"Exit" seats on American Airlines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am pleased to inform you guys that AA sorted out my problem when I rang and explained the situation. The agent gave me a seat in Row 9, which according to Reefman's "Seatguru", is the third row from the front in Economy. With a bit of help from the stewards, I should be able to get near the front of the immigration queue from there. She also changed me to Row 7 on the Curacao to Miami flight (a Boeing 737), which is actually the front-most Economy row.

Thanks everyone for helping.

What do you Canadians call those seats that are on the exit rows?
exit rows? What is that? Canadian built planes do not have exit rows. they also do not have passenger seats by "the door". so no exit seats either. just seats.

"the door" being the only passenger door. just 1. it also serves as the emergency exit. and you need to remember to duck or you will hit your head on the way through the door. it is not very tall.

the dash8 i will travel in tomorrow has the strange feature of row 13 being the first row in the plane. the two seats in row 13 face backwards towards seats 1D and 1F. this handy feature provides loads of entertainment for the other travellers whenever a first timer reaches row 12 at the back of the plane and then proceeds to open the lavatory door looking for their missing row 13 seat.

Are you saying the Boeing aircraft that Air Canada flies don't have exits over the wings? How about the Airbus aircraft they fly? No exits over the wings? Hmmm very odd. No big deal just curious what other airlines might call those seats in those rows.

exit rows? What is that? Canadian built planes do not have exit rows. they also do not have passenger seats by "the door". so no exit seats either. just seats.

"the door" being the only passenger door. just 1. it also serves as the emergency exit. and you need to remember to duck or you will hit your head on the way through the door. it is not very tall.

the dash8 i will travel in tomorrow has the strange feature of row 13 being the first row in the plane. the two seats in row 13 face backwards towards seats 1D and 1F. this handy feature provides loads of entertainment for the other travellers whenever a first timer reaches row 12 at the back of the plane and then proceeds to open the lavatory door looking for their missing row 13 seat.

Eh? I thought we called them emergency exit row seating. I'm too
short and weak to get placed in one of those seats but sure don't want to be in the row just in front of the emergency exit row either.

Ok. I need to ask. How much time are we hoping to save with all this seat searching?

How much time are we hoping to save with all this seat searching?
By my reckoning around 20 minutes, which could make a difference. If there are a lot of non-US passengers on the incoming flights, the immigration queues and consequent delays could be quite long. Under those circumstances, it helps if I can get ahead in the queue.

DFW is not a major problem as I have 3 hours and 10 minutes between flights and if I clear US formalities in DFW, the DFW - MIA flight then becomes a domestic connection. But in have only 2 hours and 35 minutes between two international flights in Miami on the return journey and that is where every minute counts.

If Customs/Immigration cue is your biggest worry, Global entry/Nexxus is your friend. Not an emergency exit row seat.

Hintermann is from the UK. Global Entry and NEXUS will not work:

To be eligible for the NEXUS, you must be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada or the United States.
Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, Dutch citizens, South Korean citizens and Mexican nationals.

I recall that by pure luck I was well ahead in the queue in Miami in January while returning from the Cayman Islands. I was under no time pressure then and after collecting luggage, went to the Car Rental place by train, got the car and drove to the Red Roof Inn hear the airport, even briefly getting lost. Sometime later I ran into another passenger whom I recognised was on the same flight as me and coincidentally was staying at the same motel. On comparing notes, it transpired that it had taken her 45 minutes longer to clear the immigration queue.

Sometimes, one can be just unlucky and end-up in a queue where someone (or more) ahead of you is causing a delay. That is why I try to get ahead in Imigration queues wherever possible.

Having just done (3 weeks ago) multiple flights through DFW and Miami, both international-international connections and international-domestic connections you have plenty of time.

Unless of course you plane coming in is 2hours late....

It sounds like you are a bit apprehensive about air travel. Relax :)

Back
Top Bottom