Incident at the BreakWater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arat

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know what happened to the unconscious diver that was pulled from the water at San Carlos beach Saturday morning around 11:00 am on 3/22/14? I was told he was an open water student out of a Santa Clara dive shop. Emergency help was on site immediately, and the unconscious diver was whisked away in an ambulance immediately. I hope he is OK!

Does anyone know what happened to the unconscious diver that was pulled from the water at San Carlos beach Saturday morning around 11:00 am on 3/22/14? I was told he was an open water student out of a Santa Clara dive shop. Emergency help was on site immediately, and the unconscious diver was whisked away in an ambulance immediately. I hope he is OK!

I was on the beach watching the divers when his wife came up to me. She asked, "why isn't any one helping my husband" I asked her who her husband was, and she pointed to a man past the surf zone, surrounded by a bunch of divers, in blue fins. He was on his back, and no one was paying any attention to him.

After storming into the water, shouting to get their attention, it was clear that he was in distress. I called out to someone on the break water to call for 911. Luckily the emergency crew was parked right outside of Glens. By the time we carried the diver out of the water, the emergency team was there to give him oxygen. The paramedics showed up minutes later. I've never seen that color of ash grey purple before.

I don't know what happened to the man to put him in distress. I spoke with the police about 45 minutes later, and they said that he was able to answer some of their questions. Thank God.

Thank goodness indeed, and thank goodness you were paying attention! I have never seen anyone turn from an ash gray coloration to dark purple before. Even when he was on his side with oxygen, his coloration was purple. One of the paramedics thought that the guy had a pulmonary embolism.
I heard that he shot up from depth during his O/W training at the instructor's float. His wife was in the class too, but she had already dropped out and was waiting on the beach. I wonder where his instructor, DM or dive buddy were...
I was on the beach watching the divers when his wife came up to me. She asked, "why isn't any one helping my husband" I asked her who her husband was, and she pointed to a man past the surf zone, surrounded by a bunch of divers, in blue fins. He was on his back, and no one was paying any attention to him. After storming into the water, shouting to get their attention, it was clear that he was in distress. I called out to someone on the break water to call for 911. Luckily the emergency crew was parked right outside of Glens. By the time we carried the diver out of the water, the emergency team was there to give him oxygen. The paramedics showed up minutes later. I've never seen that color of ash grey purple before. I don't know what happened to the man to put him in distress. I spoke with the police about 45 minutes later, and they said that he was able to answer some of their questions. Thank God.

Back
Top Bottom