Hood Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive it all

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My dive buddy (wife) and I picked up Ocean Reef Neptune Space G.Diver FFM's early in 2013. Put around 50 dives on them in St. Croix, Bonaire and the coast of Oregon. Warm water diving with no hood, they performed flawlessly, sealed great, have great visibility, breathing, etc. and we don't plan to go back to standard masks.

Small problem with cold water diving... she wears a Bare 7mm full suit and a 7mm Bare hooded vest. The mask doesn't seal good against the vest hood and there is always a small leak near the top. More of an annoyance than anything else, but does anyone out there have experience with a hood that will let this mask seal well? We don't want to "cut" the opening on the hooded vest, just doesn't seem right.

The. Hollis dx300 dry suit hood has a skin out seal around the face, your mask may seal better than with a nylon covered one. If it were me I'd just trim the one I have back a bit. Good luck in your search

I had similar problems that any hood seems to cause my mask to leak. So, I bought a beanie like this one.

Trimming is the official process.

For neoprene:
Don the hooded vest, then don the mask. Trace the outline of the seal on to the hood. Trim it with a little overlap so the neoprene goes over the seal.

For uncovered neoprene or latex:
Same process, except you want the mask OVER the rubber, so you have to trace, then measure inward the amount specified by the manufacturer.

Thanks for the replies, looks like we'll trim it.

hilma hooker5.jpg

Never had a problem with a hood causing my mask to leak, but i wear my mask under my hood ( this prevents the mask from being nocked off).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DM Tom, true with a standard mask but we're talking ffm (a broader sealing area) unless you've found a way to get a hood over these...

1116098_668030983224733_1348479736_o.jpg

I wear the hood over top of the strap of the Ocean Reef full mask. After suiting up I pull the hood down around my neck, then I put on and adjust the mask. After the mask is in place I pull the hood up over the 6 point strap. I then make sure that all the strap tabs and the quick release pulls are outside the hood and straight, that way I can adjust the mask while diving (if needed). This method caused no problem the one and only time I needed to remove the mask during a dive. The mask harness peeled the hood off my head as I removed the mask.

Back
Top Bottom