Dive Boat Operator Abandons Divers in the Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what happen to responsibility and dedication...sad news for sure..

Thanks for the warning! LOL
Don't worry RickyF, now that it's been in the paper Kilikina only has sober captains. Wait a second, we had sober captains before it was in the paper too. Are we doing this captain thing right? I mean we haven't had any major problems...ever... is that the way it's supposed to be done??? now I'm confused :wink: :confused: :wink:

Don't worry RickyF, now that it's been in the paper Kilikina only has sober captains. Wait a second, we had sober captains before it was in the paper too. Are we doing this captain thing right? I mean we haven't had any major problems...ever... is that the way it's supposed to be done??? now I'm confused :wink: :confused: :wink:

See there, I knew there was something wrong with your crew! They're sober! LOL Well maybe except for Andrew and I'm not sure what's wrong with Blade! Ha!

The possibility that the anchor came loose and the one engine wouldn't start is not that far fetched. It happens all time. That might not be what happened here but without more information we don't know what caused the problem. Adventure-Ocean

The possibility that the anchor came loose and the one engine wouldn't start is not that far fetched. It happens all time. That might not be what happened here but without more information we don't know what caused the problem. Adventure-Ocean

True...

But I'm betting being so intoxicated "while on duty" as a dive boat operator that the Coast Guard noticed it and called the police was not a great start towards explaining away the problem of leaving his divers :wink:.... and mooring to the fixed mooring systems at the various Kona dive sites is more common (and legal!) than anchoring, so dragging the anchor is probably off the table.

But just maybe the mooring line parted, the engine wouldn't start, and the radio didn't work either... he knew he was "screwed" and didn't really like the job much anyway, so broke into the after-work 12 pack he had stashed while waiting for rescue...

Best wishes.

OK let's run the checklist of the total misfortune of the conscientious captain:

Anchor line came loose
motor wouldn't Start
radio failed
cell phone couldn't find service
Was sober until he hit landfall and then started drinking after he called for help'

The World's Most Unfortunate Man. I don't always drink beer, but when I drink I get DRUNK AND LEAVE DIVERS IN THE OCEAN!!

This is why I carry my PLB and VHF handheld in a PVC container when I dive. Never know if they'll be there or not when you surface.

This is why I carry my PLB and VHF handheld in a PVC container when I dive. Never know if they'll be there or not when you surface.

Until this incident was reported, I would have told you not to bother for diving in Kona. The sites are all very close to shore (you can often shore dive the same site that the dive boats are going to), sea is generally calm, current is minimal-to-none, and the boats are securely moored (not anchored!!) to the permanent mooring buoys, and the dive ops are consummate professionals. If there was a breakdown it will happen while the divers are aboard or when the captain starts the boat while stilled moored, they know what to do, and you'd be inconvenienced at worst, but not abandoned in the water.

I'm really curious about what actually happened in this case, but have not heard any more (yet).

Best wishes.

Having the mooring line come loose and the engine won't start is a bit far fetched in my onion, although not impossible. If you can't tie your boat securely you deserve to be picked up by the USCG and charged with DUI. As for the engine, problems do occur, but if you can't feel confident that your boat will make it back to port DO NOT TAKE IT OUT!!!! I'm not saying that it can't happen, but that it probably won't happen and if it did happen that way I feel less sorry for him than if he were drunk.

Having the mooring line come loose and the engine won't start is a bit far fetched in my onion, although not impossible. If you can't tie your boat securely you deserve to be picked up by the USCG and charged with DUI. As for the engine, problems do occur, but if you can't feel confident that your boat will make it back to port DO NOT TAKE IT OUT!!!! I'm not saying that it can't happen, but that it probably won't happen and if it did happen that way I feel less sorry for him than if he were drunk.

I certainly can't nor do I want to defend a drunk captain. My point is, when companies have a daily boating service, things happen. People screw up and equipment fails. Boats come off their moorings and anchors come loose or lines break. Problems at sea happen to all captains. Even good ones. My friend, who is a great captain, had his 60 ft boat lose it's anchor when divers were in the water. He had two 12 cylinder deisal engines that failed to start. His radio did work and help was called. He was then and is now a very competent captain.

Your comment on engines tells me you've never been on a boat that actually broke down while at sea. I hope your good fortune continues. In my career it's happened twice. Both times the break downs were unforseeable. The boats were nicely maintained. We had great confidence in them. They just chose to be at sea when they broke.

I guess I'm having trouble thinking this captain purposely left his divers. If he did, it's the first I've ever heard of. If leaving his divers was not an accident he should lose his license, if he had one. If he did not have one then he is breaking the law by taking paying customers out on a boat. He should be arrested. Adventure-Ocean

Back
Top Bottom