Thailand Diving Close to Bangkok - Pattaya - Mermaids? Real Divers? Please recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can recommend Pattaya Dive center. I did Padi wreck speciallity there, and Andy is a great instructor.

Another option is to do pool diving in Bangkok, and do sea dives later in Pattaya.. Mermaids Bangkok use a BIG and deep pool for confined water training.

I can recommend Pattaya Dive center. I did Padi wreck speciallity there, and Andy is a great instructor.

Another option is to do pool diving in Bangkok, and do sea dives later in Pattaya.. Mermaids Bangkok use a BIG and deep pool for confined water training.

I've done some dives with Pattaya dive center, and I did a DM at Real Divers. Either shop will give you what Pattaya has to offer for diving. If you do a quick search of the threads here you will find various opinions about other operators, and the overall quality and professionalism of the area shops. Your in for a long day if you want to come from Bangkok, get on the boat dive and return.

Another option for refreshing skills in Bangkok could be a SCUBA Tune-up and then a shark dive in the aquarium - Dive with Sharks in Bangkok Thailand

Mermaids seems to be doing rather better in pairing new divers (new to them) with permanent staff than they did in years past. The Hardeep can be a challenge for AOW divers if there is a current. The usually/always offer a coral dive as an alternative if you are not AOW or don't feel up to dragging yourself down the line.

Mermaids seems to be doing rather better in pairing new divers (new to them) with permanent staff than they did in years past. The Hardeep can be a challenge for AOW divers if there is a current. The usually/always offer a coral dive as an alternative if you are not AOW or don't feel up to dragging yourself down the line.

When there is strong current running, I think the dive on the Hardeep is a waste of time regardless of training / experience levels, in moderate currents it can be OK but when a full current is running on either a rising or falling tide, the dive is simply hard work, can be dangerous, and in my mind no fun at all. Admittedly the window of slack water on this wreck is a short one, but is more than sufficient duration for a decent dive, unfortunately dive operators are either incapable and / or unwilling to plan their activities to suit. This has always been a mystery to me why they don't plan their activities to suit and give their customers dives on slack water, such a small effort, costs nothing, and may result in happy customers as opposed to disgruntled and exhausted ones.
Personally at Samae San I prefer to dive shark Fin Rock to the wreck any day.

I have dived with both and recommend you do the same on different outings. Both are good choices but by far I have done more dives with Mermaids.I find them very easy to work with and quite professional.

1. Transportation from Bangkok and back (hire cab who can take you and provide return if you do not stay overnight)
2. Good equipment (though I may bring my own Reg, Computers, Mask, Fins, and BCD) (Both can rent you kit)

Good diving,

Steve

I simply wouldn't bother, I have tried several shops over the last few years, none are really up to scratch, and the diving quality around the area is generally poor. I most definitely will not be diving around there again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom