deciding which wet suit to take

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only reason I sometimes prefer a 5 mm Full in winter in Cozumel is because the boat ride in to spend the surface interval on the shore can be chilly if it's cloudy/rainy. But in Bonaire there is no boat ride issue. I have never been chilly in a 3/2 Full in winter, even when it has been cloudy/rainy. Some of my dive companions dive in shorties or less.

The only reason I sometimes prefer a 5 mm Full in winter in Cozumel is because the boat ride in to spend the surface interval on the shore can be chilly if it's cloudy/rainy. But in Bonaire there is no boat ride issue. I have never been chilly in a 3/2 Full in winter, even when it has been cloudy/rainy. Some of my dive companions dive in shorties or less.

you need to dive with Aldora........

Problem with that is you never know when a tongue of cool water(?upper 70's) will come thru.......Has happened several times to me when we owned on Roatan & visited some in the spring of the year.....

Yeah, I figure every 5 deg difference in water temp is significant and may require a wetsuit adjustment. 77 to 82 degrees is probably the typical swing in Bonaire.

:D
Does the skin provide any additional thermal protection or just help getting the wetsuit on and off?

Today my wife wore her 3 mil and my skin and she was OK. I think the skin provides a bit of warmth but very minimal. However we rarely went below 60 feet because there is really no need to. She did mention that she could feel the chill at 60 feet.

We we have done 3 dives each of our first two days and there is no way I could bare anything thicker than a 3 mil during the dive prep time. Too scorching hot! But I'm not complaining! :D

I also must mention that the diving here has exceeded our expectations. We are hooked on this place.

---------- Post added December 30th, 2013 at 08:01 PM ----------

What are the water temps?

My computer says 81 F but I am certain it reads way high. It is more in the 77 F range according to other divers.

i think we will pack and see how much weight we have, i may take both.... i'll see what hubby says.

you need to dive with Aldora........

Because they provide those boat coats? Yes, we were eyeing them enviously when an Aldora boat docked next to us for the SI. Towels worked okay, though.

Take both. That way you will always have a dry suit to put on. I usually take a 3 and a 5 to bonaire in winter. I wear the three in the morning for 2 tanks, the 5 in the afternoon and then the 3 again for the night dive by which time it's dry or near dry again. If you are doing 3-5 dives per day in bonaire, I figure better too much neoprene than not enough. You don't want to be cold and uncomfortable.
A 5 isn't too hard to get on if you wear a skin or use the plastic bag trick.

how does the plastic bag trick work?

if you put a plastic bag over your foot, your leg slides into the wetsuit leg much more easily. Then just pull the bag off and repeat for other 3 limbs.

I use Lycra socks, no problems with legs going on and off. However, I can't keep the rash guards sleeves on my arms in place, they keep being pulled up my arms. Any type of plastic bag preferred? Work any better if the bag is wet or dry? Ever get called funny names when using the bag? Ha ha ha. ;-)

IF someone's reading this to decide what suit to buy, just remember that a frontzip suit 5mil is like a 2mil with the zip down. It gives you way more heat flexibility. I only own a 5 fronty (as does my wife) and I dive it everywhere that is considered "warm" - 70s-90s. But then again, I get cold standing under a warm shower!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom