Preparing for fundamentals / intro to tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can't reach the valves in backmount, sidemount seems like an obvious consideration to make
Obviously not applicable to Fundies as backward knob twiddling is such a core part of "DIR" diving. Thankfully, Intro To Tech doesn’t have those biases.

If you can't reach the valves in backmount, sidemount seems like an obvious consideration to make
But first, do we know his rig is properly fitted? I took ITT to see if I could dive doubles with both of my shoulders having been surgically repaired, and compromised range of motion. With the above mentioned coaching, stretching, and practice, I was successful.

Just going SM isn't necessarily the answer....

Most people can expand the range of their reach quite a bit with practice and technique. But if you can’t after that, well you have to be able to reach your valves for any tech or overhead diving. So inverted backmount or sidemount or some other approach would need to be found if you want to do that kind of diving.

I h
Before Fundies even existed there was just T1 and C1 and student after student couldn't do any of the required skills. So DIRF was created as a workshop and at that time was functionally an audition - for T1 or C1. That was a brief time of rapid development in technical instruction and it turned into a class after just a couple years. That was OVER 20 YEARS AGO. That's right GUE-F has been a taught class *not an audition* since the late 1990s.

I'm glad you found it valuable :)
[/QUOTE]

I’m in between Fundamentals Part 1 and 2 right now and have to say, I see how much work you’d have to do to absorb all the knowledge and achieve proficiency in skills in four straight days. Unless you come in very experienced. It’s my first exposure to doubles so stability and buoyancy there is my biggest hurdle. I could use more then the couple of weeks in between to practice!

I h

Before Fundies even existed there was just T1 and C1 and student after student couldn't do any of the required skills. So DIRF was created as a workshop and at that time was functionally an audition - for T1 or C1. That was a brief time of rapid development in technical instruction and it turned into a class after just a couple years. That was OVER 20 YEARS AGO. That's right GUE-F has been a taught class *not an audition* since the late 1990s.

I'm glad you found it valuable :)

I’m in between Fundamentals Part 1 and 2 right now and have to say, I see how much work you’d have to do to absorb all the knowledge and achieve proficiency in skills in four straight days. Unless you come in very experienced. It’s my first exposure to doubles so stability and buoyancy there is my biggest hurdle. I could use more then the couple of weeks in between to practice!
[/QUOTE]
In the class I took we had me and two fairly inexperienced divers. I think we did 5 days but everyone got the practical skills ok at the rec level. One of the students had more trouble on the classroom stuff and had to work with the instructor after the class. Pass at a tech level is hard and it is also harder to get a rec pass if you have a lot of ingrained bad habits to fight.

In the class I took we had me and two fairly inexperienced divers. I think we did 5 days but everyone got the practical skills ok at the rec level. One of the students had more trouble on the classroom stuff and had to work with the instructor after the class. Pass at a tech level is hard and it is also harder to get a rec pass if you have a lot of ingrained bad habits to fight.
[/QUOTE]

I have heard GUE may be doing away with the Rec level of Fundies. There will be only one level in full tech configuration. There will be a new course in Rec configuration for certified divers to get into the GUE system. It sounds like a good idea because Fundies can be a bit intimidating for a newer diver. I know it was for me.

In my experience with GUE-F, my statements are factual.
GUE-F is an audition, not a training course.
There is no teaching new skills, only ridiculing students for skills they haven't already mastered.

Like back kicking into a stiff current while doing OOA drills, and diving with doubles. If you haven't already mastered these skills before GUE-F, then prepare to be ridiculed by the GUE instructors.

Met and dived with plenty of GUE instructors. Haven't met a single one who would ridicule a student for struggling with a skill, and no one should feel insulted that they weren't given a "go" for not meeting a standard.

Met and dived with plenty of GUE instructors. Haven't met a single one who would ridicule a student for struggling with a skill, and no one should feel insulted that they weren't given a "go" for not meeting a standard.
Irrelevant
This really happened

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom