problems with hollis backuplight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taliena

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a Hollis backupllight. The led6.
The first one I tried in shallow water, max 17m. It worked ok. Then I did a dive to 110m, it was taken as a backuplight, so not used. After the dive, it was not working anymore. No water in it, at surface it worked, but at 10m, it was not possible to put it on anymore. I got a new one under guarantee.
I took the second light with me on a holiday, deep wreckdives. If I went deeper than 70m, I got problems with turning it on. At 100m, it was impossible to turn the switch on. At surface it is ok again (and till 65m no problems to turn it on). The depth rate of this light is 200m. Are there more people with this problem? For me this light is not usefull on deep techdives, and I don't trust it in caves anymore.

I watched a video and seen how your Hollis LED 6 turns on. But I still don't understand why your light doesn't work correctly.

Personally I have found tailcap twistys to be harder to turn on then ones that you twist the head to activate.

In my view and with your issues I would get rid of that Hollis light and go to something else. Since your a cave diver, like myself, backup lights are there to come on when your primary goes out. So one of their main qualifications is to always come on when you need it. Dependable and reliable are words you should use with your backup lights.

I will PM you with what I consider the to be the best out. They're not expensive.

I have a Hollis backupllight. The led6.
The first one I tried in shallow water, max 17m. It worked ok. Then I did a dive to 110m, it was taken as a backuplight, so not used. After the dive, it was not working anymore. No water in it, at surface it worked, but at 10m, it was not possible to put it on anymore. I got a new one under guarantee.
I took the second light with me on a holiday, deep wreckdives. If I went deeper than 70m, I got problems with turning it on. At 100m, it was impossible to turn the switch on. At surface it is ok again (and till 65m no problems to turn it on). The depth rate of this light is 200m. Are there more people with this problem? For me this light is not usefull on deep techdives, and I don't trust it in caves anymore.

Hi Taliena,

Can you confirm what type of batteries you are using in the LED6? We have found that certain off brands have increased off gassing causing the rear cap to lock in place, affecting the sealing surface and potentially the front lens.

We are also working on releasing a magnetic rear cap accessory for the LED3, Mini3 and LED6. These should be available soon.

Thanks,
Nick

I use different brands of batteries in all my lights, other brands of backuplights I have: Agir Brokk, Tecline (polish, but made in China), and Divenology (Chinese too, from the manufacturer MRTdiver mentioned me). With this lights no problems at depth. I use sometimes rechargable batteries too (and they work in all lights without problems)
I haven't used the Hollis-light for deep dives (over 60m) since I found that problem. So I don't know if it happens with other batteries.

Back
Top Bottom