Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know how much you care about the company you dive with, but Wicket diving are in Khao Lak and they are the best people I've ever dived with (and everyone I've ever met who's dived with them has said exactly the same thing.

Also, don't think It's been mentioned, but Boonsung Wreck is a quick daytrip out from Khao Lak, and is pretty incredible (if you choose here watch out for the strange pristine toilet sitting in the middle of the wreck :D).

The best thing about Phuket is choice. You have so many different choices when it comes to resorts, accommodation, prices, dive companies, nightlife, restaurants etc etc.. I like the quieter side of Phuket (Rawai) although if I need a good night out it is easy to get to Patong in a taxi or rent a car/bike. For me, that is why I prefer Phuket to other places mentioned here.
For a dive company I would highly recommend you contact stephenl

Don't know how much you care about the company you dive with, but Wicket diving are in Khao Lak and they are the best people I've ever dived with (and everyone I've ever met who's dived with them has said exactly the same thing.

Also, don't think It's been mentioned, but Boonsung Wreck is a quick daytrip out from Khao Lak, and is pretty incredible (if you choose here watch out for the strange pristine toilet sitting in the middle of the wreck :D).

I agree Wicked Diving is a great Company. Not long before my next liveaboard trip with them to the Similan Islands. Cant wait.

I will be in Phuket first week in December to dive. I'm SO excited! I will be there for 5 days. Will probably dive 3 and site see 2. My only concern is that I'm diving alone for the first time. How does that work if you don't have a buddy? And is it safe there? I need to stay in a hostel because I'm going to be traveling Asia for 6 weeks so I need to save money where I can!

I will be in Phuket first week in December to dive. I'm SO excited! I will be there for 5 days. Will probably dive 3 and site see 2. My only concern is that I'm diving alone for the first time. How does that work if you don't have a buddy? And is it safe there? I need to stay in a hostel because I'm going to be traveling Asia for 6 weeks so I need to save money where I can!
No worries at all, you'll be buddied up with somebody with more or less the same experience. And if there is no one available you'll dive with the divemaster as your buddy.

No need to be concerned. This is exactly what happened with me in Phuket, I went diving there alone for the first time. I was quite lucky as it was just me and the divemaster (early season) for the first 4 dives, then another diver joined us for the remaining 2 dives. It's a great way to meet new people.
Yes, the diving is safe in Phuket. The 2 boats I went on were very well maintained, the divemaster overlooked me rigging my gear up, went through the predive and buddy checks and made me feel extremely safe and was excellent underwater. My only concern with Phuket would be with the jetski scams and be careful on the roads if renting a bike/car. Obviously, with personal safety, you take the same precautions you take anywhere in the world but in 10 years of living and travelling in Thailand I have never had any serious problems. Enjoy your trip.

No worries at all, you'll be buddied up with somebody with more or less the same experience. And if there is no one available you'll dive with the divemaster as your buddy.

Thanks for that info! :)

---------- Post added November 12th, 2013 at 10:41 PM ----------

Thanks lovelaos, very excited. Now to figure out who to dive with, where to stay and what else to do while I'm there. lol

My only concern is that I'm diving alone for the first time. How does that work if you don't have a buddy? And is it safe there? I need to stay in a hostel because I'm going to be traveling Asia for 6 weeks so I need to save money where I can!

I always plan my diving vacation alone whether it is India Phil or Thailand. As far as I am concerned it's the dive shops headache to work out who will buddy me and whether it will work out profitably. You are going to a tourist hotspot where divers from all over the world converge at the shops, so not to worry too much on that and concentrate on how you will enjoy your vacation.
From what I gleaned being on this forum, it's American culture to buy your gear, find your own buddy, fill your own tanks, rinse your own bcd (err.... ok still I do that at the end of the day, but you may be excused for a total tourist experience) and maybe float your own boat. DIY in the US, DIO elsewhere.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

I always plan my diving vacation alone whether it is India Phil or Thailand. As far as I am concerned it's the dive shops headache to work out who will buddy me and whether it will work out profitably. You are going to a tourist hotspot where divers from all over the world converge at the shops, so not to worry too much on that and concentrate on how you will enjoy your vacation.
From what I gleaned being on this forum, it's American culture to buy your gear, find your own buddy, fill your own tanks, rinse your own bcd (err.... ok still I do that at the end of the day, but you may be excused for a total tourist experience) and maybe float your own boat. DIY in the US, DIO elsewhere.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
I would not say Americal culture, in all countries where there is 'non tourist diving' you will find the same: Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Germany, etc. etc. But in places like Thailand, where the diving is really tourist diving, yes, those are the operator's worries and tasks.

And of course the beach diving in Phuket offers some of the most interesting finds around. in the first two weeks of this season we have already found a giant seahorse "Hippocampus Kelloggi" - a deep water seahorse normally only seen when fishermen trawl at 60m - 90m. And on a couple of dives we have seen turtles.

Last season we identified 4 different spieces of seahorse, found Harlequin Shrimp, Ornate ghost pipefish, robust ghost pipe fish, the Mimic Octopus which is so rare it even made it into the local paper and many other wonderful things

Like Michael there are many wonderful places to dive in all these areas but sometimes it is not the dive site but how closley you look at what is often right under your nose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom