Trip Report - Smiling Seahorse Similans / Blackwater trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjmochi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Glad to be finally back in the water after a year!

This was a special blackwater trip - we did blackwater dives every day except for 1, and did 2 blackwater dives on the last day for a total of 5. This was my first time trying BW and despite not having the right gear, it was a lot of fun. Downside is it got me hooked on BW and convinced me to spend more $$$ to upgrade my camera.

Pictures here: Thailand Blackwater (Jan 2024)

We did 22 dives over the course of 6 days. I was shocked at the water temperature - this is my second trip to the Similans and I don't remember it being this cold last time around - but we frequently had thermoclines down to 25-26. I only bought my 3mm (thinking it would be 29-30) and wished I had my drysuit. There was also a lot of stinging jellies in the water on the last 2 days. Visibility was quite poor which was another shock vs what I remember from Dec 2018.
1707880417272.png

Blackwater can only be done in the Koh Bon area and a lot of the days were accordingly spent at Koh Bon and Koh Taichai. It does get repetitive after a while. I find the topography a bit boring with all the rocks and not very much coral or color and wished we had the chance to visit some of the other sites in Similans and Surin that I remembered being quite pretty. It's a tradeoff for doing blackwater every day which is fine - I just didn't realise we would repeat so many sites. No mantas or whale sharks here this time either.

2 days were spent at Richelieu which was lovely - best reef / fish action / overall dives by far. Nothing big tho - no mantas, sharks, or even turtles. A few octopus, some decent macro (finally saw my first harlequin shrimp! both white and yellow ornate ghost pipefish, hairy shrimp, oranguatan crab, a few nudies and cowries), a lot of hunting action (barracudas, trevallys), and really pretty soft corals filled with glass fish. I wish we had more days here instead of Koh Bon but logistically not possible with the blackwater schedule.

The boat is owned by a lovely French couple Frank and Camile and attracts mostly Europeans - over half the guests were French and kept to themselves. The food was also mostly Western or fusion - very little traditional Thai food (and sadly nothing spicy), I would've liked a better mix. Not as good or as many options as the best liveaboards I've been on (Carpe Diem, Philippine Siren) but tasty enough. They stagger the dive groups (sometimes going to different sites) which is great for diving but means unless you're the first group in the water by the time you get to lunch/dinner it is usually lukewarm or cold. Food is usually a big plus on liveaboard trips for me so this was a bit of a bummer. Cabins are small but adequate although I don't think it's cleaned very frequently - things like toilet rolls not replenished daily. It definitely feels more budget than the likes of Mermaid I, Philippine Siren, etc. but then again the price reflects that as well.

We had Alex Tyrell on this trip who gave daily presentations on BW diving basics and photography tips which was great. Frank is also an avid photographer and he and Alex both helped optimise/troubleshoot some of my gear which was much appreciated. I also asked Alex a bunch of random questions and learned a lot. The BW special trip (as well as the underwater photography special trip after this one) attracts a lot of photographers some of whom are quite pro and it's great for learning something from everyone.

Something I found strange is the way they do pick ups after dives - which I've never encountered before out of the 8 liveaboards I've done - they only have 1 dinghy for 4 groups and they will pick up your camera but ask that you hold on to a rope, then tow you to the main boat. It's quite uncomfortable and getting back on the main boat is also quite difficult especially in big swells, I got a lot of bruises on my shins. Most liveaboards will pick you up directly in the dinghy - and will let you take off your tank in the water so it's easy to get up the ladder. I did ask for this halfway through and they accommodated but it was not standard practice.

I was a bit disappointed with the dive guides. I can understand it's difficult with so many photographers, but there were a few incidents that really annoyed me. I lost my group once and found another group but was told I can't join them and continue the dive (despite having plenty of air) but had to surface immediately - the rationale being the group that you lost is also meant to surface once they realised they lost you and everyone goes down again together. Except my group didn't follow that and continued to dive - so my dive was the only one that got cut short. Frank talked to my guide after that and she said it was too difficult to manage 3 photographers, so I got swapped to a different group after that which only had 1 other photographer. Yet somehow we still managed to lose our guide on one dive with just the two of us - the two of us was together only the guide was lost. I heard there were a couple of others that lost their group as well. On another dive it was just me and the guide and towards the end I was waiting to take photos of a harlequin shrimp, had plenty of air and was only on 51min of dive time (their policy is max 60min), my guide signaled safety stop and I signaled to my guide I wanted to wait until the person was done and get 1-2min with the harlequin, but she continued to repeatedly flash her light in my face until I gave up and followed. I was quite annoyed and asked to go back on the next dive (which was also just me and her), she agreed but then we never went back! I wanted to shoot wide angle on the 3rd dive but was forced to go macro again because she didn't take me back to the harlequin on the second dive, and then by that time it had moved under a rock and there was no way to get a good shot. Obviously outside her control but I don't know why it was so urgent we safely stop at 51min and we couldn't wait 2min on the first dive. The 2 guides I had did point out some macro but nowhere near the frequency as the guides I've had on Mermaid I (Komodo - Wayan), Carpe Diem (Raja Ampat - Agus), or Philippine Siren (Visayas - Jonato) - I think comparing vs Lembeh or Anilao guides would be unfair but the other 3 are similarly wide angle / macro combo destinations.

My first trip to Similans was in Dec 2018 on the Gentle Giant which felt similar in accommodation comfort, had much better food (or perhaps more fair to say food suited to my tastes - was mostly authentic Thai, still some of the best Thai food I've ever had), a more varied itinerary (going down to both Similans and south Andaman). I loved the Smiling Seahorse for the unique blackwater dives, the multiple days at Richelieu (which again I think only they do), but the food and the few mishaps do give me pause in whether I would want to go back. As a whole other than Richelieu I felt the diving in Similans was a big notch below Raja and Komodo, and don't feel super inclined to repeat immediately. It's good diving, but it's hard to top the other two.

The weather and water conditions have been a bit weird this year up and down Thailand's Andaman coast. The temps at Similans have been 23-26° celsius off and on for a month or so. I think this colder weather has been bringing in the jellyfish swarms as well. At least they're mostly medium to large jellies (and not very stingy) and easy to see and avoid. For many of the reasons you point out, I now rarely do LOBs, and much prefer resort diving. Thailand isn't know for macro and most people go to the Similans hoping for big stuff. You want macro, stick to Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines. Like you, I think the Similans is waaay over rated and IMO, a southern Andaman LOB to Koh Haa, Hin Daeng/Muang, and Koh Lipe is the way to go.

The 2 guides I had did point out some macro but nowhere near the frequency as the guides I've had on Mermaid I (Komodo - Wayan), Carpe Diem (Raja Ampat - Agus), or Philippine Siren (Visayas - Jonato) - I think comparing vs Lembeh or Anilao guides would be unfair but the other 3 are similarly wide angle / macro combo destinations.
If you want to shoot macro, you have to buddy up with Camille - the way she finds the small stuff is simply breathtaking.

Downside is it got me hooked on BW and convinced me to spend more $$$ to upgrade my camera.
Welcome to the club! :yeahbaby: A7RV or A1? I just got an a6700 and it's amazing how much the AF is improved.

My first trip to Similans was in Dec 2018 on the Gentle Giant which felt similar in accommodation comfort, had much better food (or perhaps more fair to say food suited to my tastes - was mostly authentic Thai, still some of the best Thai food I've ever had), a more varied itinerary (going down to both Similans and south Andaman). I loved the Smiling Seahorse for the unique blackwater dives, the multiple days at Richelieu (which again I think only they do), but the food and the few mishaps do give me pause in whether I would want to go back. As a whole other than Richelieu I felt the diving in Similans was a big notch below Raja and Komodo, and don't feel super inclined to repeat immediately. It's good diving, but it's hard to top the other two.
FWIW, the Smiling Seahorse also has a north+south Andaman route, looking at my log from Dec'22, it went like this: Koh Haa Lagoon, Hin Muang, Hin Daeng, Hin Daeng (night), 8 Mile Rock, 8 Mile Rock, Stonehenge, blackwater, Hin Muang, Hin Daeng, Koh Haa Cathedral, Shark Fin Reef, Elephant Head Rock, Three Trees, blackwater, Koh Bon, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Koh Tachai, Surin Islands something, Yellow Rock (Surin), Richelieu Rock, Richelieu Rock, Koh Tachai, Koh Bon. They're also one of the few boats that go to Myanmar - it was shut down due to covid, but finally reopened this season; if nothing goes wrong I'll be there in three weeks.

Thanks for the report! Being towed by a dinghy does sound unpleasant and is a strange practice I've never heard of before.

Frank talked to my guide after that and she said it was too difficult to manage 3 photographers,

If their dive guides can't manage multiple photographers why are they offering photography trips?!

Thanks for the report! Being towed by a dinghy does sound unpleasant and is a strange practice I've never heard of before.

If their dive guides can't manage multiple photographers why are they offering photography trips?!
Dingy towing while not commonplace is not unheard of at least around SE Asia where I dive. Sometimes it's preferable to clambering over the edge of the boat. As long as the water is relatively calm and it's a short tow , I don't have a problem with it.

If you want to shoot macro, you have to buddy up with Camille - the way she finds the small stuff is simply breathtaking.

Welcome to the club! :yeahbaby: A7RV or A1? I just got an a6700 and it's amazing how much the AF is improved.

FWIW, the Smiling Seahorse also has a north+south Andaman route, looking at my log from Dec'22, it went like this: Koh Haa Lagoon, Hin Muang, Hin Daeng, Hin Daeng (night), 8 Mile Rock, 8 Mile Rock, Stonehenge, blackwater, Hin Muang, Hin Daeng, Koh Haa Cathedral, Shark Fin Reef, Elephant Head Rock, Three Trees, blackwater, Koh Bon, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Koh Tachai, Surin Islands something, Yellow Rock (Surin), Richelieu Rock, Richelieu Rock, Koh Tachai, Koh Bon. They're also one of the few boats that go to Myanmar - it was shut down due to covid, but finally reopened this season; if nothing goes wrong I'll be there in three weeks.
I only found out Camile was eagle eyed towards the end!
I decided on A7RV, debated A1 but couldn't justify it in the end. I'm still thinking whether I want to get a Nikon or Canon 60 + adapter, or splurge on the EMWL and 100 degree objective. Multiple people shooting Sony FF in Singapore is using the 90mm with EMWL/100 for blackwater and says it's super fast.
Are you doing the Anilao BW trip with Alex in April?
Myanmar trip sounds interesting - do share after!

I only found out Camile was eagle eyed towards the end!
Now you know - and you've got a reason to come back! :D

I decided on A7RV, debated A1 but couldn't justify it in the end. I'm still thinking whether I want to get a Nikon or Canon 60 + adapter, or splurge on the EMWL and 100 degree objective. Multiple people shooting Sony FF in Singapore is using the 90mm with EMWL/100 for blackwater and says it's super fast.
That's an interesting setup, although EMWL is said to be somewhat difficult to maneuver in the water, being severely front-heavy. The 90mm definitely feels a lot faster on the a6700 than it did on my a6300, and I suspect A7RV is much the same. The Canon 60mm is still faster overall, but 90mm seems to be more reliable - Canon 60mm is still somewhat prone to hunting, albeit much less than on the older body.

Are you doing the Anilao BW trip with Alex in April?
I wish, but no, can't swing it. Real life commitments getting in the way.

Myanmar trip sounds interesting - do share after!
Will do!

The weather and water conditions have been a bit weird this year up and down Thailand's Andaman coast. The temps at Similans have been 23-26° celsius off and on for a month or so. I think this colder weather has been bringing in the jellyfish swarms as well. At least they're mostly medium to large jellies (and not very stingy) and easy to see and avoid.
Most of the jellyfish that I had came across recently in Koh Lanta were very small and with long tentacles. The sting was not too bad but I certainly felt the pain in my face and required vinegar treatment as for most of the divers on board.
Easy to see but could not be avoided because of the shear numbers.

Get the fact right!!!!

Being towed by a dinghy is NOT present at all especially if you have to hold on the gunwales. A drift line is preferred.
It is NOT a common practice.

Being towed by a dinghy is NOT present at all especially if you have to hold on the gunwales. A drift line is preferred.
It is NOT a common practice.
They are using a line off the dinghy's bow, with the dinghy going in reverse. It generally takes a couple minutes to get towed to the big boat, which has a pair of fin-friendly ladders to get out to the diving platform, and a large grate between them to hold on to. When the sea isn't perfectly calm, I personally find this much easier than clambering out of the dinghy as it bounces around on the waves - just wait for the ladder to go down, grab it, and ride it upwards. Getting out onto the dinghy itself also used to be a major pain, as up until the previous season, it (the Smiling Seahorse's dinghy, that is) didn't have a ladder, so you had to remove everything but the fins, drop down, launch yourself upward and hope to have enough momentum to get your legs over the side - a tow was much preferred to this. They did install a fold-out ladder for the 22/23 season, so that makes it easier, but it's still a little RHIB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom