2 Finnish divers dead, 3 injured in Plurdalen / Norway

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
These two divers - both - died deep (110 meters, and not during deco) in the cave having reached a restriction (after passing another) and passing the maximum depth on scooter (low exertion) at 129 meters (4C water).

You hypothesis is that one got scared (the second to die) - or do you have any other hypothesis to put forward???

My hypothesis is a CO2 problem in both cases (hypothesis, not fact) and I explained the reasons and mechanism (i.e. see Simon Mitchell explanation posted earlier).

As I stated earlier, we will never know because the autopsy cannot ascertain O2 and/or CO2 induced fatalities.

We all die of too little O2 and a bit of CO2.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can also die if your unit is flooded and your stuck at 110m , you could passaway from a bad ticker cos your a old fart and not v fit . so what ,

...and the units are likely to be recovered flooded - both of them, as is in most rebreather fatalities.

Autopsies though would be able to determine if it was MI (my understanding).

However, my only purpose here, and I have no personal agenda, is to point out (albeit as much should be obvious to those who hold a rebreather C-Card) that no rebreather is suitable for this type of diving and the bigger risk is the deep portion.

So, to avoid further fatalities divers, besides using the units with the better tested WOB and scrubbers, may want to consider maybe some strategies to reduce/mitigate CO2 risks at depth (such as going OC for the deep portion of the dive or those portions where they exert themselves).

We are going in circles, so maybe we should wait for more facts to come out since we covered all known facts (me going skiing, talk to you in a week).

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Closed for cleanup. I'll reopen it when I've removed all the bickering and off-topic stuff.
In the meantime, please read the special rules for this forum, and when this thread opens back up, heed them.
Thanks in advance...

Rick Murchison:
The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.
Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sheriff's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) Off topic posts will be removed and off topic comments will be edited.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling; no blamestorming. Mishap analysis does not lay blame, it finds causes.
(5) No "condolences to the family" here. Please use our Passings Forum for these kinds of messages.
(6) If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, cite the source.
(7) If your post is your hypothesis, theory, or a "possible scenario," identify it as such.
(8) If your post is about legal action that concerns a mishap, use the Scuba Related Court Cases forum.
Thanks in advance,
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom