Best value 'luxury' liveaboard in the Maldives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiggsy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello all,

I plan to take a group of 14-20 divers to The Maldives in Sept 26-October 4 2015 and am searching for inspiration re the best value 'luxury' liveaboard. I would dive happily out of an old fishing boat, but my good lady wife has high standards in mind and is after a reasonably affordable but very nice ship and newer is better than older. Something around the standard of The Duke of York; or The Carpe Vita ; The MV Leo; MV Virgo would suit (those boats being unavailable for the dates I am after.) The Carpe Diem or Conte Max is available but looks maybe a little homely for her tastes (though I have no doubt it is a great dive operation. Someting around the $250 USD per day woul dsuit. I would value any recommendations.

Hello all,

I plan to take a group of 14-20 divers to The Maldives in Sept 26-October 4 2015 and am searching for inspiration re the best value 'luxury' liveaboard. I would dive happily out of an old fishing boat, but my good lady wife has high standards in mind and is after a reasonably affordable but very nice ship and newer is better than older. Something around the standard of The Duke of York; or The Carpe Vita ; The MV Leo; MV Virgo would suit (those boats being unavailable for the dates I am after.) The Carpe Diem or Conte Max is available but looks maybe a little homely for her tastes (though I have no doubt it is a great dive operation. Someting around the $250 USD per day woul dsuit. I would value any recommendations.

Hi - Sue Hamilton here with Explorer Ventures Liveaboard Fleet. Carpe Vita cruises under our fleet flag as Carpe Vita Explorer and I believe she fits your parameters beautifully. No doubt she's a luxury vessel and one of the newest in the Maldives. She is also one of the few vessels that consistently offers 4 dives a day. We do not have your exact dates but we do have two weeks in September and two weeks in October where we have full boat availability (20 passengers) if your dates are flexible. We also have a great every-day group policy plus we have a group special we could offer for this time period. If you would like to hear more please feel free to contact me at sue@explorerventures.com.

Hi - Sue Hamilton here with Explorer Ventures Liveaboard Fleet. Carpe Vita cruises under our fleet flag as Carpe Vita Explorer and I believe she fits your parameters beautifully. No doubt she's a luxury vessel and one of the newest in the Maldives. She is also one of the few vessels that consistently offers 4 dives a day. We do not have your exact dates but we do have two weeks in September and two weeks in October where we have full boat availability (20 passengers) if your dates are flexible. We also have a great every-day group policy plus we have a group special we could offer for this time period. If you would like to hear more please feel free to contact me at sue@explorerventures.com.

Thanks Sue - unfortunately my dates are not flexible at all - I am stuck with Australian school holidays. I'm actually taking a group of 58 to Atmosphere resort in the Philippines in July holidays and I'm looking for a luxury liveaboard for the dates listed. Carpe Vita would be brilliant - I must admit I hadn't realised how booked up The Maldives Liveaboards get 10 months in advance.

I was on the Duke of York a few weeks ago. Very nice boat with plenty of room, nice amenities, etc. they only offer two dives per day, if that matters. Let me know if you need more info.

Yes it is - I was quoted for my group on The Duke of Yorm and promoted it to the group, to then find out it was actually booked for the dates we can travel.....So I am looking for the 'next best thing' to the Duke of York. Many thanks for your input though.

Hi Wiggsy,

blueotwo have 2 yachts in the Maldives, Blue Honours Legacy was launched last year. I had a quick look on their schedule and they do seem to be full - but sometimes its just a group holding the option - so worthwhile contacting them to ask. Both very lovely boats, with spa facilities, 3 dives per day and night dives (i think 2 per trip).

When are you at Atmosphere? I'm there 04-13 July!

Best of luck
Susie

Susie....what are the odds? Amazing. My group of 56 arrive June 28 and leave July 7 so we overlap. I hope you don't mind sharing with 56 Aussies (well behaved and experienced divers I assure you!). On the liveaboard trail I like the look and the price of the Nautilus 2. 47m long - sleeps 24 in 12 cabins. Unusual in that she is only 2 decks but huge and spacious - large cabins and bathrooms. I'll ask around about the Nautilus 2. Have you been to Atmosphere before? It is my third trip there. I've written a couple of magazine articles on Atmosphere and The Whale Sharks of Oslob if you are interested. Links here - ISSUU - The perfect mix by Alan Wiggs and ISSUU - Artbutanding by Alan Wiggs .

I look forward to catching up with you at Atmosphere.

Brilliant! I have been before (beat you with 4 times!) this time I'm returning with a group of 3 brits, 4 aussies - also from Melbourne- & 2 americans, so I'm sure we can cope with 56 aussies - we're on the Siren beforehand 27th June-4th July. We had to ask the Siren if we could extend our trip by a day as Atmosphere was fully booked on the 3rd... i'm guessing your group was filling many of the places! All sorted now though. Some are only staying until the 8th but I'm there with 4 people until 13th... super lovely long trip for me :)

And now I also know who you are- indeed I read your article in Sport Diving Australia :D look forward to meeting you at Atmosphere next year.

back to the main point of the thread... Nautilus 2 is a good boat, so i've understood. I knew 1 of the previous cruise managers (Joe Dallison now working at Perth Scuba). If its not booked then most certainly a good option.

Wow - small world gets smaller. I know Joey Pool from Perth Scuba so might she if she can put me in touch with Joe Dallison for some information. So jealous that you are on the Siren (I quoted it once but we couldn't quite go that far sadly). And yes it would be my group that were filling the places - in fact we had the whole resort initially - Gabrielle persuaded me to release 4 of the apartments...and now I'm literally having to knock people back as we have closed off the trip now - 1 month prior to deposits even being due. Atmosphere is such a great option - has proven very popular. One day I must do this for a living.

Took a trip on the Maldives Princess in Jan. very comfortable and well maintained. Great crew, great djhoni boat and crew as well. Overall, a great trip, and well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom