to be the kind that wont allow water into the valve, however it can be twisted close to make sure no water gets past.

It may leak through the hose or the pressure equalization valve if it hasn't been flushed well with water after each dive.

If you screw down the cap on the outside and it still leaks, it's probably leaking around the installation hole.

As far as the drysuit goes, I got such a deal on it, i couldn't see paying the $$ for a new one. the one I got had 3 dives on it, and had the options i wanted.. but will keep that in mind about DUI for the future..

the valve I am not sure if its balanced or un-balanced.

As far as if it was sweat or water, it was water, my socks were soaked, and legs were soaked as well. the culprit appears to be from the hose on the valve that was leaking water.

After cleaning it out, I could open the valve and "suck" air through the valve. via the hose.... and also blow air through the valve..

I will take a few pics and post them here, and get some feedback on the type of valve....

will look into the work on taking it apart also. however I dont have a tool to open this up. is this something I need to get from the company or ?/

Every p-valve I have had has leaked if not closed and not connected. They shouldn't -- the mushroom valve is supposed to prevent backflow (the balance chamber is irrelevant if we are only talking leakage coming in from the outside of the suit). But none of mine seem to do it very effectively (LM or Halcyon valves). I've learned to make sure the cap is closed if I am not accessorized.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom