Grenada and the Grenadines -- Sailing and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

t-mac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

My wife and I will be picking up a sailboat in Grenada and sailing up into the Grenadines over the week of Thanksgiving. We are picking up tanks and weights and would like to dive on our own as much as possible. I understand this isn't possible in some places (park rules or lack of moorings/good holding for anchors nearby), but I'm looking for some guidance.

I understand there is a mooring at the sculpture park and so we will probably do that ourselves. Not sure about the Bianca C? Moving north, what about Isle de Ronde? We will definitely visit Carriacou, Union, Mayreau and the Tobago Cays -- may or may not go further. Any advice on where we can and can't (should or shouldn't) dive on our own is appreciated. Also, in places where we need to or should take a guide, recommendations are welcome -- shops that will pick us up on our boat would be great.

Thanks in advance.

t-mac,

The Bianca C is deep 100-130+ so while not a problem to dive it is a problem to anchor there. You can check with the locals if a real dependable mooring is currently in place; might be best as a rendezvous dive. You can dive at Isle de Ronde if the weather is settled they do get small rollers in the bay. There are so many interesting sites open to bareboaters, good chart work may yield some sites you can even claim as your own. Do check (as you are filling your tanks for example) with the LDS for recommendations. They will be more forthcoming if you sound interested in going out with them on a dive or two or setting up a rendezvous.

I have found the Grenada & Carriacou - $4.00 : Complete Diving Guides, Everything you need to know to dive the eastern Caribbean to be great resource while diving/sailing around the Windwards and Leewards. You can download the islands you need in PDFs instead of the whole book.

Thanks, 1erCRU. Yes, not interested in anchoring in 100+ ft or in crappy moorings that set the boat adrift. We will do some rendezvous diving anyway, so we will definitely take your advice. We're getting our tanks and weights from Aquanauts. They've been very friendly so far and I suspect will offer advice (may do the Bianca C with them, now that you mention it). I've also corresponded with Glenroy Adams, about doing some rendezvous diving in the Grenadines. Obviously will need to visit shops for fills too, as you indicate.

Actually, I did download the guide. I've used many of the other sections in the past. I find it pretty good, but would love if it offered a little more detail for folks like us who prefer doing it on our own (gps, best anchorages, don't-bother-on-your-own, etc.). It's sometimes hard to tell if it really is practical to go to some sites on your own. That said, you really can't beat the quality of the information for the price.

Cheers,

t-mac

Good to hear Glenroy is still active, he was diving Union, Mayreau & Tabago Cays frequently. Which reminds me, if the weather is settled (a maybe for Thanksgiving) east of the Tabago Cays, East of Petit Tabac is a rather unique spot to anchor and dive called Worlds End Reef, nose in carefully with the sun behind you, picking your way around scattered coral heads, you'll be able to find a spot close to the reef break while being anchored in flat calm water behind the reef. I've spent a few nights anchored here even a night dive or two. You can see anything on any dive. It is the first stop on the Atlantic equatorial current direct from Africa. AND You'll likely have it all to yourself. Sail Rock is out there too but that's rarely settled enough to anchor or dive, but Glenroy might take you.

Diving in some of these remote sites we will dive with the dinghy in tow on 200lb test or thin cord with a dive flag flying, (hand-held VHF in the dink to) you can always tie it off on the bottom if you find you need to stop.

Hi T-mac, just back from Grenada. Looks like a cruisers paradise.

The only dive site with moorings was the Sculpture park and you need a wrist band to dive it. (I think a few dollars US) It was an ok dive. I'm not a wreck guy but the Bianca C was very impressive. Do try to hit that. Did three wrecks and lots of little reefs and I'm not sure how you would find them with out good local knowledge or gps coordinates. Overall the diving was much better than I expected.

Can't speak to your more northern destinations except that the locals all said the reefs were much nicer in the Grenadines.

Enjoy and avoid the hurricanes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom