deciding which wet suit to take

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Winterpeg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i have a 3/2 mm suit that i have worn for diving in cozumel and jamaica. It was often not quite warm enough in Coz, esp the sleeves, my arms were sometimes cold. I added a hood and that helped a lot. Water temps varied by dive site and currents, 75-81 on my computer.
Last year I bought a 5 mm for hawaii, i was quite comfortable in that. Water temps around 79 on my computer and pretty consistent.
Just looked on a bonaire dive op site, it says most people wear a 3 mm shorty or a 3 mm full; 'thin-blooded' people might need a 5 mm.
I did a Discover scuba dive on Aruba in 2006 (that's what got me started on diving) in just my bathing suit, i remember the water being warm, but of course it was just offshore and not deep.
Is it overkill to bring my 5 mm suit?

I have a full 4/3 that I find perfect (for me) in Bonaire. I don't like being cold either. Personally, I know I'd be happier in a 5 mm than I would be in a 3/2. I say go for it if you don't mind a little more hassle getting into it, a bit more lead, etc.

yeah, that's the thing. i'd really rather take the 3/2, easier to don and doff etc. but i'm afraid i'm gonna kick myself if i get there and wish i had the warmer suit. i have done over 50 dives in coz in the 3/2 and managed ok even tho it was chilly on a few of them.

I've never used one but won't a full Lycra jumpsuit make using the 5mm wetsuit close to as easy as a 3mm to make it worth taking? Best of both worlds? Easy to don doff and much warmer.

Take both. That way you will always have a dry suit to put on. I usually take a 3 and a 5 to bonaire in winter. I wear the three in the morning for 2 tanks, the 5 in the afternoon and then the 3 again for the night dive by which time it's dry or near dry again. If you are doing 3-5 dives per day in bonaire, I figure better too much neoprene than not enough. You don't want to be cold and uncomfortable.
A 5 isn't too hard to get on if you wear a skin or use the plastic bag trick.

Our water temperatures in St Thomas are the same. I am wearing a full 3mm with 3/5mm hooded vest (hood is 5mm). I am warm now but will switch to 5mm soon. The sun is lower in the sky so take a sweatshirt or jacket to wear on the boat post-dive and maybe a hat.

I dove the Vandenberg in May wearing a 1mm full suit and 5mm shorty with long sleeves. I also had my hat and a fleece jacket for after the dives. Everyone else was in a shorty or reef shirt. I saw people smirking at me but I noticed I was the only one smiling when I came up from the first dive. I would rather be prepared for cooler temperatures. You can always unzip and let some water in.

Take both. That way you will always have a dry suit to put on. I usually take a 3 and a 5 to bonaire in winter. I wear the three in the morning for 2 tanks, the 5 in the afternoon and then the 3 again for the night dive by which time it's dry or near dry again. If you are doing 3-5 dives per day in bonaire, I figure better too much neoprene than not enough. You don't want to be cold and uncomfortable.
A 5 isn't too hard to get on if you wear a skin or use the plastic bag trick.

how do you pack to stay below 50 pounds a bag?

very difficult. i would like to take Doctorfish's advice, it seems obvious. but wow, the weight. will see....

From you first post I'd say just take the 5mm. Staying under 50 lbs/bag is doable, I take my reg set and camera in my carry-on. You don't need a lot of clothes; I take 2 pairs of shorts and shirts to mix and match, sneakers and casual shoes - wear the heavier pair traveling. 2 or 3 t-shirts and 2 bathing suits. Too many trips in the past I've had clothes just along for the ride so I've been able to really pare it down. You don't need to dress up for dinner, nice shorts and shirt will do. Very casual island.

It's Bonaire. All you need are shorts tee shirts and bathing suits. I take my camera gear and regs as carry on and almost always stay under 50.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom