Bad dive buddy rant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving with this "buddy" sounds like going to the mall with my ex-husband and my three kids when they were little! While I was tethered to my kids the ex roamed around unencumbered with the expectation that we would either catch up or otherwise find him. It never occurred to him that he was a burden or cramping our style. I know this isn't marriage counseling (and this is 20 years in the past anyway) but there's a narcissism in this gal's behavior that reminded me of those interminable trips to the mall.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have to agree with the poster. Sounds like a piece of work. Difference is that if she deliberately left me I wouldn't have given her another thought until I got on the boat. If her tag still showed her in the water I would mention it to the captain but aint nobody upsetting me on a dive. Life is too dam short :)

On a different note, does anyone have a compelling reason not to pull macro algae off of coral its smothering. I had a dive master get ticked at me over it. She was great but "no touchy!". Are you out there blackbeard ? :) WebRep

currentVote

noRating
noWeight

If she were just a diver I would agree but she is an instructor and as such should be leading by example even though she wasn't leading the dive, all professional divers are accountable at all times, the problem isn't so much her getting into trouble but a less qualified diver that might not be able handle an incident that she could of prevented had she been closer to them, fortunately this doesn't seem to have happened. As for solo diving that is a padi no no anyway.

PADI has endorsed solo diving through the "self reliant diver" certification. I am also a certified "solo diver" through another organization (although the card itself means little to me)

Also, I agree with your first point, but the next two points aren't exactly accurate. There have been several discussions about an instructor's "duty of care" on this website and others, encompassing what exactly an instructor may be held responsible for during a scheduled class, an unofficial mentoring session, or just going out for fun. I encourage you to seek this information out to avoid any misconceptions.

To your first point, though, leading by example is absolutely a responsibility of a good instructor. I feel that a good instructor accomplishes this by diversifying, taking risks, and continuously developing in their own way - but doing so with due diligence and understanding that with risk comes consequence. By clearly explaining the risk taking behavior, the motivations for doing so, the preparations involved, and the consequences of failure - you bring an open minded perspective that encourages learning and maybe even a bit of inspiration. I believe this sets a much better example than the typical card jockey instructor who teaches by regurgitating a flowchart of ineffectual certifications.

This is beside the point though. What is important to note is that a breakdown of buddy communication and dive planning is a failure at the open water level. The responsibility is thus shared by all certified divers involved, and the fact that one of them is an instructor does not change that nor is it relevant in an objective analysis.

hmmm, with what 3 other divers in her group she had adequate buddy coverage. They could see the bubbles of this new diver, she wasn't quite as bad as some same ocean divers I've seen. I wonder how low the visibility was. I am a North East diver and consider 15' to be halfway decent, down south 100' might be encountered. Also other than having not having dove this site before, it isn't clear what type of dive this was. If this was a 60' in 100' visibility it would be a very different situation than diving in 25' vis at 100' not to mention currents. The OP just didn't give us much to work with.

I would have been annoyed that she wasn't following the plan, but as others pointed out, she may not have signed off on the plan or have been aware of how seriously the others were taking the plan. Annoying, but I don't think it warrants a public rant in the Newbie forum. I will give the OP kudos at least checking on her missing buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom