Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What's the diving like around Phuket? I'm pretty sure there's better places to go but I'll only have a week and getting from Perth to Phuket is cheap and easy so that will be where I end up. Also what are the best dive shops or should I just wing it when I get there?

Cheers

there are nice daytrip divesites like Shark Point area, Racha Islands and also the Bida Islands are not too far for a daytrip.

There are also daytrips possible to Similans, but that really is quite far for a daytrip and would not be my first recommendation.

As an alternative to Phuket, from Phuket airport you could easily head north to Khao Lak (about 60-75 minutes away by car if my memory serves me right).
Khao Lak is closer to the Similans than Phuket making it an attractive day out. The diving is better there than around Phuket as well.

I don't know if this still applies but when I was in Khao Lak a few years ago it was possible to stay overnight on one of the Similan Islands meaning that you did 2 dives (or possibly 3) on the way there, the boat dropped you off late afternoon and picked you up the following morning for 2 or 3 more dives and then back to Khao Lak. I'll be interested to know (just out of curiosity) if this still possible.

Other alternative would be Krabi, Ao Nang. It tends to be a bit calmer and more relaxing that Phuket and is my choice in Thailand. Others may disagree, but that's their issue. I think you will find the flights to be the same price as Phuket.

+1 for Ao Nang in Krabi. Some of the same dive sites offered from Phuket - King Cruiser Wreck/Shark Point/Koh Doc Mai or Anenome reef on the super three dive day also trips tp Maya/Phi Phi and the local island diving is good pottering around.
I prefer Ao Nang topside because less touts, tailors and ladyboys. Nothing against ladyboys.

In general, diving from Phuket is very good, but so is Ao Nang, Khao Lak, Koh Lanta, Koh Lipe and Phi Phi Islands. Some suggest one place, other would say another and the truth might be in between and everywhere. It really depends on who you ask.

I have had the pleasure to do some great diving at all destinations mentioned, but a few dive sites really do sticks out.

From Khao Lak: Richelieu Rock, Koh Bon and Elephant Head Rock (No diving from May 15th - October 15)
From Phuket: King Cruiser Wreck, Bida Nok, Shark Point and South Tip at Racha Noi.
From Krabi: Same as Phuket (except South Tip) and then add Koh See near Ao Nang.

Not everybody would agree, but this is my list. In general these dive sites offers you beautiful coral and great marine life, so bring a camera. Don't forget that some of these dive sites, are not for divers with entry level certification only. If you don't hold a certificate beyond entry level, you can get this in Phuket or another destination with 2 days of training.

When it comes to the best dive shop I'm a bit biased, as I have a dive center in Phuket and Khao Lak, but search around this forum and you'll find some advices on this as well.

Have a great holiday

Ahhh... Sitting in a pub in Ao Nang... Sipping a beer and chatting about the dives tomorrow. :) nice breeze off the ocean, food worth living for, and friends made for a lifetime... Later...

As mentioned, Krabi and Phuket offers about the same dive trips, the only difference is non-diving related. Uless you want to drive another 2-3+ hours to get to Krabi, you can dive for a week from Phuket and never hit the same dive site twice. I won't swear it but I do believe you have a much wider choice in Phuket dive boats too. My top 2 personal favorites are the Mermaid, which has the BEST food. And the Jolly Rogers, which has an AC interior.

For places to stay, You can pretty much stay anywhere from Bangtao and south and get free pickup and drop-offs. If you want to have a wild après-dive then Patong is the place to go. can't get much crazier than there. For a more relaxed time then a little north of there such as Kamala (where I live) and Surin/Bangtao area. In Kamala there are some 1/2 day - 2 tank dive trips you can take from there.

Let me know if you need a dive buddy! I'm always available!

As mentioned, Krabi and Phuket offers about the same dive trips, the only difference is non-diving related.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only dive sites these two destinations shares is: Phi Phi islands, Shark Point, King Cruiser Wreck, Anemone Reef and to some extend Koh Haa Yai.

From Phuket you can also go diving at;
Koh Doc Mai, Racha Yai, Racha Noi, all local dive sites from Ao Sen to Nai Yang and scheduled day trips to Similan islands and Koh Bon.

From Ao Nang you can also go diving at;
The local islands some 30 - 45 minutes away from shore (several smaller islands) and a couple of new wrecks. I'm not sure, if DC in Ao Nang still have speedboats to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang. Finally there is some cave diving some 15 km away from Ao Nang.

A pretty big difference if I may add!

Back
Top Bottom