No valve drills (indy doubles)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have serious shoulder issues, dive sidemount. If the issues are *that* serious, perhaps diving with heavy cylinders may not be the best option for you.

If you lack flexibility, reach out to a physical therapist and improve it.

There is no need to complicate matters that have clear and safe solutions.

The OP seems to be suggestion using independent doubles as a large back mounted pony so what is the problem unless of course you are also anti pony. How can manifolded doubles be considered a truly redundant system when there is potential failure, although unlikely, of the isolation valve. There are plenty of ways to dive safe without drinking the KoolAid and suggesting you shouldn't dive if for some reason you can't do valve drills is frankly asinine.

For once I agree with the GUE fans above, just use a manifolded set; removing a manifold because you “can do valve drills but you think it’s stupid in an emergency” is the real stupidity.

But why?

I gain absolutely nothing.

If I put my isolator back in, now I have to do this awkward drill, that's a bit impractical in a real emergency.

And now my system is only 1.5 redundancy, where indy is truly redundant. So what, I add a pony to return to true redundancy? Once I add that isolator, it's more like one big tank on my back than truly redundant individual air sources.

All to gain back some air, that I don't need.

Just sounds like institutional inertia.

The way I'm looking at it, is much like a giant pony:

In an advanced deep, but not tec dive, I don't have to do a darn thing, if a reg fails.

No valves, no troubleshooting bubbles, none of that. Switch to the working reg, thumb the dive.

But why?

I gain absolutely nothing.

If I put my isolator back in, now I have to do this awkward drill, that's a bit impractical in a real emergency.

And now my system is only 1.5 redundancy, where indy is truly redundant. So what, I add a pony to return to true redundancy?

All to gain back some air, that I don't need.

Just sounds like institutional inertia.

All the pros and cons of manifold vs independent have been hashed out ad nauseum, I have nothing to add to the arguments or conclusions.

Nothing any of us say is going to change your mind nor are you likely to find vindication here.

I do not care one iota how you dive, by all means carry on. I prefer sidemount diving but when I put my doubles on they have a manifold with an isolaton valve even though I could feather valves on BM independents easier than most.

In an advanced deep, but not tec dive, I don't have to do a darn thing, if a reg fails.

Because starting with the end in mind is a good idea. We all say we’re never going tech but then later give in to the dark side. Why unlearn something later ?

Because starting with the end in mind is a good idea. We all say we’re never going tech but then later give in to the dark side. Why unlearn something later ?

That's an excellent point.

When I get to tec, it'll be on a rebreather. Fantom or Choptima.

Want to get caught up to the requisites for Advanced Nitrox and Deco soon. Will determine if I stop there or continue, then.

Fantom guys sling the bailout tanks. The Choptima guys seem to be single tank, or Indy doubles (different mix in each tank).

Want to get caught up to the requisites for Advanced Nitrox and Deco soon. Will determine if I stop there or continue, then.

Fantom guys sling the bailout tanks. The Choptima guys seem to be single tank, or Indy doubles (different mix in each tank).

I know a few Choptima divers who SM their BO.

I am a chop guy, I don’t run singles, I don’t run independent doubles, nor do I run different mixes in my SM tanks. I know there are divers that run different mixes and I have played with it myself but it’s not for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing the manifold doubles too. And gonna give it a fair chance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom