Captain Dons Habitat - Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will be missing out on the whole Bonaire experience by not renting a truck! 80+ marked shore dive sites, just pull up your truck, gear up and dive on your schedule. From Captain Don's you can surface swim north and dive The Cliff dive site, or surface swim south to Buddy's Reef (don't waste air getting to the sites). We stay right next to Captain Don's, the house reef is good, there are some restaurants and the Chinese grocery store walking distance. Otherwise you will probably want a taxi to get into town. Either way, enjoy your trip! We arrive on April 20th for 2 weeks, can't wait!
We'd like to rent, but are both under 26 and unfamiliar driving stick. Any suggestions??

Are you under 26 and unfamiliar driving stick? 🤣

Have you checked multiple car rental agencies about the minimum age? I see on AB Car Rental, Bonaire Truck Rental (bonairetruckrental.com), and Prins (recently recommended in someone's trip report, offered automatic transmission) they all list a minimum age of 23. I'm guessing others have a minimum of 23 as well.

We'd like to rent, but are both under 26 and unfamiliar driving stick. Any suggestions??
Check out Prins Car Rental Home | Prins Car Rental Bonaire. Not sure of age requirements, but they have automatics. Also, make sure you get a truck. Most rental agencies in Bonaire don’t allow shore diving out of anything else.
Have a great time!

Erik

If you are looking at Capt. Don's, you may want to look at Buddy's also. Buddy's also has boats and a good house reef. You can head north toward Capt Don's (Reef Scientifico/La Machaca) or you can head south towards Bari Reef.

Best idea is to also get a car.

If you are looking at Capt. Don's, you may want to look at Buddy's also. Buddy's also has boats and a good house reef. You can head north toward Capt Don's (Reef Scientifico/La Machaca) or you can head south towards Bari Reef.
I was thinking about the logistics—from Don’s, Cliff and La Machaca are handy, and Buddy’s is walkable to dive Bari and Front Porch—and vice versa. But from Don’s, it’s an easy walk to DF at Cliff, which is an easy night dive back to Don’s. Probably six of one?

Make sure to arrange an automatic well in advance; you don't want to show up and assume they can get you one the day you arrive to pick it up.

You will want a truck. Been awhile since I was in Bonaire, but I really liked Captain Don's reef, and you've got Buddy's Reef to the south and The Cliff to the north. It's a good location for night dives since it's convenient. I haven't stayed at Captain Don's.

You will have a great time diving at capt dons for a week even without a truck and doing the shore dives. Just make sure you book some boat dives

I agree with Tkaelin, If you are too young to rent a truck, don't sweat it. The shore diving from Cap Don"s and Buddy Dive docks is excellent. There are several restaurants within walking distance, and the boat dives will add to the variety of locations you get to experience.

If you make friends with a few people on the dive boat, I'm sure they will be willing to take you with on their off site shore diving expeditions as well.

@Devonled , driving a stick isn't rocket science. Have someone give you a few lessons and you'll be fine. And there are no traffic lights or hills on Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom