Cannot equalize left ear AFTER resurfacing; 12 hours later, still no dice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try this to clear it if chewing gum does not help. If it is a positive pressure block - Glass of water... Take a mouthful you can easily swallow it all at once... just as you swallow, pinch your nose closed. You may have to experiment to get the timing right. What this does it put a negative pressure in your Eustachian tubes and burp them so to speak. If one is blocked, you will feel the eardrum of one that is not blocked pull in. That one will stabilize at atmospheric pressure. You may have to try this several times while extending your neck in different positions.

If it is a negative pressure block, you will need a nose bulb. You do the same thing except just as you swallow, put the bulb in one nostril and pinch the other shut and squeeze the bulb. That should put a little positive pressure in the tubes. Conversely, you will feel some movement if doing it correctly.

I know a lot of people call this "getting water in your ears", but that can't happen unless you have a hole in your eardrum or get water forced up your Eustachian tubes. About the only way that happens is diving from a good height or a fall while water skiing. Water in the middle ear can be bad news. differing air pressure, not so much unless you can't clear the congestion. Flying or diving can cause barotrauma.

Ear barotrauma: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Most middle ear barotrauma resolves simply with time, and leaves no permanent damage. It is possible, if the pressure differential becomes sufficiently great, to damage the inner ear structures, specifically the round or oval windows in the cochlea. If this occurs, permanent symptoms may result (permanent vertigo and tinnitus). Patients with inner ear damage are generally aware of it, because problems with balance are prominent.

What you describe sounds like water getting trapped in the outer ear. I've had this and usually tilting and tapping on my head gets the water to drain. For stubborn cases it has taken hours and the full feeling is gone. I would see an ENT doctor, preferably someone with dive knowledge. There may be some obstruction or possibly your outer canel is small. There are ear plugs with holes in them that keep the canel open and allow the water to drain but check with your doctor first.

I had an inner ear trauma due to a reverse block. I was ascending through 40 feet when suddenly without warning I felt a severe pain in my right ear. The pain was brief perhaps a couple of seconds. I descended immediately a few feet and waited for about a minute. I slowly ascending and felt/heard a gurgling noise in the ear. There was no more pain and I finished the dive. I had that same fullness feeling when you get water trapped in the outer ear but in my case it lasted for a few weeks. The ENT said that fluid and blood from the inner ear had forced its way past my ear drum into the outer canel. After sucking the fluids out he could not see any damage to the ear drum. In fact as we were talking he could see the drum moving, an indication that the drum wasn't perforated. He could not see any very small tears but if there were any these usually heal on their own. Large tears require surgery. He went on to say that the most common injury involving reverse blocks is to the ear drum. A pressure gradient to large can lead to inner ear damage as TSandM mentioned above. Unfortunately, sucking the fluids out led to an outer ear infection requiring antibiotics. After 6 weeks I was cleared to dive and have had no further problems.

On descent clearing too hard can irritate the tissues of the eustachian tubes. More importantly so can clearing too late. If you clear when you feel a slight pain or even a large pressure it is too late. This can cause swelling of the tissues which will close the already small tubes which sets you up for a reverse block. Clear GENTLY within the first few feet and then again at 6 feet or so even if you don't feel anything. Also, on ascent do NOT equalize as you do descending. This will not work and may cause further problems. If you experience pressure coming up stop and very slowly ascend stretching the neck on the side that has the problem. Move your jaw, swallow, move your head back and forth. Ascend very slowly and if necessary stop. Your ear just may need more time. If this doesn't work hang upside down and try the same remedies.

I dove my entire life not knowing I had a underdeveloped maxilary sinus on my left side. I struggled with clearing my left ear for many years. I suffered what we called "reverse squeeze" many times. As stated by a few posts, if you had reverse squeeze you would have trouble ascending. Vertigo, pain, etc.

My condition was only detected after taking an MRI. You may have a unique physical condition. It's just a thought......

Adventure-Ocean

Back
Top Bottom