Where/how should I tether my console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like others have mentioned, I clip my console on the left side of my BCD on the lower d-ring. Works perfectly there. Having said that, I don't see it as a big deal if you clip it off to the right side like you are now doing. If you need to take your BCD off during a dive you're talking about another few seconds at most to unclip it.

I'm going to add another vote for the retractor, and/or for getting the compass onto your wrist.

I have an SPG + compass + depth gauge on my console, and a wrist computer. The console has a retractor on it similar to the one in diversteve's post.

I clip my console across to the right chest D-ring because the hose hangs too far away from me when clipped on the left. However, I can't make the hose shorter because it needs to be long enough to hold the compass front-and-center. This is why the compass on the wrist is a good idea: you can get a shorter, less annoying hose for your console if you only need the console to reach your chest. As soon as I get a wrist-mounted compass, I'm going to get a shorter HP hose, remove the compass from the console, and clip the console to my left chest D-ring. I probably won't need a retractor any more then; I'll just turn the console to see it.

I know some people say clipping the console on the right is a safety hazard, but it is easy to unclip, so I don't know where they get that data from. I can work the clip with gloves on too. I recently finished Rescue class, and nobody had a problem getting the console unclipped and removing my BCD while doing rescue breaths. It's a good idea to mention it to a new buddy, though.

I clip the SPG on my right shoulder D ring. I've used retractors and bolt snaps. The retractor has the advantage male/female clips making for easy removal. But the bolt snap comes off easily with one hand as well. I don't think any one is easier than the other, more what you are used to. I like the right shoulder because for me it's easier to see the gauge. I position the face so I can look at it without having move or pull on the retractor. The face doesn't sit as well or within easy view for me on the left side.

At one time, I dove a console with SPG/Computer/Compass. I wore it clipped to my left hip D-ring on a retractor. Super easy, super convenient and despite what some people will say, the retractor was never a problem. Frankly, if it had quit retracting mid-dive, I'd have just held the console in my hand for the rest of the dive ( No Dangling Allowed!!!) and tossed the retractor afterwards.
Sue still dives an identical console, but she prefers to clip hers at the right shoulder.
Kim dives a jacket, and just tucks hers into her cummerbund.
Tether it in a place and in a manner that prevents it from dangling and makes it easy for you to access. That's all the matters, really.

Another possibility if there is a slot on the side of the console is to tie a bolt snap to the console cave style and clip it off on your lower left d-ring. You can find a tutorial on YouTube that will show you how to tie a cave knot. Pretty much the same suggestion as some others with a bit of a twist to it. I left the console behind and went to a stand alone SPG which I clip off to left d-ring. I like it better there.

The first time you get hung up in fishing line or a net in low visibility and a current, you will quickly hate retractors and clipping stuff across your chest.

The first time you get hung up in fishing line or a net in low visibility and a current, you will quickly hate retractors and clipping stuff across your chest.

Good point--if those things exist where you dive.

Yeah, because so far, I've been hung up approximately zero times. That's only approximate. The actual number might be as high as zero.

Being clipped to my left hip and my right shoulder or my right hip or my crotch strap won't really have any significant affect on my ability to cut the net/line/grasping mermaid.

I have my console clipped to my RIGHT side with a retractor. It keeps it from dragging through the sand and coral. When I finish my safety stop, I clip it to my Left bottom D ring. I also have a wrist mounted Oceanic Atom on my left arm.

I did have it clipped to a lower left D-ring when I dove in Florida but in North Carolina (on the wrecks, I'm not qualified to be in them) I thought it would be more streamlined to bring the console more up and across.

Another issue is that I've learned that my vision isn't good enough to read my console's compass when night diving, but that's another thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom