What level of DAN insurance to you carry?

Which DAN insurance plan did you chose?

• Standard ($30)

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Master ($40)

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Preferred ($75)

Votes: 76 59.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Superlyte27, seriously? Ad Hominem attacks? Ignore.

Last edited:
Perhaps the biggest thing that DAN brings to the party is knowledge of hyperbaric injuries. Sure they may end up getting your primary health insurer to eventually reimburse all their costs, but they have a reputation of getting you in a chamber or on a chopper ASAP without waiting for a committee or supervisor to make a decision.

For me, it is worth every penny just for their administrative assistance when minutes count. I pity the guy trying to call the California version of Obamacare to see if they cover getting bent in Truk, let alone wait around to see what they will do about it.

Absolutely minutes do count. And I don't know about everyone else but my regular med insurance has raised copay and reduced docs in my 'network'.

I have DAN Preferred insurance, not only because of what is covered and the amount of coverage in Preferred, but because of what is excluded in the Master plan. Preferred is the minimum I have ever considered, and when it comes time to renew, I will look further into the Guardian plan as well.

What is excluded in the Master plan that tips you to the Preferred plan (other than the coverage amounts)?

superlyte27, seriously? ad hominum attacks? Ignore.

oh no!!! Lol.

I had to look it up. The word made me think of hummus, which I love. :D

From Wiki:
An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, means responding to arguments by attacking a person's character, rather than to the content of their arguments. When used inappropriately, it is a fallacy in which a claim or argument is dismissed on the basis of some irrelevant fact or supposition about the author or the person being criticized.[2] Ad hominem reasoning is not always fallacious, for example, when it relates to the credibility of statements of fact or when used in certain kinds of moral and practical reasoning.[3]

Yeah, given all that info, I stand by all the statements I've made in this thread. :)

None of the above.

Due to the amount that we travel, we have a single policy that covers both of us for trip cancellation, trip interruption and all medical issues. It does cost more than DAN but it also covers way more than DAN (there is no free lunch).

It is the things that DAN does (did?) not cover that caused us to look at other providers. We found a single provider that covers all of our needs in a single policy.

Be aware that these types of insurance vary depending upon where you live. What is available to me may not be available to others since you live in a different place.

Preferred. Can't get Gaurdian, live in Wa State and the Preferred is the best coverage I can get.

Last edited:
What is excluded in the Master plan that tips you to the Preferred plan (other than the coverage amounts)?

We seem to be losing things in the Preferred plan since the Guardian plan came out and there is now only one difference besides large variances in the coverage amounts. The Medical Non-Dive Accident coverage seems to be the only difference besides coverage amounts.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine was on a dive boat on her first day in Cozumel, and the DM had walked in front of her as she was seated on the bench. All of a sudden the DM turned around and his tank whacked her on the forehead and a buckle or something slashed just above her eyebrow. She was bleeding profusely and they worked to stop the bleeding and bandage her up. The boat went on to do their 2 dives and she stayed on board. She began to not feel well, lethargic and hazy. Finally after they were done, they took her to the clinic. She was diagnosed with having a concussion, and needed a lot of stitches, I don't remember exactly how many. Luckily for her, the doctor at the clinic that day was a plastic surgeon, and he did an excellent job stitching her up and she healed beautifully. He said she couldn't dive for at least a few weeks, and her vision was hazy and she felt like she was "in a fog" for several weeks after.

It was her first day of a dive trip, and she never got to dive. She tried to claim on her DAN insurance, and she was denied because she only had the Master plan. DAN told her that if she had at least the Preferred plan, she would have been covered for the medical non-dive accident. Her travel insurance only paid out for the medical expenses, and after repeated discussions with the dive op, she finally got her money back for the week of unused dives. But for the all-inclusive trip ruined on the first day, nada.

Now that I look at the DAN website and how the plans are evolving and the Preferred is not that much better than the Master, I am going to renew with the Guardian plan. The differences between the two plans is great:
Additional Medical Transportation$100,000
Home Country Medical Evacuation $50,000
Search & Rescue $50,000
Medical Coverage for Named Water Sports $30,000

Preferred has none of those, and they're worth having.

Now that I look at the DAN website and how the plans are evolving and the Preferred is not that much better than the Master, I am going to renew with the Guardian plan. The differences between the two plans is great:
Additional Medical Transportation
$100,000
Home Country Medical Evacuation
$50,000
Search & Rescue
$50,000
Medical Coverage for Named Water Sports
$30,000

Preferred has none of those, and they're worth having.

Ayisha, thanks for following up on the post. From what I can tell, the issues not covered under the Master plan that are included under the Guardian plan are covered under my travel insurance except for "Search & Rescue." I'll have to look closer into that and talk with my insurance agent. I'm not sure how search & rescue is billed. If anyone has been through that scenario, I would like to hear about it. The DAN search & rescue coverage seems to be new (or stated differently) with the Guardian plan.

I believe your friend's non-diving medical incident and the loss of the rest of her trip would have been covered by my travel insurance under medical and trip interruption. All are good things to have covered. Just have to find a way to cover them without too much overlap in order to keep it cost effective. Thanks again for the reply.

Last edited:
So help me out here. I have no health insurance in the USA now coz I am leaving the country for multiple years in 6 weeks. I'll be in the Philippines 6+ months, traveling on my own Ph motorcycle, diving, and hiking and mountain scrambling. Then to South America on my US motorbike, doing the same for a year +. What insurance company, and/or DAN level, cover me for all these activities? Advice needed fast.

So help me out here. I have no health insurance in the USA now coz I am leaving the country for multiple years in 6 weeks. I'll be in the Philippines 6+ months, traveling on my own Ph motorcycle, diving, and hiking and mountain scrambling. Then to South America on my US motorbike, doing the same for a year +. What insurance company, and/or DAN level, cover me for all these activities? Advice needed fast.

Wow, if you are lucky enough to do that for a couple of years I think you are probably too lucky to need insurance :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom