How much did it all cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its funny that you asked this question this week. I was chatting with one of the guys at my LDS about the amount of money we'd both spent on gear. He called up my account.

To date, I've spent approximately $17,000.00 on gear. I've spent about $3,000.00 on training.

I've got another $4,500.00 budgeted for this year to buy another set of doubles and a Gavin scooter.

This is a subject that requires a lot of drinking before you can answer. So I'll take a few shots and give it a try.

OW training - $75.00 (Having an Instuctor at your University is an advantage)
Personal gear + 3mm shorty $150.00
Reg & octo - $600.00
BC - $450.00
Guage - $135.00
Weights - $60.00
reg bag - $20.00
Misc. - $300.00
Confidence that your gear isn't going to fail at
30ft like rental gear at the local quarry - Free

I have not drank nearly enough to add all that up, but it could have been worse.

rna:
Approximately how much money did you guys spend to become fully equipped for SCUBA diving?

2 grand will get you pretty well equiped for warm water diving
Just my opinion

About 6,400$.
Thats for:
*Basic scuba kit (wetsuit,BC, Reg, fins, snorcle, tank etc)
*Doubles (2*15 liters/104s) + Extra reg and 1st stage
*BP/wing
*2 deco bottles wth 1 reg
*Drysuit
*New wetsuit
*Hid cannister light
*2 computers
*Knives, masks and other misc. stuff

Add another 2,000$ for training and thats pretty much my total (except for actual diving, dive-trips etc)

Northeastwrecks:
Its funny that you asked this question this week. I was chatting with one of the guys at my LDS about the amount of money we'd both spent on gear. He called up my account.

To date, I've spent approximately $17,000.00 on gear. I've spent about $3,000.00 on training.

I've got another $4,500.00 budgeted for this year to buy another set of doubles and a Gavin scooter.

How about I open an LDS just for you?

Someone also asked me that a few days ago. I just decided not to add it up. Whatever it was, it was worth every penny!

Here's the basic warm water rig I just put together -

Diverite ss bp - $79
Diverite Venture wing - $178
Standard harness - $23
Diverite RG2000 Reg (1st stage and 2nd stage backup reg)- $226
Kirby Morgan SuperFlow 2nd stage primary- $126
Triple-L shorty - $25
Triple-L Dive Bag - $22
SPG - $74
Depth gauge - $10
Weight belt/ weights - $50

Total - $813

Tank Rentals w/air are $4 around here

overexposed2X:
Coming to the conclusion that you have bought and used two of the wrong type of BCs and now you have to buy a BPW - $1,500.

Knowing that you bought the wrong kind of lights and now have to upgrade to a can light - $1,000.

Buying the wrong type of drysuit and having to buy a new one - $3000.

Buying retractors, ankle weights, snorkels, split fins, computers and now realizing that these are obsolete - $2,000.

Seeing the real mistakes you made in your classes DIR - F video - $$Priceless $$

DANG! Now I know how to get free gear! Hang outside a DIR-F class and offer to collect everyone's "wrong" equipment.

LeFlaneur:
DANG! Now I know how to get free gear! Hang outside a DIR-F class and offer to collect everyone's "wrong" equipment.
That is funny :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom