Diving with Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You tell me which one is more scary.....

keeping-up-with-the-kardashians.jpg

Or....

Bahamas_Sharks_01.jpg

This. +1.

Nothing is being killed (except the bait).

Unlike virtually every other case of fishing on planet Earth.

I attended a presentation by Jean-Michel Cousteau a couple years ago. Afterwords I asked him what he thought of "shark feeding dives." Cousteau had no problems with the concept saying if it enlightened people about the true nature of sharks he saw that as a positive.

I would rather see them "in the wild".

While people often speak of seeing sharks 'naturally' (often at a distance and moving on) vs. unnaturally on feeding dives (often up close and in numbers), this is a bit of a red herring (particularly since one can do both; it's not necessarily either/or).

For many dive tourists who pay thousands for sporadic trips to exotic destinations, it can be the difference between seeing sharks or not seeing them at all, or seeing a nurse shark or two vs. a bunch of reef sharks, or a few reef sharks vs. some lemon, bull & tiger sharks.

Granted, there are other ways. Lord willing and providing, I've booked a trip late summer to dive out of Morehead City, North Carolina. And while I like wrecks (which is about all the diving there; south out of Wilmington the NC divers have the option to dive some ledges), that's not why I want to go. I want to dive in close quarters with sand tiger sharks. Preferably a bunch. People hit Jupiter, Florida, in the spring for the lemon shark gathering for much the same reason.

If the original poster has an interest in overcoming 'shark anxiety' so as to be comfortable in the water when seeing them (within reason), picking a trip with a high probability of fairly close quarters diving with a sizable but 'benign' species (that looks 'sharky' - whale sharks, nurse sharks & wobbegongs don't count) might be useful.

Richard.

Why do you want to see them? Can't you see them in the Myrtle Beach Aquarium? Why risk that they might not like you Cam? This is a "semi-troll" my friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom