Preparations for Scapa Flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andromedakun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone,

I would like, in the coming years, to go and dive Scapa flow and see the ships of the great war.
From the information I have, it looks like just being a recreational diver will not be enough to really enjoy it.
Most ships appear to be between 20 and 40 meters deep so time might be very short at the bottom without Deco.

I have about 50 dives now and am "advanced" under PADI. My buoyancy is good but not perfect. I can do a frog kick and helicopter turn but not yet a backwards kick.
So, the question then becomes... How do I prepare myself the best for these dives?

At the moment, my plan involves something like this:
- Finish my Dry Suit training;
- Tackle the Deep diver & Wreck diver courses (probably on holidays in France in May).
- Do the Rescue course
- Possibly finish the year with Intro to Tech (learn to dive doubles) or Sidemount course.
- Beginning of 2025 do dives on doubles or Sidemount depending on route.
- Mid 2025 do Advanced Nitrox / Deco Procedures courses
- Finish 2025 getting used to doing those procedures by diving and possibly follow the Advanced Wreck course
- Somewhere in 2026 go to Scapa Flow.

As I have no experience doing Wreck diving, does this plan seem reasonable?

What are your thoughts on doubles vs sidemount?

Anything in the plan you would change?

Thanks in advance

What I do is share my ScubaBoard learning time with familiarising myself with the stuff people are doing

Including this quite accomplished ScubaBoard member

Oh yeah, and in that big list of yours up there I must have missed any reference to going diving, lots

Thanks for your reply.
Oh yeah, and in that big list of yours up there, I don't see any reference to going diving

There is a bit of it in 2025 and I had a first draft where I did say it more clearly but yes, my plan is to go dive almost every week-end of the year for at least 1 dive and preferably 2 or 3 depending on how warm it gets.

In 2023 I managed to do 47 OW dives between April and December and hope to do more then that in 2024.

I have to admit most of those dives were in a lake in Belgium (lac de l'Eau d'Heure) but I did manage to do some other dive sites as well as ending the year with a few dives in Egypt just to have some nice warm water.

Very nice, all diving is diving and breeds familiarisation and a particular understanding

Hi Everyone,

I would like, in the coming years, to go and dive Scapa flow and see the ships of the great war.
From the information I have, it looks like just being a recreational diver will not be enough to really enjoy it.
Most ships appear to be between 20 and 40 meters deep so time might be very short at the bottom without Deco.

I have about 50 dives now and am "advanced" under PADI. My buoyancy is good but not perfect. I can do a frog kick and helicopter turn but not yet a backwards kick.
So, the question then becomes... How do I prepare myself the best for these dives?

At the moment, my plan involves something like this:
- Finish my Dry Suit training;
- Tackle the Deep diver & Wreck diver courses (probably on holidays in France in May).
- Do the Rescue course
- Possibly finish the year with Intro to Tech (learn to dive doubles) or Sidemount course.
- Beginning of 2025 do dives on doubles or Sidemount depending on route.
- Mid 2025 do Advanced Nitrox / Deco Procedures courses
- Finish 2025 getting used to doing those procedures by diving and possibly follow the Advanced Wreck course
- Somewhere in 2026 go to Scapa Flow.

As I have no experience doing Wreck diving, does this plan seem reasonable?

What are your thoughts on doubles vs sidemount?

Anything in the plan you would change?

Thanks in advance
It's a good plan. I'd suggest taking ITT or tech sidemount before you follow through with the rest of your plan, if you can.

That way you have more time to practice and hone the skills that you'll learn that you'll need for tech diving.

I'd do it in this order: dry suit, ITT/sidemount, rescue, wreck, AN/DP, Adv. Wreck. You could throw deep in there too, but that's not really necessary for what you want to do, and AN/DP will get you down to 45M.

If you're going to do wreck, do it with your adv. wreck instructor, but I'd also suggest doing a technical cavern course (i.e. in doubles, and one that's comprehensive) as opposed to wreck.

For doubles vs. sidemount there are a bunch of threads here. If you can, learn both. The transition to doubles is probably easier on average and it's easier to deal with getting geared up and getting out of the water.

Sidemount has some advantages (streamlining, being able to see and feather valves, independent cylinders) and disadvantages (you're wider, you have to switch regs, getting into and out of gear). It really isn't an either/or situation.

If you can, you should make a decision based on the environment.

Which, @andromedakun , in Scapa with drygloves and likely a 7L of 50% or similar, is most definitely doubles and not sidemount. There is very limited penetration to be done and while the lifts make SM more pleasant, it's still a large faff compared to a set of twins. Add in some brisk weather and the desire to degear as quickly as possible, doubles > SM.

Signed,
Did it in sidemount. 2/10.

It's a good plan. I'd suggest taking ITT or tech sidemount before you follow through with the rest of your plan, if you can.

That way you have more time to practice and hone the skills that you'll learn that you'll need for tech diving.

I'd do it in this order: dry suit, ITT/sidemount, rescue, wreck, AN/DP, Adv. Wreck. You could throw deep in there too, but that's not really necessary for what you want to do, and AN/DP will get you down to 45M.

If you're going to do wreck, do it with your adv. wreck instructor, but I'd also suggest doing a technical cavern course (i.e. in doubles, and one that's comprehensive) as opposed to wreck.

For doubles vs. sidemount there are a bunch of threads here. If you can, learn both. The transition to doubles is probably easier on average and it's easier to deal with getting geared up and getting out of the water.

Sidemount has some advantages (streamlining, being able to see and feather valves, independent cylinders) and disadvantages (you're wider, you have to switch regs, getting into and out of gear). It really isn't an either/or situation.

Thanks VikingDives for taking the time to answer and give another perspective.

The reason I wanted to wait a bit between Drysuit and ITT / Sidemount course is because I've heard that drysuit diving takes some time getting used to and that changing diving equipment or configurations too fast can become a problem.

It seems like doubles is the way to go for now, so I'll plan accordingly for the rest of the year to start and possibly next year.

Which, @andromedakun , in Scapa with drygloves and likely a 7L of 50% or similar, is most definitely doubles and not sidemount. There is very limited penetration to be done and while the lifts make SM more pleasant, it's still a large faff compared to a set of twins. Add in some brisk weather and the desire to degear as quickly as possible, doubles > SM.

Signed,
Did it in sidemount. 2/10.

Understood, will start to learn on doubles and train my back muscles to cope with the weight.

Do you know if they rent double sets, what kind of or if I have to bring my tanks with me?

Understood, will start to learn on doubles and train my back muscles to cope with the weight.

Do you know if they rent double sets, what kind of or if I have to bring my tanks with me?
There are a few different operators. We brought a group to the Jean Elaine with captain Andy Cuthbert (this trip report will give you some good info: Scapa Flow dive notes July 2013 but is from someone else).
Andy was kind enough to coordinate with Scapa Scuba (about a five min walk from the boat) to ensure cylinders were as requested. Spectacular trip, though I will attempt an earlier season trip next time. While April / May is colder, the vis tends to be slightly better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom