is the PADI course worth the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's going to depend on the instructor, as usual. A class with someone who is really good at it - and good at passing along that knowledge - should be worth it. If the instructor isn't really much of an expert themselves, just checking off the boxes, maybe not so much. (If you know little to begin with and aren't good at learning it on your own, then I suppose you're bound to learn something from any instructor who's at least somewhat competent - but if possible you may as well hold out for something better.)

It doesn't matter if the class happens to get you a PADI card, that doesn't automatically mean its a lame class. My husband (who knew quite a bit about photography to begin with) took the PADI specialty eons ago from someone who was a professional UW photographer and had a photo shop on Bonaire, and it was certainly worthwhile for him.

The UW Photography class I took was well worth the money but it was because the instructor had put together a good class. This is, unfortunately, the case with all classes -- it REALLY IS all about the instructor.

This is a great question for every program.
Would you take a course if you already had the knowledge and skills to meet certification? I think you would be best to spend your money on something that would increase your skills and abilities.

While some programs may be required to achieve a higher certification level, photography is not one of them.
Most specialty programs are designed to introduce a specific subject matter to the student that has limited knowledge and needs to develop the required skills. It is ultimately up to the student to learn the material and become proficient with the skills. If you are unfamiliar with the subject or if you need to develop specific skills you will learn something If you know a great deal you will not learn as much.

While programs can very here is a list of the very basic photography topic areas;
1-Understanding how your digital camera works
2-Your cameras automatic and assisted settings
3-Your cameras manual settings (shutter speed, ISO and aperture and how they affect the photo)
4-Composition and technique (opinions can very but we look at a few items that tend to result in better pictures)
5-Editing images in post (different techniques for color correction and possible touch ups)

For photography some of the best programs cover material beyond the what would be covered in a standard specialty program. It may or may not include a card but the reality is you do not need one to take pictures.

Before you sign up you should know what is being covered and determine if it will suit your goals. If it doesn't talk to the instructor and see if they can cater a program to your needs, or find one that does and then enjoy it verses saying I did not learn anything what a waist of money.

I'd get in a pool---or somewhere with great vis & clam waters---& practice practice practice-------certainly you can find(from someone) good starting settings & refine from there.........The only class I'd pay for(ie would be of any good)------IMO-----is from someone(who knows what she/he is doing) with the SAME(basic) camera setup....All this is really not that hard----heck Alcina, here @ SB about 8 years ago, 'set me straight' on proper 'numbers' to start with-& we're probably located 5 or 6 k miles apart......:).......good luck in your 'new' picture taking though.........

BTW, what setup/how different is your new camera rig the old one.......???

I've been taking pictures with an SLR for quite a few years. I'm quite familiar with aperture, its effect on DOF, shutter speed, its effect on motion blur, the interplay of aperture, shutter speed and ISO value, and the concept of flash photography, both manual, aperture auto and TTL. I would love a UW photo class that was kind of a workshop, focusing (pun not intended) on composition, imagery and strobe positioning. I would regard a UW photo class that focused (again, pun not intended) on how to operate the camera as a complete waste of my time and money. ETA (edited to add): And I - personally - could hardly care less whether or not I got a piece of PADI plastic from it.

I guess that what I'm trying to say is to check the actual contents of a UW photo course and compare it to your personal requirements before signing up.

Reactions: RJP
The person who taught the photography courses at the shop with where I formerly worked was a very serious photographer who took absolutely spectacular shots. The walls of the shop were decorated with some real beauties. When you took a class from him, you were certainly going to learn a whole lot of stuff that went beyond the basics of the course. That course would be worth every penny and much more.

It is also possible to have the course taught by someone whose experience barely transcended the barest requirements for the course. That person may have good instructional skills, and the course might be worth the price.

Finally, it is possible to take the course from someone whose skill makes you wonder why they even thought they could teach it. That person might compound the problem by not being a good instructor.

In other words--drum roll please--it's the instructor. I think this is one course in particular where you really, really want to shop around and make sure the person who is teaching the course has what it takes to give you the level of instruction you want.

Starker -- just a few comments about the UW Photography class I took -- after I was a reasonably competent land photographer. We focused on (pun intended) the issues of taking images underwater -- color absorption and strobe effectiveness were the two main concerns. We measured how effective my strobe was by taking numerous shots along a tape measure (answer -- after about 4 feet, strobe had no effect).

We also shot images of "fish on a reef" at the bottom of the pool with the idea of trying to figure out composition.

I thought, and still think, it was well worth the money and time.

Bought a new camera system (my second setup) and heading to Bonaire in a month. Olympus TD3 with sea and sea strobe. Some friends will be taking the PADI photo class ($200). Is it worth the money? Optical Oceans, where I purchased the system from, was not impressed with the class. They stated I could learn what they taught by reading this board and most importantly learning my camera before going. Thoughts? Thanks Bill
based on the info at this link PADI Course - Digital Underwater Photographer | PADI the course seems to be a basic beginner course. since this is your second camera, i assume you are not a beginner. iMHO the answer is NO.

BUT: a photo course can be a great idea. as long as it is tailored to what you want to learn. so what do you want to learn?

i would start by trying to formulate a list
- concepts that are a little fuzzy or unclear
- concepts you know mostly nothing about
- common mistakes (poor shots) that you have not yet solved
- different types of shots you want to be able to take
- etc...

if the course covers many of the items in your list, then take it.

I would take a GUE Fundamentals course long before a photography course. It teaches above all how to not use your hands (free to hold the camera) and move efficiently forward, backwards, sideways (think parallel parking), up, down, etc. It also gives you the tools to have situational awareness and not be one of those useless photographer dive buddies who's so task loaded, they can barely take care of themselves.

I have been teaching the PADI Digital UW Photo course for years. This is a course that has some really great latitude for the instructor, so in this case, moreso than many other courses, it really is about the instructor and what he/she brings to the table. My personal approach to the course is focusing on two primary areas - (i) critical dive skills and (ii) the basics of photography and how the underwater world interacts with it. Sometimes I think the importance of dive skills is under-emphasized, so I make it a point to bring this element to the forefont.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom