Are Canadian Divers Lousy Customers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didn't you mean to say poutine?

I thought that was just a French Canadian thing. Nasty stuff, that poutine.

The OP has only 35 posts so look at the more recent ones and you may get an idea to whom he is referring.

Even a pig with lipstick is still a pig....

Wookie was talking about poutine...but with ams511's suggestion it matches up well with the suspected manufacturer.:wink:

This is a shame, as I am starting to accumulate quite a bit of their product!

Of course, I don't know the company president at all, but I am surprised that he would make such a blanket statement about Canadians.

Wookie was talking about poutine...but with ams511's suggestion it matches up well with the suspected manufacturer.:wink:

This is a shame, as I am starting to accumulate quite a bit of their product!

Of course, I don't know the company president at all, but I am surprised that he would make such a blanket statement about Canadians.

I have met Chris a number of times, hung out with him and drank with him. I have found him to be most generous, and I have an extremely hard time believing this is about a broken gauge. I buy HOG gauges from TDL, and I've never had a failure, but that isn't the point. The OP had a failure, and for 5 bucks plus shipping, the dealer in Canada and Chris had the opportunity to make this right. Chris chose not to do so for some reason, and it must be a doozey.

I would suspect that Chris will not chime in on this thread. He understands customer service, and if he's chosen not to service this particular customer for some reason, those are his reasons and he doesn't feel the need to air dirty laundry. After all, he has the same e-mail string as the OP. I don't know the OP, but sometimes, it isn't worth the hassle to keep a customer happy. I'm not saying that this is the case here, the OP has put forth a reasonable argument, but it's always possible that the baby was screaming, the rum had run out, the constipation had set in, a bad batch of wings had arrived, and the water to the shower had froxzen. And he got a 4.99 a gallon propane bill.

Chris is Canadian. I wouldn't find it too far out of the realm of possibility that he would make a blanket statement about Canadians at all. I am from Maine. I make dumb Mainer jokes all the time, but don't let me hear anyone from Massachusetts make a dumb Mainer joke. Just imagine if I were from Newfoundland. You Canadians pick on those guys mercilessly, but in the end it's usually all in fun....

I recently contacted one of your resellers about an unusual problem I had with a HOG SPG, but was disappointed by their response to what I thought was a legitimate concern.

After a cave diving trip, I noticed something odd about one of the pair of gauges I had been using. Attached is a photo of the pair.

C:\Users\CHRISR~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg

Yeah, it’s the one on the right.

Haven’t a clue as to how this could happen to an spg. The reseller offered to replace it if I paid around $40 plus shipping. Seeing as that was close to what I paid, it was no bargain. Granted the purchase had been made some time ago, but last July 2013 was the first time these gauges were pressed into service, and I would hope they would have a longer service life than that.

To me, a malfunctioning air gauge is a legitimate safety complaint, so I thought I’d contact you directly to see if we could work out a solution.

Thanks for your time...

Hi xx,

How old is the gauge?

Just out of curiosity, how many psi did you have in you tank? Truth please, will not change how I handle your issue.

Best,

Chris

Chris:

Below is the original communication with the reseller with order information that should establish how old the gauges are. I bought them because they were a great promotional price, and they never saw service until last year.

PSI at outset was a legitimate 3000 psi in aluminum, filled by Scuba Playa’s supplier in Yucatan. Definitely NOT Florida!

The receipt he attached was from 27 Nov 2010

Hi Ed,

The gauge is past warranty for sure. I understand your statement you just put in service last July.

TDL’s offer actually seemed fair, he was willing to not make any money to keep you happy, our prices have gone up on the gauges since 2010.

What would you be happy with?

Best regards,

Chris

I’m guessing I probably won’t have two working gauges. But I would like to know how this might have happened, and if it could happen again. Right now, I’m not at all confident with using the second HOG gauge, so it’s going on the shelf.

TDL may not have made money on their offer, but I’ve definitely lost out.

XX XXXXXXX

Hi XX,

Our gauges are made in Italy by Thermo, same company that makes gauges for Halcyon, Dive RITE, Hollis, XS Scuba, Scubapro and many others.

It isn’t a brand issue (the failure), and frankly they make good gauges but there are some failures that occur. Normally to see the issue you had it’s some insane amount of pressure, but I believe you when you said it wasn’t.

From a warranty aspect we stand behind the gauges as well or better than anybody. I want you to be happy, however you aren’t, and your emails to TDL clearly state that you and your diving friends all advise against HOG…that makes me less likely to want to help out, after all LONG before we were even aware of the issue it was made clear by you that you and your circle have decided that we are selling inferior product.

I asked you in all fairness what you would consider fair, you haven’t replied to that question. How can I even work with that?

Best regards,

Chris Richardson

He then sent me the emails he had exchanged with the dealers with this comment

As for warranty, none was implied or expressed, either on TDL’s webpage or in any documentation that came with the shipment. There wasn’t any: just a couple of ziplock bags.

You took me to task for not responding to what I thought was fair. Frankly, there seemed little hope of a resolution in light of your comments on warranty expiration, rising costs and TDL’s fairness. But you seemed more interested in ripping me a new one instead offering some insight when I asked, “how this might have happened, and if it could happen again.”

I understand if you wish to move on, wishing you the best in your diving.

Best regards,

Chris

Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:39 PM
To: edgediving@gmail.com
Subject: Fwd: Second thoughts, HOG spg

Chris:

I’m disappointed by your characterizations of me in this response. You’ve gone over the top in claiming that I and my dive friends all advise against HOG. Did you read the actual emails or are you working with a paraphrased account from a XXX rep?

If, after reading the email copied below in its entirety, you still maintain your claim, then there’s no hope for a reasonable discussion and I’ll move on.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Begin forwarded message:

XXXX:

After discussions with a couple of tech buddies, I've decided against replacing my malfunctioning HOG pressure gauge with another unit.

Consensus was that gauges shouldn't fail like this, especially considering this was their first season of use. They expressed disappointment at the lack of support for a critical piece of safety gear (whether by the manufacturer or the vendor), and advised I choose another brand and supplier.

Sorry for bothering you, I appreciate your time on this.

On 09-25-2013, at 9:20 AM, xxxx wrote:

XXXXX, let's go ahead and replace the gauge. Send me ordering details and I'll return the credit card and shipping info. I'll get you to send it to a U.S address in Michigan.

On 09-24-2013, at 4:38 PM, administration > wrote:

Hi XX, Sorry for the long delay with a reply. There is something wrong with the gauge on the right. We had talked to HOG about this issue and believed we could get it replace until we looked at the order date. Since its three years old that will not happen. That said, I will be happy to replace it for $41.00 USD plus shipping. That will cover our cost for the gauge and solve your issue. Let us know.

Regards,
dive shop

Hi XX,

I apologize if I read into your email to XXX more than you intended.

However, the TDL offer was fair and you have not told me what you would consider a fair resolution.

I understand if you wish to move on, wishing you the best in your diving.

Best regards,

Chris

Fair resolution?

Replace the gauge.

Fair enough?

XX XXXXXX

HERE IS WHERE I SCREWED UP

If you send me the failed gauge I will inspect it to determine if the usage is consistent with your claims. If the condition is of very light use I will offer you a replacement.

Best regards,

Chris Richardson

FOLLOWED DIRECTLY AFTER I SENT SEND ON THE ABOVE

Hi Ed,

Actually I rescind that offer. Honestly, why should I bother when somebody can't be bothered to use simple polite means of communicating?

Regards,

Chris Richardson

He then sent me a llink with no comment on ZDNET regarding customer service for millennial

Live Webcast - Wakeup Call: A survival guide for the changing face of customer service - TechRepublic.

Hi XX,

Thanks.

Please understand, I read all your emails, the tone was pretty clear. I asked you multiple times a simple question that you did not answer until you sent me a email that was as follows,

Fair resolution?

Replace the gauge.

Fair enough?

XXXXXX

No, Hi Chris, No best XX, no nothing but attitude.

The gauge is out of warranty. There is not any recall or known issue with the gauge that would cause me to offer replacement out of warranty.

Your email to xxdiveshopxx was pretty clear that HOG quality was subpar that the gauge failed, that our service was subpar and frankly that the damage to my brand was already done.

“Consensus was that gauges shouldn't fail like this, especially considering this was their first season of use. They expressed disappointment at the lack of support for a critical piece of safety gear (whether by the manufacturer or the vendor), and advised I choose another brand and supplier.”

Now certainly I could choose to mitigate the damage by sending you a new gauge, possibly I should have.

Your “ace in the hole” to get a free gauge is pretty obvious from every communication, you will get a free gauge or you will do your best to harm us. In fact your mistitled email “Final Thoughts, HOG spg” (the email before this one I am replying to) laid it out in the open

“I’ll be sure to pass on your standards of customer service to others.”

Frankly, I suspect that even had I taken the route of sending you a free gauge, the message shared with the “others” would have been if you make a fuss they send you free gear. That is a bad precedent to set.

So you understand, my deciding to not extend post warranty support/replacement has nothing to do with the warranty at this stage, it came about because frankly as I hit send to you on the email asking you to send me the bad gauge I realized that there was obviously no real upside to replacing the unit or to having you waste your money sending it to me.

The damage was done. You were already upset and even if you got your way you would have felt it was a “hard won victory” after which you would still be a dis-satisfied customer. Heck you already said you won’t use the other gauge you have that works because HOG is printed on it, why send you another to collect dust?

I asked you before what you would consider a fair resolution, I’ll ask you a new question. What would you have done in this case?

I have laid out in a very honest fashion the reasons behind my actions, I hope you can honestly reflect on yours.

On a side note, as a Canadian who has lived in the states since 2000, it saddens me to hears from so many US dive retailers how they have many bad experiences with Canadian Customers , we have been coming off like entitled, rude jerks. That sucks considering in my generation (Gen X) we prided ourselves on being polite and considerate.

Best regards,

Chris

Chris:

Despite your contention that you “…have laid out in a very honest fashion…,” you have been far from forthright.

The quotes that you incorrectly interpret as us saying HOG gauges are subpar do nothing of the sort. They were informed opinion on expected dependability, as well as an expression of disappointment in XXX’s customer service. And there is absolutely no implied or expressed threat toward HOG or XXX. The call-to-action was to seek out more supportive brands and vendors.

However, my intention to pass on my assessment of your personal customer service skills is how I will respond to your personal attack on me. You should be a steward of your brand’s reputation; I sincerely hope you take advantage of the learning opportunity my last e-mail offers.

You ask, “What would you have done in this case?” At the very least, I would have considered that an SPG failure has critical safety implications, and that liability issues should dictate how the request was handled in terms of customer service. The replacement would have been in the mail before I hit “Send.”

How you can say I would be getting a “a free gauge” when one has clearly failed and I’m out-of-pocket is clearly misguided. (You should also share your warranty terms with your customers.)

To conclude, you chose to slander Canadian dive customers in general, eh Chris? That’s just low, mean-spirited and spiteful. How can you, as a self-confessed Gen-Xer claim to be polite and considerate?

Definitely worth passing on to my diving associates.

I think we’re done here, aren’t we, Chris?

Warmest, fondest regards,

Cordially,
XX XXXXX

Hi XX,

I didn’t choose to slander Canadians, I passed along what I have heard from numerous US retailers concerning their experiences with Canadian customers. First of all slander is defamation of a false manner, I passed along what I have been told. Also, I did it in writing, when somebody is defamed in writing it is libel, verbally it is slander.

Again, you got what you perceived to be bad service from TDL, so the call of action was to seek out “more supportive brands”, so judgment was already passed. That is what I realized which is why I decided that doing any ouit of warranty support would be a poor investment. Was I wrong?? If I had sent you a new gauge right away what would have changed? You already stated that you had lost trust in a brand.

Brake failures are also a serious safety issue, I have never seen any brand of car offer free brakes for life, which would be the logical extension of your argument.

Regards,

Chris

Then I get this

Hi XX,

I didn’t choose to slander Canadians, I passed along what I have heard from numerous US retailers concerning their experiences with Canadian customers. First of all slander is defamation of a false manner, I passed along what I have been told.
slander |ˈslandər|
verb [ with obj. ] make false and damaging statements about (someone): they were accused of slandering the head of state.

What a ridiculous assertion. Of course you chose to slander Canadians. You enjoyed passing on hearsay, not truth, with the intent to dismiss me as part of an undesirable consumer nation.

Also, I did it in writing, when somebody is defamed in writing it is libel, verbally it is slander.

So you do admit to libel? “…I did it in writing."

Again, you got what you perceived to be bad service from XXXX, so the call of action was to seek out “more supportive brands”, so judgment was already passed. That is what I realized which is why I decided that doing any ouit of warranty support would be a poor investment. Was I wrong??

Yeah, wrong again. Those judgments were about XXX, arrived at after they insisted I pay again to replace a failed product. If they had supported the product (and you in the process), I definitely would have a positive opinion of them.

If I had sent you a new gauge right away what would have changed?

Same deal (see above). Support the consumer and you establish trust. Start thinking about the life-time value of a customer. Especially if they’re in a position to influence student equipment purchases.

Do you think this is about scamming you out of a $70 gauge? Really?

You already stated that you had lost trust in a brand.

Let’s go with “Wrong” again. I lost trust in a company’s customer service. That’s what this is all about, Chris! The fact that it is was your brand is unfortunate, but doesn’t change the overarching issue.

Brake failures are also a serious safety issue, I have never seen any brand of car offer free brakes for life, which would be the logical extension of your argument.

I call Reductio ad absurdum! We’re not talking about life-time replacement here! If a car's brakes failed after 10 miles, the vendor would have a problem, especially if an accident had happened. The gauge failed after 10 dives. You could have determined that if you had followed your instincts and examined the gauge for usage.

A purchaser has a right to a reasonable expectation of performance. I didn’t get it.

With warmest regards,
XX XXXXX

What part of Canada you from?

Sent: Friday, January 17, 2014 3:24 PM
To: edgediving@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Everything

Hey, Chris, old pal!

This is fun, isn’t it?

Hi XX,

Kinda.

Best,

Chris

I wrote him back Halifax in a single word email to his question I missed, where I was from

To me,
If the warranty ran out, well it ran out.
Temper flares and it's hard to gauge emotion over a keyboard.
This could have probably all avoided with a phone call instead, I think.

I just bought/receive my 1st piece of HOG over the xmas break (3 actually) and I can't wait to dive them. the 1st thing that I actually did was to go on HOG's website and see what was up there. I also immediately register my products on their site for warranty purpose. Chris if I may make one suggestion would be to add the terms of warranty on your website. I couldn't find them there. my 1st stage came with the book, but not my wing or SPG.

Anyway, I still think that HOG has quality product and think that Chris tried to do the right thing. Again, there is nothing like verbal communication!

Jon

Back
Top Bottom