The Human Cork

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I'm currently taking my OW class (SSI). I became interested in learning how to dive because I love to snorkel while on vacation. Most of my snorkeling has been on St. John where is it is very easy to just swim out from any beach and snorkel.

My husband got his OW certification last month and we went to Marathon FL for his OW checkout dives. I snorkled Coffin's Patch (which I really enjoyed) and tried snuba diving. I was very discouraged with snuba because I spent almost the entire time of the deck of the boat getting more and more weight added to my belt. I am 5'9" tall and weigh 155 lbs. I eventally sort of sunk with 18 lbs of weight, but by that time I was so tired of struggling with sinking, I really didn't enjoy myself. I would have had a lot more fun snorkeling. The snuba instructor dubbed me The Human Cork. Evidentally, I do not look like I need a lot of weight to sink.

When we returned, we went to our local dive shop and I discussed my problem with them and they assured me they would weigh me so I could sink without struggling. I signed up for the class.

Last night (our second class), we practised skin diving in the indoor pool (which was quite cool). Again, I had problems sinking wearing 1 mm microprene suit. I was given 9 lbs, then 12 lbs, then 14 lbs. I was able to dive from the face down position with 14, but unable to sink feet first with 14. We then put on back-inflated BCs and I couldn't get below the surface at all with my BC completed deflated. My spirits were pretty much deflated by then too.

I really hated the back-inflation. Most of my weight belt was on the back but, I just tilted over when I inflated my BC. My legs wanted to pop out of the water and I was just miserable. I have tried on other BCs which inflate all over and they feel much more comfortable. I think I would be more comfortable with an integrated weight system, but I'm not sure.

Next week I'm going to wear a 3 mm suit because I was so cold last time. I will probably need more weight. I do not want to spend my next session struggling with the weight again. I already mentioned the weight problem to my instructor before we began. Should I talk to him again? I also want to let me know how much I detest the back inflated BC with all the weight, but I don't want to appear to be a whiner, because I'm not. I would be willing to buy my own BC at this point. For some reason, the instructor wanted us all to wear the back-inflated, student BCs.

I've always been very bouyant and a good swimmer. I think I learned to swim at a young age because I can float without thinking about it. I don't want to get into a hobby which will be a constant struggle with equipment. I want to be better able to enjoy looking at coral reefs.

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

First of all, welcome to the board! This is a good place for beginners to see what scuba entails. Now, if you feel uncomfortable with ANYTHING during instruction, always bring it up with your instructor, be it equipment, technique, anything. His job is to make you comfortable with scuba. In extreme cases, if he blows you off, continues to make you do techniques that make you feel uncomfortable, go find another instructor. Also, his pushing back inflate is probably tied directly to the shop he's affiliated with, but if you put your foot down and tell him you want to use a jacket style, he should relent. Don't let him push you into using equipment you're not comfortable with. I'm surprised that they don't have any jacket style BCs lying around for instruction; those are the most common (IME).

Don't worry about weighting issues; some people sink like a stone, some need 50 pounds of lead. With experience, chances are that you'll be needing less as you go along.

Try not to get too discouraged, though; you're on a steep learning curve, but once you get there, it's great!

You're someone who is deceptively buoyant, so the amount of weight you need is being underestimated. Practice should determine the correct amount of weight.

Once you have the correct weight for your equipment, you should not have to worry about struggling with weight. Remember, this isn’t an issue about your skill. It’s simply you are more buoyant than most.

Disclaimer, I’m not yet certified, but I used to teach swimming, and every once in awhile I’d met an adult female who cork floated like you do. One women could jump into the fool from 5 feet and her head didn’t get wet. Her chest was out of the water when treading water. Not that she actually had to tread, she simply floated, and very high.

She didn’t look at all like she should float like that, and her weight wasn’t high either. I couldn’t imagine anyone getting dive weights correctly weighted for her without much effort and many tries.

You are likely in the same position. Just remember what the weights were once they are comfortable and correct.

Xanthro

I guess my first bit of advice would be to not worry about needing extra weight. I know that's easy for me to say, but seriously this is supposed to be a fun hobby and we're not supposed to let things like what others will think stress us out.

2nd, as to back-inflated BC vs. a vest style BC. Once you get through your Open Water certs you'll be a lot more comfortable in your dive gear, and you may enjoy a back-inflated BC more. It certainly is more comfortable (to me) while diving, even though it does have a tendency to push you over a bit on the surface. You're dive instructor should be able to accommodate your wish to be in a vest style BC though.

3rd, you might try ankle weights if you're worried about up-ending. I use them all the time with my drysuit, and find that it helps.

4th, I would recommend a weight-integrated BC. My waist to hip ratio is about 1:1 :) Consequently by the time I add all the weight I need to a weight belt it ends up slipping over my waist during a dive and ends up around my ankles. I have to cinch it so tight I can't breath to fix that. Weight belts also give me a backache. A weight integrated BC resolves these problems.

Finally, it's (a big part of) your instructor's job to help you get through your open water class. A key here is communication. Being a whiner has nothing to do with it.
I think you need to let him know your frustrations. He should be able to resolve the problems without singling you out in class. If the pool is available you should suit up and try on various weights/equipment before class starts - that way you won't feel like you're the center of attention when you're working out your buoyancy.

Hope some of this rambling helps,

Jerry

just to jump on the band wagon, don't sweat the weights. When I taught, I had everything from corks to stones. You need what you need, it's just physics. Frustrating early on, but worth sticking through IMHO. Once you don't have to fight your grear, diving gets WAY more fun. You will find as that you get more experienced, you'll probably need a bit less weight.

Some people also tend to breath in fast but exhale slow. This means you'll tend to be more bouyant than you should be.

jim

My wife had a heck of a time in OW class. Eventually she got it worked out and is having a great time. Part of the problem was the more frustrated she got the more she problems she had due to her breathing. Comfort and breathing techinques are a big part of it.

redhatmama:
I also want to let me know how much I detest the back inflated BC with all the weight, but I don't want to appear to be a whiner, because I'm not. I would be willing to buy my own BC at this point. For some reason, the instructor wanted us all to wear the back-inflated, student BCs.

It's important that you be as comfortable, so ask him if you can wear a jacket sytle.

I've always been very bouyant and a good swimmer. I think I learned to swim at a young age because I can float without thinking about it. I don't want to get into a hobby which will be a constant struggle with equipment. I want to be better able to enjoy looking at coral reefs.
It's common for newbies to need more weight, and if you've done any freediving while snorkeling, this could be even more so. And if you're a natural floater, that can add to it.

Equipemtn challenges are part of the sport for me, but you do want to keep it fun. :eyebrow:

Hi, I'm (state your name). I'm a cork.
<i>crowd</i> Hi!

Ok, it's all been said above, but don't worry about it. I physics don't apply to me in diving. My buddy and I are just about the same build, same height, (5'11", med build) only 10 lbs different. I've been diving for 3 years and he's been at it for about 14 months. He wears 21 lbs of lead and I have to wear 32 lbs. WHAT THE!?!?!?! Why can't I sink? I'm completely comfortable, exhale completely, relax and.....float.
I've resigned myself to this fact.

Remember the tank you use will also affect your weight requirements. I am diving a steel tank that requires about 4lbs less lead. Steel is negative when empty while aluminum is positive. The majority of the classes will be taught with aluminum 80's since they are cheaper and widely available. Steel 72's will provide about the same downtime when filled to about 2500psi and are smaller in circumference so they are more comfortable to dive, in addition to requiring less weight. Don't get discouraged! The world beneath is worth the effort.

Integrated weights should make diving much more comfortable for you, but you may be asked to wear a weight belt for at least part of the classes since there are some skills involving removing and replacing your weights (and BC) under water. I don't know if they will teach that skill with integrated weights since they are much more difficult to replace when the BC is on you.

Don't be afraid to discuss your concerns with your instructor. You can't learn if you are not comfortable. Your instructor is there to help you - and will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom