Food on dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bring these Welch's® Fruit Snacks

Yum!! Gets any salt water taste out of your mouth, gives you a bit of a boost between dives, and they do fine in the heat or cold. I toss them all in the fridge when I get to the room on day 1, and bring a few bags to each dive.

The key to not having stuff stolen is to not have anything that looks like it might be worth stealing. Sounds semantic, but think like a petty thief:

If you were looking for a quick score you might grab THIS...

cooler-bags-china.jpg

...not to steal someone's lunch, but in the hopes that they also stashed a wallet, sunglasses, or even just a few bills in the bag. The petty thief MO is "grab and go" rather than take the time to search through the bag.

On the other hand... it's fairly obvious that there's nothing in here BUT lunch.

sandwich-bags1.jpg

My buddy and I brought some sandwiches and frozen bottles of water with us every day, keeping both in a plastic shopping bag. Frozen bottles kept everything OK temp-wise... and theft-wise. That said, by the middle of the week we hadn't seen/heard of any issues on island we took a chance by putting food and drinks in a 6-pack size cooler bag.

S3 T1000 Watertight Case I just got one of these. It's small but should hold an electronic key. Cheap too - so hopefully it will stay dry. I may put the key in a ziplock baggie too, for a little added protection.

This may be a stupid question since I have never shore dove before... Where do you put the keys to the truck? When boat diving I can take keys and wallet on the boat and put in dry box...

In the pocket of your drysuit undergarments... duh!

:d

word!

i bet some of you might be thinking "oh no, here we go again..." and are maybe even holding your breaths waiting for me to climb up on my soapbox again. But i gotta admit that i agree with this. Stealing a fella's iphone is one thing, but it's bad karma to mess with his sammich.

View attachment 201583

As keys go you can go to your dealer and get a plastic key made. looks like a credit card to open the door with. there aer also key safes for trailer hitch's
As food goes if i am close to a resteraunt i do that. Some places are too far for that and i take some for a lack of better names mRE"s that have the heater bag in them.

My wife and I first went to Bonaire in 2012. After our first dive we came back to the truck to find our cheap soft sided cooler totally rummaged through. As was the glove compartment and center console. Nothing missing And no further incidents the rest of the week.

I've been there several times and never had anything taken from my truck. Put your stuff out of sight and don't worry. I agree that this is largely blown out of proportion. Not that it doesn't happen - but it's certainly not a common problem.

WRT car keys etc. I don't take anything other than some dollars and the truck keys to my BC and the dollars are in a waterproof case, though mine leaks so it is just a case. Everywhere accepts dollars wet or dry and the truck rental companies expect their keys to go diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom