Hog D1 cold water - direction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mekyoung

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This may be a dumb question, but I have looked all over and can't seem to find the answer.

I have a D1 cold water first stage. Does the red cold water diaphragm go on top or on the bottom when attached to the tank, or does it matter?

I'm confused because the Hog logo on the swivel turret is readable with the diaphragm on top, but the "HP" stamped on the main turret is upside down in that configuration.

This is on a single tank setup.

Thanks

Bottom.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it matter? - No, but I have always oriented my first stages with the turret down, IMHO, it protects and "streamlines" better..

doesn't matter as once you are horizontal the regulator is flat regardless of where it was pointed at the surface. Unless I am in a drysuit, I run all turret regulators for single tanks sideways with the octo coming out of the 5th port, but for optimum hose routing with a drysuit the red cap goes up and it is at a slight angle to allow both sides of the turret to be used for LP hoses.

For single tanks, I put the diaphragm down to reduce the overall height of the valve (more clearance for my noggin) and i figure it protects the diaphram better. With doubles I put the diaphragm up to aid in hose routing.

It depends on your hose routing. Putting the diaphragm on the bottom can make it quite difficult to a) spin a DIN regulator onto the tank, and b) reach your tank valve. If you are wetsuit diving, using the 5th port leads to a very nice hose routing. If you are dry suit diving, it doesn't, so you really need the first stage vertical.

Just for the sake of completeness, the red cover everyone is talking about isn't the diaphragm - it's the environmental seal. The diaphragm is well below that in the barrel of the reg.

And I keep my environmental seal pointing up. :)

-Adrian

Thanks, you all are great.

From the responses, it looks like it doesn't really matter from a functional standpoint. Just choose the direction that gives you the best hose routing for your setup.

Adrian, thanks for clarifying.

Thanks,
Eric

OK, OK. It is a diaphragm * A flexible membrane separating two chambers and fixed around its periphery that distends into one or other chamber as the difference in the pressure in the chambers varies.* that is uused this this case to seal and transfer ambient pressure. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom