Are Canadian Divers Lousy Customers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...one of those cases where no one wins...
I try hard to be concise in my posts, but there are those that insist on debating the warranty replacement issue, even though I’ve been very clear that I have no expectation of resolution. Responding may take a little bandwidth.

First, sincere apologies to the dive community at large for singlehandedly causing any restrictive new warranty policies that dive retailers may implement. My bad.

Now let’s address some incorrect assumptions.

No professional dives were done using the gear in question. The assumption that the gear was used for a full season is also incorrect. If it had been inspected as suggested in the HOG remedy, that would have been obvious, but…

The gauges were ordered on Nov 27, 2010. Medical issues kept me (and the gauges) on the shelf for over 23 months, starting mid-January, 2011 (nobody’s problem but my own). I reported the failure to TDL in September 20, 2013, just under 3 years after purchase, and conceivably out of warranty. But I wouldn’t know as none was stated. (Do you really replace your cellphone, laptop or TV when the warranty expires if they’re still working?)

I’m getting ready for another cave trip soon, so I turned to the manufacturer for one last try. And here we are today.

TDL’s offer of replacement covers their costs, but doesn’t do as much for me. $41 for a replacement (only one failed) means I’ll ultimately pay close to the cost of three gauges to get two that work. I recently bought another pair of gauges (yes, at a promotional price), so it doesn’t make sense to inventory another SPG.

I’ll pass.

One more time: this thread is about industry perception of Canadian dive customers, not warranty issues.

I try hard to be concise in my posts, but there are those that insist on debating the warranty replacement issue, even though I’ve been very clear that I have no expectation of resolution. Responding may take a little bandwidth.

First, sincere apologies to the dive community at large for singlehandedly causing any restrictive new warranty policies that dive retailers may implement. My bad.

Now let’s address some incorrect assumptions.

No professional dives were done using the gear in question. The assumption that the gear was used for a full season is also incorrect. If it had been inspected as suggested in the HOG remedy, that would have been obvious, but…

The gauges were ordered on Nov 27, 2010. Medical issues kept me (and the gauges) on the shelf for over 23 months, starting mid-January, 2011 (nobody’s problem but my own). I reported the failure to TDL in September 20, 2013, just under 3 years after purchase, and conceivably out of warranty. But I wouldn’t know as none was stated. (Do you really replace your cellphone, laptop or TV when the warranty expires if they’re still working?)

I’m getting ready for another cave trip soon, so I turned to the manufacturer for one last try. And here we are today.

TDL’s offer of replacement covers their costs, but doesn’t do as much for me. $41 for a replacement (only one failed) means I’ll ultimately pay close to the cost of three gauges to get two that work. I recently bought another pair of gauges (yes, at a promotional price), so it doesn’t make sense to inventory another SPG.

I’ll pass.

One more time: this thread is about industry perception of Canadian dive customers, not warranty issues.

To the extent that Canadian customers deal with vendors as you did, such a perception would be warranted.

IMO this thread is at best a passive aggressive slam against HOG / TDL using the stated topic as a pretext for getting your rant out there. I don't think you counted on the email string being posted.

Also IMO if you were a reasonable person and had no expectation of resolution as you state, you would have dropped the issue after discussing it with TDL and realizing that you were outside the warranty period by a very large margin. Instead, you were egged on by some of your tech buddies to believe that if you pushed the issue you would get it replaced. So you went to Chris, gave him attitude, and got your knickers in a twist when it didn't work.

HOG makes great products. I have had the opportunity to try their gear and it works as good as some of the more expensive brands. Yet it appears to me that this company seriously lacks the customer handling experience that must accompany such a business. Just for comparison purposes, I had a similar situation once with another company (Suunto). I had a Suunto dive computer which I had purchased years ago. It malfunctioned after a good four plus years of absolute abuse. When I took it to the Suunto dealer, I had no warranty registration, proof of purchase and Suunto had even stopped manufacturing that Gecko model. If they had told me to buzz off because it is an ancient out of warranty machine and I have no proof where I got it from, I would have no cause to complain. Yet Suunto told me that while they were in no position to fix it, since I had owned their product for all this time, they will take the computer and give me their new Zoop model at a discounted price. I do not remember how much I paid for my new Zoop but it was a hefty discount.

In the end as a manufacturer, it is your business decision whether you choose to honor an out of warranty customer or whether you want to pull out the rule book. Once you have pulled out the rule book, it then becomes the customers consumer decision whether he wants to post the details over the internet or just move on with their lives. This decision is as much the right of the consumer as the first one is the right of the manufacturer.

Final thoughts: It is never a good idea to get personal with the customer. Instead of saying "I am not going to replace the SPG because it is obvious that you are looking to get a free one" it would help your cause if you say, "We do not have a policy of replacing out of warranty products because it creates a false precedence for those people who manipulate the company-customer trust to obtain free gear." By using third person perspective (those people) you can still make the same point in a manner that is less insulting to the person who chose to give you his business.

Canadian are great people. I have lived in Canada for five years and I have found them to be the one of the most polite people anywhere. Maple Leaf fan here and I love GSP too.

Yet Suunto told me that while they were in no position to fix it, since I had owned their product for all this time, they will take the computer and give me their new Zoop model at a discounted price. I do not remember how much I paid for my new Zoop but it was a hefty discount.

Which is exactly the offer made to the OP. Twice. And refused. Twice.

But the OP says that isn't what the thread is about. A manufacturer spouted a personal opinion he had heard from some of his online retailers in the heat of the moment. The OP outed the manufacturer in an attempt to either damage his reputation, hurt his business with a demographic, or make the manufacturer look silly. If Chris had the opportunity to take it back, he might, after all, who wants to admit their prejudices in public. But he doesn't. He was maliciously pointed out by the OP because the OP had a tantrum and didn't get a free gauge.

That's what I think this thread is about.

The OP outed the manufacturer in an attempt to either damage his reputation, hurt his business with a demographic, or make the manufacturer look silly. ....He was maliciously pointed out by the OP because the OP had a tantrum and didn't get a free gauge.

Fact check: The manufacturer was never named until post 18, by someone named.... Wookie???

Your serve, Wookums.

Fact check: The manufacturer was never named until post 18, by someone named.... Wookie???

Your serve, Wookums.

Because you were so concerned with protecting the manufacturers identity?

PM me if you’d like to know to whom you should apologize for our collective boorish behaviour.

Nice try Oh Disingenuous One.

That Polar Vortex thing came down from Canada too..I'm pretty sure. We need a Wall to defend us from the wildlings.

That Polar Vortex thing came down from Canada too..I'm pretty sure. We need a Wall to defend us from the wildlings.

It's called Winter :)

On a side note, as a Canadian who has lived in the states since 2000

The OP has only 35 posts so look at the more recent ones and you may get an idea to whom he is referring.
Has anyone experienced the problem shown in the attached pic? (Hint: it’s the one on the right!)

View attachment 175756

The HOG SPG (Thermo-made) failed on its first cave trip, after 10 dives. And NO, the gauge wasn't subjecting to over 5000 psi!

Neither HOG nor the vendor will replace the gauge (in fact, the HOG rep became quite confrontational).

So I’m wondering if there’s a mechanical fix, short of dismantling and trashing. Any ideas?

Your serve, Wookums.

And he knocks it out of the park. For Christ's sake, do you think Americans are retards?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom