Diving near Dallas/Fort Worth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a Texan, currently displaced in mississippi. My observation is for all my fellow Texans. Most of the rest of the world would not consider mammoth or Padre to be in the vicinity of Dallas. Outside of Texas, Dallas to Padre would be a three state trip!

What is the water temp @ Mammoth?

Temp, surface to 20' is 74 DEG F; Below 22' to 40' approx. 70-72 DEG F; deep hole at 60' is approx. 58 DEG F.

Visibility is extremely variable, and changes at different portions of the lake during any given day due to wind, with the highest visibility factor being an area where open water students are conducting classes. Some area's of the lake right now will have 15+ feet, most will have a solid 10-12', with high use area's like the C-130 being dropped to 8' during heavy training days.

As has been said, Clear Springs Scuba Park is popular with the Dallas/Ft. Worth people as it is "fairly" close with a max. depth of ~ 60 ft.

Although I've never been there, Possum Kingdom Lake gets pretty good reviews.

A bit farther away, but another "real" lake as opposed to a quarry, is Broken Bow Lake in Oklahoma.

You might pm Frank, aka Timeliner, to see if he would be available to take you on a tour of Broken Bow...if you gave him a heads up before hand.

Scuba with Frank & Laura

Texas lakes can't hold a candle to Oz diving though.

Frank...you out there?

Let me add to sealskin98 above. A little farther north of Possum Kingdom near Ardmore, OK is Lake Murray. The visibility is a little better than most of the freshwater lakes in the area and the lake itself is just a nice area with lots of trees and nice camping areas. Lake Murray State Park has cabins and a Lodge. Probably about 70 miles north of DFW along I-35.

DFB

Back
Top Bottom