How much did it all cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably in the 3k to 4k range.

but, I'm not done yet! :eyebrow:

Lost and flooded flashlights.........$350
Regs I don't use anymore............$500
Tools, bags, o-rings, sh** you don't even think about until you need it....................................$750

I recently equiped my son.......

Hyperstrech suit................$300
BC..................................$350
Regs...............................$450
Hood, Gloves and Boots......$150
Computer.........................$650
Total...............................$1900

This does not include tanks, mask, fins, lights,snorkel, weights or instruction.

He also didn't like the Zeagle I wanted to get him as much as a cheaper BC (His Preference).

I won't sell, or let him use used life support equipment that I am not happy with, so that's a total loss.

TT :11:

rna:
Approximately how much money did you guys spend to become fully equipped for SCUBA diving?

I took this as a challenge... a Leisurepro warm water "introductory" package that would not suck.

AquaLung Titan Regulator $175
Aqualung XLC Octopus $77
Zeagle Scout BCD $215
Aeris Atmos 1 Computer Console $225
Aeris Velocity Full Foot Fins $30
Cressi-Sub “Big Eyes Mask $32
Blue Reef 3/2MM Neoprene Mens One Piece Jumpsuit $65
Assorted weights, clips, accessories and doo-dads $100

Total $919

It's paid for in fewer than 20 days of diving.

In a couple years you'll be ready to buy new gear (with the benefit of knowledge and experience) and you hang onto this as your tropical travel gear.

That said... is that what I did? No. I wanted higher end stuff and I didn't do "gray market." My location relegates me to colder and deeper, so I paid almost twice as much. If I lived in Florida I'd have considered a starter package like this.

Just me for my personal diving habit....

1 Dry suit - $1500.00
2 Wet Suits - $500.00
2 BC's - $1000.00
2 Fin sets - $300.00
2 Masks - $140.00
3 Tanks - $600.00
1 Reg Setup - $1000.00
3 Computers - $1000.00

That's just for me.

Add in the students gear that I also have and we are looking at about $8,000.

Cost of lessons going from OW to Instructor was about $4400.00.

So all total about $12,400.00

Of course, I didn't pay full retail on some of these items since I get a discount as an instructor and sometimes happen to be in the right place at the right time...

YMMV...

Randy

Damage to date:
$1100 on BCD and regulators
$200 mask, fins and boots (even with 1/2 off on the fins)
$140 on 1mm wetsuit
$150 on lessons & books (friend rate)
$150 on weight, gloves, knife, slate and misc clips and crap
$25 for a gear bag to haul it all around.

DeputyDan, I hope you know which forums your wife DOES NOT look into, because if she starts getting cranky, you can blame it on me lol

So what are OW, BC, Sausage, Shears, Nitrox, AOW, LDS, and BCD? I don't know much here and the search button isn't very helpful either. Excuse my ignorance please.

About $2,000 on gear and $75 per 2 tank dive (tip, refill, boat)

Chad

rna:
So what are OW, BC, Sausage, Shears, Nitrox, AOW, LDS, and BCD? I don't know much here and the search button isn't very helpful either. Excuse my ignorance please.

Ignorance is fine, assuming you're not a certified diver. If not, it would have been good manners to state that in your first post.

MD

Just checked and my gear comes to $3,141 currently. That includes: mask, snorkel, fins, two wetsuits, booties, gloves, two hoods, regulator/AAS/SPG, BC, gear bags (3), hangers (4), dive computer, compass, slate, EMT shears, sausage, two single steel tanks, lights (primary, backup, tank), an IP gauge, and a tire inflator (with a QR fitting to use more of the end of the tank).

OK, the tire inflator isn't really scuba gear so take off $13.

Add about $1500 in OW, AOW, Nitrox, CPR, rental gear and dive trips so far.

Is that enough? (I had about $4k in total before I had enough gear to stop renting anything before a dive, ie, incl. tanks)

-Rob

Back
Top Bottom